Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 08:38 PM

26,506 posts, read 36,360,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I lived in Washington State, loved it but the crappy drizzly weather I can do without.
For that reason alone SE Alaska wouldn't be a good fit for you. You might think about the east side of the Kenai. The outskirts of Fairbanks might work for you too.

A proficient chef in Alaska--as in most anywhere in the U.S., really...can pick and choose where they work, so your wife shouldn't have a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 02:12 AM

1,121 posts, read 4,471,827 times
Default skip the panhandle, alright

If "drizzley stuff" gets you down, you're gonna want to skip pretty much the whole SouthEast Alaska panhandle. It's all about rain here; sideways rain, hard rain, continuous rain, just plain rain, intermittent rain, light rain, occasional rain, drizzly rain, just a spot of rain...yeah, it rains a lot here.

Unless it's snowing, in which case just wait a bit and it'll rain on the snow.

As far as the "chef' thing goes...well...most of Alaska is more like "cook" territory but there are certainly exceptions.

The "chef" type restaurants are in the bigger cities, almost without exception. But...keep in mind that the biggest "big city" in Alaska is just a medium-sized 'ville by lower-48 standards. People on this BB act like Anchorage is some sort of Soddom and Gomorrah, but it's a medium-sized town with medium-sized town problems and better than medium-sized town attractions. Despite it's "notoriety" here in Alaska, you can do a LOT worse than Anchorage for the size.

If a quarter-million people sounds too big for you, check out the opportunities either with the cruise-line connected destinations or look into working at one of the remote fishing/hunting lodges that dot the state. Princess cruise lines for example operates some pretty fancy hotel operations in the Talkeetna area, around Coopers Landing in the Kenai, and other spots. The ski area in Girdwood had more than its fair share of good restaurants. And look through some back issues of Alaska Magazine to find out about some of the more upscale lodges that do some fancy cooking. Probably not full-time year-round work, but it might just suit you.

Hope your wife likes working with seafood.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:56 AM

34 posts, read 126,711 times
SE seems like it's out of the question

In population, I think Central Florida is comparable to Alaska as a whole, we house some 18 million people in this state, not counting the estimated 75 million that visit and the 350,000 that move here each year.

I'm talking with my Aunt about working on the ships as a greenhorn, she's been ice fishing for the past 30 years and makes a killing just filleting the fish.
Dangerous work (my style) and pay is great.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:31 AM

18,337 posts, read 26,376,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetto Funk View Post
SE seems like it's out of the question

In population, I think Central Florida is comparable to Alaska as a whole, we house some 18 million people in this state, not counting the estimated 75 million that visit and the 350,000 that move here each year.

I'm talking with my Aunt about working on the ships as a greenhorn, she's been ice fishing for the past 30 years and makes a killing just filleting the fish.
Dangerous work (my style) and pay is great.
Alaska doesn't have a million people. Under 700,000 still, in the entire state, and it's much larger in area than Florida...

Old 07-04-2008, 04:45 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,804,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Alaska doesn't have a million people. Under 700,000 still, in the entire state, and it's much larger in area than Florida...
I suppose one could think of Alaska as Florida on a much more vast scale with one helluva good Air Conditioning system. You would also need an Epic sized imagination

Old 07-04-2008, 05:26 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,056,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
the whole SouthEast Alaska panhandle. It's all about rain here; sideways rain, hard rain, continuous rain, just plain rain, intermittent rain, light rain, occasional rain, drizzly rain, just a spot of rain...yeah, it rains a lot here.

Unless it's snowing, in which case just wait a bit and it'll rain on the snow.
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!! And you're so, so right!!!

Old 07-04-2008, 06:44 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,204,581 times
[quote=Jetto Funk;3958409]SE seems like it's out of the question

You might want to read up on Alaska a bit more. It's basically 1/2 the size of the US and under 700,000 people. I don't see ANY comparison to a swamp such as Florida. But ok.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:11 AM

145 posts, read 568,119 times
Please read this statement:

"In population, I think Central Florida is comparable to Alaska as a whole"

All this eye-rolling and sarcasm upsets my Balance. Yes, this is roughly correct: Both Central Florida and the WHOLE OF ALASKA have under one million each. No matter if you think Florida sucks, or Florida is a swamp, or think Disney should be salted down like Carthage, the OP's original statement is not false. Jeeze Louise.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:20 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,204,581 times
Teachers love their red ink, don't they?

Old 12-07-2008, 02:26 PM

5 posts, read 15,253 times
hello,

i m going to Juneau in feb and i will need some infos from you guys can you help me?
i was thinking to go fron Juneau to Anchorage with a ferry but because it s the winter i cannot find something! stupid question but do you think its possible or not?
marie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska