Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 04:04 PM

7 posts, read 138,947 times

Advertisements

First off, There is no other place on this planet like Alaska.
I've traveled a fair bit in my life, and I've never come across anything that matches the awesome natural beauty of Alaska.

That said, I have been places that have some of the "feel" of Alaska.

One place was the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, looking out onto Lake Superior. Kind of felt like somewhere on the Kenai.

How about you?
Please share your experiences in other "Alaska-like" places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 06:30 PM

27 posts, read 141,378 times
Burlington Vermont, great place small community. You will fall in love with it and not want to leave.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:40 PM

7 posts, read 138,947 times
Default Burlington Vermont?

I have spent a lot of time in Burlington, Vermont on business, and I would say it may have been like Alaska 50 years ago, but has lost most of it's charm. One of the only things that modern Burlington has in common with Alaska is cold snowy winters. Burlington is unfortunately one of the places where many hippies from the 60's settled down after they left the Woodstock concert. In my personal opinion, that's a bad thing.

Old 01-27-2007, 05:57 PM

571 posts, read 2,522,207 times
The Northwest Angle of Minnesota very much reminds me of rural Alaska. The Angle is that little "chimney" part of Minnesota that's surrounded by vast Lake of the Woods on 3 sides. (It's also the northernmost point in the lower 48). Even the trip there is like a little "mini" trip up the ALCAN...the only way to get there (by road, anyway) is to drive through Canada. Once you get "back" to Minnesota, you have to check into customs on a video phone!

The "town" consists of a post office, general store and the only one-room school house left in Minnesota. Many of its students have to boat or snowmobile to school. There are a handful of fishing resorts and a few hardy locals, but most of it, like Alaska, is just plain old unspoiled wilderness.

Old 01-27-2007, 08:26 PM

592 posts, read 2,801,629 times
Midnite has it right..the only difference is, of course, no mountains to gaze at, and a ton more libbys to listen to. NW isn't so bad, but the rest of the state is wandering away from the ideals of the "rurals" that live here.

Old 02-10-2007, 07:22 PM

29 posts, read 133,816 times
Well I have been to all of the lower 48 ~ the only 2 places I haven't been is Alaska ( which is where I'm planning to move to in the summer '07 ) and Hawaii...

But from all that I've heard about and pics I have seen on the Kenai / Sterling area it is just like living in MN... Except Alaska is warmer !!!!!

Delanyland is right about MN wandering ~ in my opinion wandered period never to return to the "rurals"....

I have also spent alot of time in the " UP " Upper Peninsula of Mich. I would agree that is also like Kenai and Sterling areas....

There are parts of Northern South Dakota that have high cliff areas and winding no man roads that can look and "feel" alot like Alaska in the summer time ...

All in all if you looking for an Alaskan look alike; most of the Northern states that border Canada, from Washington to Maine have fantastically beautiful areas to visit with lots of different wildlife...

But by all means don't rule out the Eastern Southern states, Virginia, Kentucky, Tenn, ect.... I could name them all but then that would defeat the propose.... *smile*

Old 02-27-2008, 02:59 AM

338 posts, read 1,364,006 times
I see this is an older post, but I just signed up today. I lived for awhile in AK (SE) and traveled Jun, Sit, Anch-Sew-F.B. via car two summers ago. Currently in the Midwest and have traveled fairly extensively in U.S. ... and planned a huge trip which I ended up not taking for NZ. Anyway... from all that, I'd say that ME - along the ATL coast and the U.P. of MI are similar to AK in their rocky coastlines, deep cold waters, emotionally sturdy ppl, rural townships, gorgeous views, and just the "feel" of AK from parts of AK I enjoyed most. I was told NZ was quite like AK if not more beautiful... that would be difficult to imagine, but everyone has his or her own opinion. And I believe there is truly no place like AK... it can put the soul on edge and at-ease all in the same breath.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:45 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,335,072 times
Minnesota is nothing like Alaska, neither is Vermont or Michigan. The closest thing the lower-48 has that comes close to Alaska, at least in appearance, is Glacier National Park in Montana. They've got the trees (although different types), wildlife, and mountains.

Even then the Rockies are tiny by comparison. There is certainly nothing east of Colorado that could come close to matching Alaska's appearance, and only very isolated pockets west of Colorado.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:02 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,903,237 times
I agree with Glitch, theres nothing else like it, not even the Rockies in the states. The places I've been to are either the desert or plains.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:48 PM

8 posts, read 41,142 times
Having spent several years living in various parts of Alaska, even more years in various other US states and a couple of years in other countries, I would have to agree that there is absolutely no place like Alaska. Even if you find a place that LOOKS like it, and some do..., nothing else quite feels like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska