U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 03:23 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,364,401 times

Advertisements

My husband is a permanent U.S. resident alien. I've dug around on many sites and can't find a straight answer. If he has his US green card, his US driver's license and his UK passport... should we be alright crossing through Canada on the drive from WA to AK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 03:30 PM

6,423 posts, read 11,076,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
My husband is a permanent U.S. resident alien. I've dug around on many sites and can't find a straight answer. If he has his US green card, his US driver's license and his UK passport... should we be alright crossing through Canada on the drive from WA to AK?

I would think you'd have no problems at all. My wife is from UK and in the same boat as your husband. She has gone in and out of Canada quite a few times. The US border can take it's time looking at his info, but no real issues.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:35 PM

2 posts, read 9,484 times
Red face Helpful Info

I have dreamed of making that drive for many years. Your experience with it being a dangerous trip gave me some valuable info. Maybe I should reconsider.
Thanks,
frugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebraskan View Post
I just wanted to warn anyone who is driving from the lower 48 through Canada to Alaska. We just took the trip and we were welcomed into Canada and continued up to Alaska. When we came back to cross into Canada and go home they told us my boyfriend was not allowed in Canada because of minor things in the past. After a long few days figuring out what to do we decided to fly back and have our RV shipped. So...be careful. If you have ANYTHING on your record DO NOT GO INTO CANADA! They will let you in but won't let you back home! I really don't understand how they can do this if they let you into their country once but they do! I would suggest flying or taking the ferry. And by the way the Yukon is not fun to drive through anyway. It is dangerous. We saw a guy die on our way up there. If you have a perfect record and don't mind dangerous conditions go for it. Otherwise don't drive it!

Old 06-12-2008, 02:11 AM

200 posts, read 732,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSo View Post
Tell that to the o.p. They said they saw someone die in Yukon.
I saw someone die in a hospital once.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:28 AM

21,358 posts, read 32,300,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugal View Post
I have dreamed of making that drive for many years. Your experience with it being a dangerous trip gave me some valuable info. Maybe I should reconsider.
Thanks,
frugal
One death should not alter your plans. This person was on his/her first drive up and they got turned around for a past conviction. This just proves the didn't take time in looking at the requirements on crossing the border. I would say just come on up. People die everyday and to say on his/her only drive up the highway was dangerous and to tell everyone that they shouldn't drive it, it is very stupid. The Highway is a fun drive and I've done it 13 times now with four of those drives alone. Just come on up!

Old 06-12-2008, 02:49 AM

21,358 posts, read 32,300,817 times
Yea, the Yukon is very dangerous(yea right). And it doesn't look fun, either.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:35 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,487,329 times
That's a bunch of crap. I'd be very angry too!

Old 06-12-2008, 06:13 AM

16,454 posts, read 21,465,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Starting next year, I believe, you'll need a U.S. passport to get back into the U.S.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:26 PM

11,836 posts, read 24,964,372 times
I wonder how the drive would be in a Smart...

Old 06-12-2008, 01:50 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,364,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Starting next year, I believe, you'll need a U.S. passport to get back into the U.S.
OOOOOO - isn't that "closed borders"? I don't think the UN or NAFTA would be too happy about that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska