Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 06:33 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susitna-flower View Post
But can ANY ONE tell me why we no longer get a discount for home heating fuel? Remember it isn't used on the highways....are the sulfer emmissions also to be blamed for the higher cost here?

One point is that you can get a bulk rate discount still when having it delivered....Just got 607 gallons today at $4.57 and felt less like I was being stuck.......Of course that is to generate electricity that would cost even the highest home user $300 for if they were hooked up to electric lines....so I guess that is MY choise in living out in the wilderness, and still wanting my freezer plugged in!
I don't know about where you are at, but in Seward there is still a discount. My folks just filled their 300-gal tank at $4.55/gal, but diesel at the pumps is around $5.25-something...sky high.

607 gals @ $4.57 .....Yowsers! Not too worried about it now that summer is here, but this coming winter will be scary....

Bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 06:36 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Not too worried about it now that summer is here, but this coming winter will be scary....

Bud
I think a lot of people in the lower 48 are feeling the same way.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:56 PM

109 posts, read 289,169 times
It isn't so much a discount, as not having Alaska road tax applied. Our road taxes are very low compared to a great many other states, btw, some of whom have taxes in the 30 to 40 cent range-even some counties can levy fuel taxes.

I have always paid less than pump price, even out here in the Valley. Not that I haven't choked on it too....and you get a break on gallonage at 200, 400, and 600 I believe. Its only a couple of cents, but it's something. I have heard that it is much cheaper at the bulk plant in Anchorage tho-the Valley gets ten or 12 cents added for the trucking alone.

$4.57. Enough to scare me.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:45 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Well I still intend to move up, the storm isn't going to stop me if I can help it (but good God, I'm going to need to budget at least twice as much as I thought I would just for gas to get there, and that's assuming we don't have $10 gas next year!). I think those who are able to be relatively self-sufficient will fare well, everyone else will be in a lot of trouble though, especially in winter. It's one thing when you have acres and acres of woods around you for heat, entirely another when you're in a city or town and rely on oil or gas for heat, or you're simply unable to use wood.

A lot of people in VT that I know have always joked about moving to the South when the winters get bad here. These days, a lot of them aren't joking at all, and I suspect the same will be true in AK, many will flee the state for warmer places...I know several people in VT who are moving South this year, they know they won't make it financially through another winter, oil was much lower this past winter (high but not as bad as now) and it destroyed many budgets. Obviously with such high prices now many won't make it.And it's not just the price of heating fuel, it's everything, from rent to food to clothing, and the economy is terrible here in terms of jobs so obviously it's a recipe for disaster. The government will be overun with people looking for government assistance this winter here, and things could get ugly.

I'm sure some people will be moving to Anchorage and nearby from more remote areas, but that won't be a good situation in the long run. They may save on fuel and transportation for supplies, but they'll be virtually entirely dependent on purchased items with no real backup like one can have in the bush, so as things get worse and worse...

Old 06-09-2008, 08:08 PM

A food shortage will have the city folks storming the countryside like locusts. It'll be bad up there, it'll be worse down here because there will be more of them.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:05 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Default Scarey....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
A food shortage will have the city folks storming the countryside like locusts. It'll be bad up there, it'll be worse down here because there will be more of them.
Yes it will be bad down there; worries me sick about family I have in the lower 48. I know one thing, I pray it doesn't come to that, but everyone knows to have plenty of guns, ammo, food, water, medicines, etc. welllll stocked. For those anti-gun nut States, don't know what those folks will do to protect themselves.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
For those anti-gun nut States, don't know what those folks will do to protect themselves.
They'll probably scream for non-existent government intervention. Then they'll try to survive any way they can. Most of them will probably be dead after the first winter. I've had a friend down here tell me about land for sale in the mountains with a group of like minded individuals. I should talk with him at greater length about the opportunity.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:00 PM

763 posts, read 2,260,026 times
Think cities: Think NYC with no running water and no electricity.

At least here in Alaska we're not so densely populated that we would decimate wildlife in order to eat, much less turn to eating each other.

Also in the cities, if you have some intelligent people who decide to grow food, how long do you think it would survive theft or vandalism? (Think South Africa with the blacks killing the white farmers, then destroying the crops.)

Old 06-09-2008, 10:44 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,232,830 times
Way to much doom & gloom thinking here. Nothing wrong with being prepared for things but some people go way to overboard. Thinking the worst and worrying doesn't help matters any.

It reminds me of the whole Y2K situation and how so many people thought the worst and worried themselves sick over nothing.

As Bob Marley sang "Say you just can't live that negative way, make way for the positive day".

Old 06-09-2008, 10:51 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgusano View Post
At least here in Alaska we're not so densely populated that we would decimate wildlife in order to eat, much less turn to eating each other.
Actually, if it came down to people shooting moose for food, we would very quickly decimate the population of moose near any inhabited area.

It isn't a bad idea to be somewhat prepared. A little bit of dry food on hand and maybe some extra wood for the wood stove is a good idea.

Most of survival is in your head. What do you really need. You need warmth...in Alaska and food. that's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska