Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 06:23 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,954,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Check with the folks over on Cruise Critic. They have an Alaska page and lots of people post about that stuff.
Good advice. I've reserved a car & driver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 08:37 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,689,820 times
Great. I always see a few Amish people on the ferry in the summer that do the same thing. They hire a van and driver to drive them from Lancaster County, PA to Bellingham. They get on the ferry and then tour Alaska. All without driving a motor vehicle.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:16 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,954,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Great. I always see a few Amish people on the ferry in the summer that do the same thing. They hire a van and driver to drive them from Lancaster County, PA to Bellingham. They get on the ferry and then tour Alaska. All without driving a motor vehicle.
I'm getting an exploder at the airport & driving around the week I'm up there.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:46 AM

763 posts, read 2,260,770 times
Ooh! I want an exploder! But I drive a bus; they won't let me have one.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:03 AM

201 posts, read 823,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgusano View Post
Ooh! I want an exploder! But I drive a bus; they won't let me have one.
HA!! You know how people say "LOL" in a repetitive, overused, questionable fashion.... I REALLY just Laughed Out Loud.

To the OP, Whittier is a tiny town in the middle of nowhere. It's a good hour and half drive or so from there to Anchorage. I'd take the train. I've seen it speed by and its cool- the glass roof kind, and it goes into the mountain. I think it'd be worthwhile just for the scenery (though the scenery from a car isn't anything to scoff at either).

Old 06-16-2008, 12:24 AM

124 posts, read 340,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquariusmom View Post
HA!! You know how people say "LOL" in a repetitive, overused, questionable fashion.... I REALLY just Laughed Out Loud.

To the OP, Whittier is a tiny town in the middle of nowhere. It's a good hour and half drive or so from there to Anchorage. I'd take the train. I've seen it speed by and its cool- the glass roof kind, and it goes into the mountain. I think it'd be worthwhile just for the scenery (though the scenery from a car isn't anything to scoff at either).
The only reason it might take an hour and a half is because of the wait at the tunnel. If you don't hit it just right sometimes you have to wait. It is like no tunnel you have ever seen....One way, just inches wider than the train tracks!

I agree the train would be nice, it goes RIGHT to the Airport!

Old 06-16-2008, 12:27 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,127,072 times
I have yet to see the train at the airport. Does it go there often? All I ever see is the buses.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:09 AM

763 posts, read 2,260,770 times
I've never seen it there, either, and I'm not sure the train offers passenger service to Whittier any more. They may, but a guy I know in Anchorage said they stopped when they finished the tunnel.

But, the tunnel is one way for a while, the other way for a while, and the train wins right of way when it's there. It's pretty cool to drive through.

From what I understand, about 80% of the Whittiots all live in that one big apartment building. Don't know if that's true or not, though.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:58 AM

124 posts, read 340,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
I have yet to see the train at the airport. Does it go there often? All I ever see is the buses.
Don't know for sure, but I THINK the train to the airport only serves Princess. Here are a couple of links, with pictures....

The Alaska Railroad - Depot Locations

The Alaska Railroad - Anchorage Rental

It seems it runs May -Sept, but it might only go as I have said to Princess Lodges, which is why it is so hard to find out any info.

I have seen the Whittier to Anch run listed, but have NOT been able to find if it goes to the airport, or downtown.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:04 AM

14 posts, read 22,525 times
Default Whittier-LA

I Take it you are taking the Ferry to Bellingham?

I would drive straight down I-5 to LA, unless there are places you want to stop and visit and I could recommend plenty, depending on when you are going, how long you have, etc. I know the route from Seattle to LA quite well.

If you drive to LA, make sure you do not hit the San Fernando Valley between 4-7 PM or you will be stuck in stop and go traffic much of the time. Where do you want to go and when, what days of the week, etc. I just finished being stationed in that area for five years. I would not recommend a Taxi, etc, it will get VERY Expensive. I would take my own or rent one. If you belong to AAA, get MAps from them ahead of time of where you plan to go. Also check for Discount Coupons. There are Discount books at many rest stops or Restuarants, that come in handy also.
H-Way 101 is more scenic, but will take you much longer to drive it. But You can see Ocean Views all the way down. DO NOT Take H-Way 405 unless you have to. Going South is always a mess and North can be also. But If You are going to places like LA AFB, it is Necessary.

What kind of info are you looking for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska