Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 07:43 PM

7,432 posts, read 5,695,166 times

Advertisements

Hi all - this is Crossfire's wife

Well, we did it. We just can't take the wait - so we talked to the realtor and will be listing our house to sell (fingers crossed) by July 4th. With a good outcome that may put us up there by Sept/Oct.

Hmmmmm, selling everything we own, loading up the truck like the Clampet's with dog in tow and moving to the west a bazillion miles - exciting and scary!

I would just love a shout out from all you that done this to keep my "focus". I know even our best laid plans will be up for glitches....I'd just love to hear others experiences as I clean, and pack, and clean, and think "have I lost my blooming mind!"
Dawn in PA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 08:35 PM

457 posts, read 1,011,902 times
Youll do fine Cross. Instead of restaurants anymore just have wholesome sandwiches and soups for the clan, that will absorb the higher fuel costs. No Brainer .

Alaskas worth the stretch== Focus, Focus, Focus....

Old 06-09-2008, 09:32 PM

763 posts, read 2,254,631 times
Just drive really fast so you won't be on the road as long to use as much gas.

(For those who don't know me, I'm being facetious with that statement.)

Old 06-09-2008, 09:57 PM

20,259 posts, read 36,964,984 times
Just bring lots of cash with you, and be here during the summer when there are more jobs available Make lots of money during the summer so you can have enough $ to eat, pay rent, and buy fuel during the winter. Ride a bicycle during the summer to save on fuel, and hang your clothes to dry to save on electricity, and...

Old 06-09-2008, 10:57 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,126,839 times
where are you moving in Alaska, Dawn? I'm excited for you. We love Juneau and feel it's the best kept secret in the world. The move/trip was long and the weather was crazy and cold on the drive here but we can look back on all that now with fond memories. I was well worth it. Alaska is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post

Well, we did it. We just can't take the wait - so we talked to the realtor and will be listing our house to sell (fingers crossed) by July 4th. With a good outcome that may put us up there by Sept/Oct.

Hmmmmm, selling everything we own, loading up the truck like the Clampet's with dog in tow and moving to the west a bazillion miles - exciting and scary!

I would just love a shout out from all you that done this to keep my "focus". I know even our best laid plans will be up for glitches....I'd just love to hear others experiences as I clean, and pack, and clean, and think "have I lost my blooming mind!"
Dawn in PA

Old 06-09-2008, 11:05 PM

Yeah, but that drive to Juneau is rough, I tell ya!

Old 06-09-2008, 11:15 PM

124 posts, read 339,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post

Dawn in PA
Same bug hit my folks back in 1959....start looking now for a job...I don't know what you or your husband do, but the medical field is wide open up here right now....

Do you have an area you think you would want to settle? It does depend on the job market, but you need to think of what kind of life you want. Near shopping, or the sea...In Rural with warmer weather, or Cold winters/hot summers like Fairbanks.

Check out the different papers for job opportunities. Pennisula Clarion, Frontiersman from the Mat-Su Valley, Fairbanks Daily News Miner are all a good place to start....My observation is that Fairbanks offers more open jobs. The State of Alaska Job Service is also online.....

Be wary of seasonal jobs that take up your time, and won't pay the bills all winter.....Dispite your predictions, try to get here in July if you can....September to October is late for getting settled. Can you leave any of your preperations like selling furnature or anything to a trusted friend?

If you are going to drive, check ALL the regulations with CANADA before leaving home, like what papers you have to have (passport) for all and health certificates less than 30 days old for animals ....AND no DUI convections for any one traveling with you!

If you have any problems with these things, flying can be less stress, even with the cost. Buying tickets ahead of time usually saves...and a little known secret. If you fly ALASKA AIRLINES, or one of their partners, you can BUY airline miles for 1/2 the cost of a full price ticket. You just have an AK Airline member #...call them and purchase the airline miles over the phone....easy as pie! Last year my daughter did this, it was going to cost $1,200 to fly RT and she got the air miles for $650. It may have gone up but......(carry on pets are now $100, and only one free checked bag.......Good Luck

Last edited by susitna-flower; 06-09-2008 at 11:26 PM..

Old 06-10-2008, 12:58 AM

If you've been busted for smoking pot in the last 15 years or so, you will have to go to counseling in Canada, no handguns (you can bring revolvers in certain circumstances, but I don't know what they are), no semi-automatic rifles.

Also, if you want a seasonal job (they do have their benefits), the time to start them is now. If you can get one, fly up now, work, then go back and get your stuff and family and drive up.

But, no matter what, if you wait until September, you will have a difficult time finding a job. The year-round jobs are taken by then, and a lot of the seasonal jobs are ending.

Usually, the more desirable places to live have a higher cost of living. On the road system. Off the road system, it's all expensive.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:52 AM

7,432 posts, read 5,695,166 times
Thanks for your replies everyone! (chanting - I can do this, I can do this)
My biggest stress isn't over "going", mine is getting our house ready!

We've been reading these boards for a while - and took all the advice to heart and made our choice a while back.... We are headed for Juneau I am in the medical field, so I've already got leads there.

We also will be driving to Bellingham and taking the ferry - versus the detour driving through Canada.

Keep the encouragement coming!
Dawn

Old 06-10-2008, 05:06 AM

6,424 posts, read 13,182,521 times
If you plan on taking the ferry, get your tickets now if you can. We got ours about 2 weeks ago and the earliest we could board was Sept. 12. Our route is different then yours, heading all the way up to Whittier, but I would still check things our with the ferry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska