U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 01:46 PM

13 posts, read 52,687 times

Advertisements

Guess I won't think too much more about it, since #1: I don't have a RV and #2: I already have airline tickets purchased to AK>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 03:38 AM

143 posts, read 499,256 times
I just drove up to Alaska from Arkansas all on my own - as I've made a point in sharing here... And it was the best drive I've ever made. Especially the Alcan! I HIGHLY recommend it to any and everyone. The scenery/wildlife will make you cry and the road has some character which gets lost when everything is smooth and perfect. I'm happy it's as rugged as it is.

The one thing that might get you killed is all those oversized 18 wheelers carrying stuff. They drive so freakin' fast! I've got two dings in my windshield to prove it. They need to act their size! hah!

And customs was a friendly conversation with a very good looking guy on my way in to Canada(And I had plants and a fish with me). Though if I would have had a smudge on my record I would have known that driving wouldn't have worked out. A silly rule but one that they hold firm to. Maybe the first guy at custums didn't run the passport? Who knows. I wouldn't have risked it probably.

But please take the Alcan any chance you get! It's amazing! I'm about to post some pictures of my trip up over on my thread - On my way to AK.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:10 AM

3 posts, read 8,527 times
I am driving through canada to alaska how long does it really take ? does anyone have any tips? what are the road conditions? are there step mountain passes? and and all info would be appreciated

Old 06-16-2008, 10:16 AM

3 posts, read 8,527 times
I am also moving to Wasilla, amagine that. what kind of smuge did you have?

Old 06-16-2008, 12:06 PM

763 posts, read 2,006,062 times
"How Long?" can only be answered by how much you want to do on the trip and your endurance in driving.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:21 PM

21,358 posts, read 32,333,300 times
It depends on where you are coming up from. Megensmom drove up from the east coast in five days to Fairbanks this past spring. I've driven it 13 times now both ways, I've averaged around 3-5 days total both alone and with family and friends.

A Guide to the Alaska Highway (Alcan) - ExploreNorth

Drive North To Alaska - Scenic Routes, Travel Information and More

The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner - Home

Old 06-16-2008, 01:37 PM

11,836 posts, read 24,987,892 times
Warpt what do you charge to guide someone along the Alcan?

Old 06-16-2008, 01:42 PM

Buy me a ticket to wherever you are and I'll tag along! Oh, pay for everything like gas/hotels/food, I'm there.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:02 PM

143 posts, read 499,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Buy me a ticket to wherever you are and I'll tag along! Oh, pay for everything like gas/hotels/food, I'm there.

Hey I was trying to do that for a friend of mine but they couldn't get off work long enough - I was willing to do gas/lodging and any of the food I had in my truck for free, but they had to pay their ticket back home.

As for driving it - I took me about 6 days (Little Rock, AR to Tok, AK) and people are telling me I must have driven hard, but I really don't feel like I did. Some days did feel longer than others but I still took a few detours - some even because I wanted to!

Old 06-16-2008, 09:05 PM

I'm taking my parents down to Montana at the end of August or in September, hasn't decided though. I drove them down last August and it was the hot season then, might wait a few weeks or go in September when it cools a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska