Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 09:54 AM

202 posts, read 821,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
A friggin moose ate my lilly's! But my ferns and flowers are coming back. They are small and cold but hopefully we'll get a week of rain followed by 70 or 80 above and sunny! My braeburn apple trees even came back! I thought for sure they were dead but all 3 have leaves!
I planted red, purple, and white potatoes yesterday. I don't plan on seeing anything for a couple weeks.
Aren't the moose usually away from the neighborhood by now? I had one jump into my yard yesterday for the first time in 6 years. I wonder if their summer browse hasn't been as prolific?
How do you keep the slugs off your potato leaves later in the season?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 11:16 AM

109 posts, read 289,169 times
Slug bait-beer or salt

Seriously, shallow pans of beer, or carefully dribble salt around the perimeter of your garden. You don't want to put table salt down on the garden proper, that is pretty much poisoning the soils.........There are chemicals you can buy, but at least these are a bit more earth friendly.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:34 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times
Another multi-purpose method of slug & snail control are ducks! Seriously those guys go crazy for slugs... and leave you some nice tasty eggs too. If noise is an issue in your neighborhood, Muscovy ducks are virtually mute even if they are a little less cold-hardy than some of the mallard breeds. Ducks will also keep down mosquitos and other flying and crawling pests... plus they're so darned cute

How high a fence would you need to keep a moose out of your more delectable garden treats? I'm planning on 5' fences for my goats, but doubt that would really keep out a moose or determined deer/caribou. I'd really hate to "waste" power on electric wire... especially if they don't really deter moose and bears that much.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:33 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Corn is almost $1/ear down here.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:12 PM

Default moose fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Another multi-purpose method of slug & snail control are ducks! Seriously those guys go crazy for slugs... and leave you some nice tasty eggs too. If noise is an issue in your neighborhood, Muscovy ducks are virtually mute even if they are a little less cold-hardy than some of the mallard breeds. Ducks will also keep down mosquitos and other flying and crawling pests... plus they're so darned cute

How high a fence would you need to keep a moose out of your more delectable garden treats? I'm planning on 5' fences for my goats, but doubt that would really keep out a moose or determined deer/caribou. I'd really hate to "waste" power on electric wire... especially if they don't really deter moose and bears that much.
I live in the civilized area of Kenai where they don't seem to jump fences much. This one jumped the lowest part which is only about 4' high. A guy told me he saw a moose jump an 8' fence by the airport but that's pretty hard to believe.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:19 PM

Default might try it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuValley View Post
Slug bait-beer or salt

Seriously, shallow pans of beer, or carefully dribble salt around the perimeter of your garden. You don't want to put table salt down on the garden proper, that is pretty much poisoning the soils.........There are chemicals you can buy, but at least these are a bit more earth friendly.
I tried the beer thing but couldn't stop my uncontrollable crying while I was pouring it into the pan so that's out. I might try the salt.
I've been using Sluggo around my edibles as it's safe. Active ingredient is iron something or other. I also blast them with ammonia, which is high in nitrogen but will burn leaves so you have to be careful.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:24 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
I don't have slugs here. Yet anyway. I use an 8 foot mesh fence around my garden and the moose have not touched it. I have a large pond in my yard and the moose make regular stops to water in it. My lillies were next to the pond.
I am already tired of watering the garden. Been doing it by hand. May have to set up the sprinkler or dance for more rain.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:17 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I don't have slugs here. Yet anyway. I use an 8 foot mesh fence around my garden and the moose have not touched it. I have a large pond in my yard and the moose make regular stops to water in it. My lillies were next to the pond.
I am already tired of watering the garden. Been doing it by hand. May have to set up the sprinkler or dance for more rain.
Might want to try using a siphon drip irrigation from your pond depending on the slope. Pump that sucker a few times in the morning and you're done. But I'd gladly send some of my Seattle rain if could figure out how

Old 06-13-2008, 04:55 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Copper screening works well to deter slugs too.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:30 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,100,658 times
The previous owners were kind enough to plant a peony bush before they left - and it is nearly to my hips now. Never would have that in Wyoming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska