Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 05:54 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,652,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce 01 View Post
Not to get picky here, but she said: "Hello, you are right about the drunks, mostly natives and they are harmless."

I read that as most of the drunks are natives. That does NOT mean that most natives are drunks. Huge difference.

It's like saying "all fish swim, therefore everything that swims is a fish," which of course is not true.
It's racist from here to there either way, and it is wrong to boot.

Anyone who says something like that is too dumb to bother having a conversation with, and too ignorant to bother talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 08:09 AM

109 posts, read 289,301 times
Well, people are free to express opinions, and I have to say that alcoholism is a plague upon Bush Alaska-and most people recognize and accept that fact Which are backed up by statistics, of course. It's just that the demographic is skewed out there.

As far as folks being "crazy", I think a better way to put it would be "individualistic". Or, we have more than the usual "characters" here. Independent people who found something that resonates for them here. Many move here to get away from government intrusion, to live the Bush type lifestyle, to "get away" from humanity, all sorts of reasons. One great thing about this state is that you can easily start fresh, and remake yourself into whatever you chose to be

Old 06-18-2008, 08:25 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,803,523 times
if you're not happy in your own skin, alaska is going to be a very bad experience for you, especially in the winter.
all newbies go thru the usual "oh golly gee whiz, I live in alaska, is't this amazing" for about 30 to 90 days, and then reality sets in.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:27 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,803,523 times
anyway, according to seattle, we're all nut-jobs up here...

Old 06-18-2008, 08:59 AM

124 posts, read 340,944 times
I certainly identify with the "character" scenerio, it all boils down to being able to accept others that are not the same, not agreeing with anything about them, but in the end, if ANY one else comes along and tries to tear them down, you fight tooth and nail for their right to be the character they are! You see it over and over again, and especially if something hits like fire! Everyone will come out to help, give, so generously it makes a person cry! I have seen homes totally rebuilt when a family loses everything, within a few weeks to a couple months everything replaced....

As for the alcohol, native vs white, and crazies....I think it IS widespread in all areas of Alaska across all race lines. The cause......so varried that you can't point to any one thing. BUT from my perspective, a white woman with an alcoholic husband, and at least three family members who could be determined to be crazy....I say the true tragidy is the impact on family, and the HIGH suicide rate....We have to lead the nation on that.

I don't think it will ever be solved by one race beating up the other, that goes back and forth, both sides are right in a way. The thing to focus on is how to make a difference and try not to let the families continue to suffer from the sickness of one individual.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:08 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times
Well, take what Seattle says with a grain of you know what. After all, not all towns/cities can be as narcisstic and self-entitled as Seattle.

That being said, I think Juneau male to female population is about split down the middle. And drinking is no more a problem in Alaska than it is in small-town America. And so what if there are a few drunks around? Beats the poop out of meth heads breaking into your house to steal your hard-earned goodies so they can finance their next high.

Visit and see what fits you. Only you can answer that.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:51 AM

124 posts, read 340,944 times
Believe me there is meth here as well.....

Old 06-18-2008, 10:24 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susitna-flower View Post
Believe me there is meth here as well.....
Yes I am sure there is, but we have more of it (this is not a bragging point).

Old 06-18-2008, 10:47 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,945,917 times
I think sometimes the "craziness" is just a bit of cabin fever. If you add that to someone who is already an individualistic nonconformist with an eccentric personlaity, that behavior might end up appearing pretty crazy to an outsider. From my experiences when I lived there, it's all pretty harmless... the crazies roaming the streets in Seattle freak me out way more than any of the people I met in AK.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:53 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,032,996 times
We already have more than our share of crazies up here.

Anyone who would think about living here is half-crazy already. Better stay put, the next step will put your over the edge. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska