Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 11:17 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHarrington View Post
What is happening in Alaska right now? Does the lust - nay, greed - for oil on the part of our government spell certain doom for the natural beauty up there or doesn't it? I'm confused. All the petitions I have signed said that unless I signed and taken action, it was doomed. So what's going on?
Precisely what and whose petitions have you been signing? Just curious...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 11:47 AM

189 posts, read 344,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Precisely what and whose petitions have you been signing? Just curious...
The petitions are to put the environment before oil drilling, basically, and they're from a lot of websites, like Greenpeace, NRDC and Care2.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:58 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,651,940 times
Quote:
The petitions are to put the environment before oil drilling, basically, and they're from a lot of websites, like Greenpeace, NRDC and Care2.
Perhaps I'm the best one to explain at least one part of this to you,
simply because I am very vocal about opposing any oil exploration in ANWR and several other environmentally sensitive locations (and I am also very pro-oil development in places that I don't beleive are all that sensitive.)

Greenpeace is a good example (I don't know what the other two even are, but I'll bet a month's wages they are worse than Greenpeace at a minimum). They are not really all that concerned with the environment, and in fact are little more than a huge fund raising organization. Most of their income goes to administration and more fund raising. In other words, it supports a lot of people who are employed by them, in particular the officers of the corporation.

I don't believe a word they say about anything until I can verify it with a credible source. Their analyses are flawed, simply because they are, just like an oil company, more interested in making money that anything else.

Signing their petitions probably causes little harm. Sending them a donation is utterly stupid.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Okay. I'd take what any of them say with a grain of salt. I'm not exactly a big fan of development either (I had several people mad at my opinions on roads), and I love nature, but I don't trust those groups, I've seen them stretch truths before (or flat out lie) and they tend to be way too radical and oppose things like hunting and such, FWIW. There's a lot of debate over how and if to go about developing AK's resources. Nothing will be happening very soon if at all, from the looks of things, when it comes to ANWR and the like.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Nothing will be happening very soon if at all, from the looks of things, when it comes to ANWR and the like.
But "the like" is gearing up for destruction as we speak. There are
aircraft on the runway here today. There are vessels offshore. It is in progress!

Old 06-20-2008, 01:59 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
You have to laugh at the antics of the anti-development leaf-lickers. If you disagree with them, well then your analysis is flawed, your sources are not credible, you are greedy, selfish, and a flat out liar. They manufacture fantastic scenarios how the world will abruptly come to an end if we even attempt to lower the gasoline prices at the pump by $0.01.

Sen. Schumer's is a perfect example of this mentally defective behavior. Just last week he said that if Saudi Arabia increased its oil production by a million barrels per day it would lower the gasoline prices by $0.50 per gallon. Yet last month when Sen. Schumer voted against opening ANWR he said that it was because increasing domestic oil production by a million barrels per day would have absolutely no effect on the price of gasoline.

The reason we are paying well over $4.00/gallon is because we listen to these eco-freaks. The more we listen, the more it will cost us. Which is ultimately the goal of these environmental wackos, to make any kind of future development too costly to even consider. At some point we, as a nation, need to simply ignore the ravings of these lunatics or we will eventually revert to living out of caves.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
You have to laugh at the antics of the anti-development leaf-lickers. If you disagree with them, well then your analysis is flawed, your sources are not credible, you are greedy, selfish, and a flat out liar. They manufacture fantastic scenarios how the world will abruptly come to an end if we even attempt to lower the gasoline prices at the pump by $0.01.

Sen. Schumer's is a perfect example of this mentally defective behavior. Just last week he said that if Saudi Arabia increased its oil production by a million barrels per day it would lower the gasoline prices by $0.50 per gallon. Yet last month when Sen. Schumer voted against opening ANWR he said that it was because increasing domestic oil production by a million barrels per day would have absolutely no effect on the price of gasoline.

The reason we are paying well over $4.00/gallon is because we listen to these eco-freaks. The more we listen, the more it will cost us. Which is ultimately the goal of these environmental wackos, to make any kind of future development too costly to even consider. At some point we, as a nation, need to simply ignore the ravings of these lunatics or we will eventually revert to living out of caves.
U.S. Petroleum Consumption [LEFT]20,687,000 barrels/day[/LEFT]

U.S. Proved Reserves of Crude Oil [SIZE=2]as of December 31, 2006[/SIZE][LEFT]20,972 million barrels[/LEFT]

EIA - Petroleum Basic Data

Oil reserves - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A million barrels a day is truly a drop in the bucket. We're in this situation not because of the environmentalists, but because we simply use too much oil. Plain and simple, we use too much of it and our entire economy depends on oil.

If we were to rely solely on domestic sources, we'd be out of oil quickly. ANWR has less than 2 years worth of oil. All our reserves total, amount to roughly 11 years of oil. The best thing to do with our domestic oil supplies is to keep it as an emergency reserve for the future. The cries of drilling for our own oil to solve our problems amount to grasping at straws. The Arab fields are, from what I've read, showing signs of peaking. The cold hard reality is the days of cheap oil are gone. Destroying our environment for a few years' worth of oil that might (and might not) lower the price less than a dollar isn't exactly sound, long term planning. We'll be in this same boat in not too many years, and probably like now have no suitable alternatives ready to replace oil. And there's bad data and research lacking credibility on all sides of this issue.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:29 PM

Default Ding-a-Ling commentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
This sort of commentary is the kind of thing that should immediately trigger a bell that goes "Ding Ding Ding-a-Ling".

Old 06-20-2008, 07:14 PM

124 posts, read 340,922 times
I STILL put human life before that of the Almighty whale, caribou, salmon or any other animal on earth!

I won't get into other political ramifications here, but when we have more suicides, deaths from poor health care and so on, due to the economic struggles folks are having than deaths in war, I say open off shore drilling, open ANWAR, and don't let the gas and oil be syphoned off by China and Russia. It will be drilled for, there are already reports of Russia making moves to drill in the seas north of Alaska, at least with the US in charge, WE WILL keep the oil companies in line!

Old 06-20-2008, 07:17 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
Hey Floyd, I just saw your daughter a few minutes ago. Was nice to see her. Ugh, she brought her boyfriend with her...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska