U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 02:08 PM

8,936 posts, read 15,854,556 times

Advertisements

the state department webpage is stating 6/1/09 as the date - although people on the mexico border were telling us and people we know that it was 6/1/08...........

as for the OP situation - i had a friend have something similar happen - he was in alaska and there was something or other on their agenda that led them to cross through canada - on the way through the first time no problem, the way back was a big issue, but not big enough that a few hours of time and a few hundred dollars didn't resolve it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 03:50 PM

391 posts, read 864,383 times
Quote:
OOOOOO - isn't that "closed borders"? I don't think the UN or NAFTA would be too happy about that
If you are a U.S. Citizen, you already have to have a passport (or birth/naturalization certificate along with govt ID) as of this past January. Other valid forms of ID are covered here: Important Change in International Land and Sea Travel Document Procedures - CBP.gov (broken link)
or
U.S. Customs and Border Protection - Travel (http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/ready_set_go/land_travel/ - broken link)

As far being a British Citizen with a valid British Passport/U.S. Green Card/VISA, etc, then no, not an issue. Pretty much the same stipulations as flying between Britain and the USA. Questions, contact either a British Consulate or the Embassy.

And as far as the U.N. and NAFTA...they do not run our country. We abide by the treaties we have previously agreed to with the U.N. and the trade agreements we made with other North/Central American counties concerning NAFTA. Otherwise, they can stick it (imho only)

Last edited by icarian; 06-12-2008 at 04:01 PM..

Old 06-12-2008, 05:53 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,368,124 times
Yep, I (finally) found the CBP site with the travel requirements for Legal Permanent Residents... US Green Card is all that's required.

I know that the UN and NAFTA don't run our country... but considering that we all bug ***** trying to make all these treaties and whatnot, it seems a litle odd that we're trying to close our borders all the sudden. I don't really care one way or the other... as long and DH & I can get from WA to AK through Canada without getting trapped at one border or the other

Old 06-13-2008, 08:24 AM

15,596 posts, read 34,556,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Yea, the Yukon is very dangerous(yea right). And it doesn't look fun, either.

Dude. I can't believe you were standing in front of that motorhome in the Yukon. Don't you know that can be dangerous? It's coming right at you!

Old 06-13-2008, 08:35 AM

28,906 posts, read 45,211,944 times
I think we should invade them.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:59 AM

601 posts, read 1,709,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
One death should not alter your plans. This person was on his/her first drive up and they got turned around for a past conviction. This just proves the didn't take time in looking at the requirements on crossing the border. I would say just come on up. People die everyday and to say on his/her only drive up the highway was dangerous and to tell everyone that they shouldn't drive it, it is very stupid. The Highway is a fun drive and I've done it 13 times now with four of those drives alone. Just come on up!
The hywy is not as bad as you make it out to be. I did it 8 times before any of it was ever paved.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:31 AM

515 posts, read 929,337 times
Quote:
I really don't understand how they can do this if they let you into their country once but they do!
This is because border checks are (and should be) random. Checking and asking the same things every time, of every person, would make the wait at the border about a thousand miles long. More importantly, it would make it very easy for anyone planning to enter for the illicit purposes; they'd know exactly what they would be asked and could prepare accordingly.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:16 AM

13 posts, read 52,645 times
I'm still watching this thread. I also want to know how much it cost to ship the RV and also how they ship it. Also how was the man killed?.....MVA, moose, bear, hypothermia, high altitude, etc.?????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????

Old 06-13-2008, 12:02 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,368,124 times
My worst border experience was coming back down into WA with my ex. Since our AK to Canada crossing was completely uneventful and I was driving, the poor guy had no idea what hell we were in for at the WA border. When the custom's agent asked "Citizenship", he answered "Yes" (instead of U.S.)... which totally pissed her off so she carefully took her time reviewing his license, military ID, passport, etc. Then when she asked if we had anything to declare, he said "justs our cats"... oops wrong answer to the wrong question! That's when she made me get out of the truck and unlock the back (U-Haul) so she could look around. We had 3 guns back there that we'd removed the bolts/clips/cylinders from and mailed ahead... so officially, it was legal for us to be transporting the "weapon bodies", but she kept us there until all the guns could be verified to be registered to us (well, me actually). Do you know how friggin' hard it is to verify that an antique rifle with no serial number is registered to you? Meanwhile one of the cats escaped from the cab and took off into the bushes, which of course made me a bit upset... so then she decided to check the cab for drugs since I was behaving irrationally.

Oy vay... I'm going to make sure that I'm the one driving for all border crossings from now on!!

Old 06-13-2008, 12:04 PM

763 posts, read 2,004,655 times
I would suggest doing a Google on shipping an RV, as some of them have special deals, but most of them have special deals going back down because the ships are empty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska