U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 05:43 PM

2,399 posts, read 3,015,303 times

Advertisements

Great Pictures Floyd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 07:56 PM

888 posts, read 1,619,860 times
Very nice pictures indeed. Thanks for posting them!

Old 01-06-2009, 12:46 AM

3,538 posts, read 4,500,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambolutz View Post
I use to live in Barrow all thru my school years . My best friend was Andy Brower, whom should be about my age ..near 40 ..if anyone know where I can contact him, (I am Victors mom & would like to surprise him ) I would really appreciate it...He has often mentioned where Andy could be ...Andy , Rex Rexford & a few more of the kids use to come into Sam & Lee's restaurant, which I owned. I have met some very dear people there .Please send me an email if you know the where abouts of any of the boys. Thanks , Sam

What a pleasant surprise it is to see that message!

I checked with a friend who went to school here (ten years older than you), and neither of us know Andy or Victor. Rex passed away 3 years or so ago. I knew him fairly well, and he was a real pleasure to know. (Rex apparently had had an accident of some kind some time before 10 years ago, and was severely handicapped both mentally and physically as a result. I was told that before that he had been just as nice a person as he was at the end of his life.)

The interesting part is trying to place you! There were at least two people named "Sam" who owned Sam & Lee's, and the person that I talked to tonight couldn't place the last name "Lutz", so we are confused. :-)

The building you owned was burned down and then rebuilt by the current owners, Mr. & Mrs. Kim, about 25-27 years ago. You'll be happy to know that it is pretty much considered the best place to eat in Barrow.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Better watch out Floyd, it sounds like Satch is looking into slope jobs.
Well, you might have heard how that works? We keep the transients in the oil patch distinct from the residents. Nobody who works at Prudhoe or Kuparuk is a resident of the North Slope, and they cannot vote in our elections. (Unless of course they otherwise actually do live on the North Slope.)

Old 01-06-2009, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovluaq View Post
Warren "Ovluaq" Matumeak, Sr. is my GrandFather!!!! He is a Blessing in our family!!!! We Love you, Aapa Warren!!!! by the way: "Ovluaq" is both his and my "Inupiaq-Native" name. we come from Barrow, Alaska. ("Hunger knows NO LAW")-a quote by Elder Sam Taalak
Thank you for posting a message!

Warren is a genuine treasure. I am very fortunate to now and then have the opportunity to talk with him over breakfast or lunch at Sam&Lee's. I've also run into a little guy, about 5 years old or so, who pals around with his great grand father... I don't know his name, but he's lots of fun, and might just be your son????

I have seen two references to the Sam Taalak quote, one as shown in the picture and another in some documentation about land use planning or something like that. But I've never seen the original context, so I'm not sure what he was referring to when he said that. I would be really interested in the specifics, because it is very clear that he impressed a lot of people with those few words. The context must be significant!

BTW, I have lots of pictures of Warren. If you would like a CD with maybe 20 or 30 pictures, I would be very happy to give it to you. Here are a couple that have been posted in public,

The above image was taken at Sam & Lee's. Warren's comment, when he saw it, was something like, "Yep, that's me... all 80 years, with every wrinkle and every spot." (Actually, he later asked if I could take some pictures of him smiling! How cute! I had some fun with that, because what I did was take about 10 of them, and we had a good laugh one morning as I whipped out, one at a time, 10 pictures of Warren, each with a very mischevious looking grin on his face. He was rolling over laughing by the time he'd seen half of them.

The above image is at the Piuraagvik Recreation Center during an Eskimo Dance after a Nalukataq on June 22, 2007. (This is a picture that I just really enjoy looking at. It shows something about culture here...)

Old 01-06-2009, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Welcome ovluaq!

Floyd can you give us a bit more info on the whale that you & Brian had at Sam & Lee's?
Well, like virtually everything that Mr. Kim plops down in front of me with a smile and says, "Try this!", it tasted great!

Incidentally, tonight I had halibut steak a la Mr. Kim. It came with a finely chopped salad (he knows what I likes...), and
sauted mushrooms. The halibut was covered with that red pepper hot sauce that Koreans think Americans can't eat.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:02 PM

5 posts, read 8,532 times
Default Response to owner of Sam & Lee's Restaurant

I am thr original owner , Sam. My last name at that time was Lemaster . We built the restaurant from scratch ..The building was a shamble when we bought the property. I really miss Barrow...I am really sorry to hear about REX REXFORD........I will have to relay this message to Victor when he gets home from work, this evening . ...It brings tears to my eyes, to hear such news.
Andy Brower lived in Barrow, back then . This would have been in the mid 70's...The 3 were very close at that time ..If anyone knows of Andy's where abouts , please email me at lutz1940@verizon.net.........I know the building burned down , as I was carrying a contract on it at that time ..Also one of the natives, by the name of Lottie Ahkivak, use to work for me ..maybe she knows where Andy Brower is ....if asnyone knows her ...Thanks for the info . I do hope we find him . Bless whom ever reads this . God Bless, & stay safe . Love from Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
What a pleasant surprise it is to see that message!

I checked with a friend who went to school here (ten years older than you), and neither of us know Andy or Victor. Rex passed away 3 years or so ago. I knew him fairly well, and he was a real pleasure to know. (Rex apparently had had an accident of some kind some time before 10 years ago, and was severely handicapped both mentally and physically as a result. I was told that before that he had been just as nice a person as he was at the end of his life.)

The interesting part is trying to place you! There were at least two people named "Sam" who owned Sam & Lee's, and the person that I talked to tonight couldn't place the last name "Lutz", so we are confused. :-)

The building you owned was burned down and then rebuilt by the current owners, Mr. & Mrs. Kim, about 25-27 years ago. You'll be happy to know that it is pretty much considered the best place to eat in Barrow.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambolutz View Post
I am thr original owner , Sam. My last name at that time was Lemaster . We built the restaurant from scratch ..The building was a shamble when we bought the property.
Okay, we've got you pegged! :-) I know that I've heard the name "Lemaster" before!
Quote:
I really miss Barrow...I am really sorry to hear about REX REXFORD........I will have to relay this message to Victor when he gets home from work, this evening . ...It brings tears to my eyes, to hear such news.
It's a pretty sad story in all ways. Rex (as I mentioned was physically and mentally impaired) went down to Fairbanks, and disappeard. They found his body frozen in the Chena River in the spring. It isn't known if it was accidental, or if somebody mugged him and tossed him in. Fairbanks is a rough place for homeless Native people, particularly if they have obvious "problems".

Rex was universally liked here in Barrow. He was great fun to talk to. He also liked to help people, and could do work that required a strong back. So anyone who had a bunch of boxes or something like that to move would hire Rex to do it. He walked all over town of course, and had a weird gate as one leg didn't work the same as it should, so he was recognizable from a distance even when bundled up.

Quote:
Andy Brower lived in Barrow, back then . This would have been in the mid 70's...The 3 were very close at that time ..If anyone knows of Andy's where abouts , please email me at lutz1940@verizon.net.........I know the building burned down , as I was carrying a contract on it at that time ..Also one of the natives, by the name of Lottie Ahkivak, use to work for me ..maybe she knows where Andy Brower is ....if asnyone knows her ...Thanks for the info . I do hope we find him . Bless whom ever reads this . God Bless, & stay safe . Love from Sam
I don't know Lottie either. I'll ask my friends and see what they say. I looked in the phone book and didn't see anyone at all with that last name.

I'm also going to tell Mrs. Kim that I've talked with you. I can tell from the tone of your messages that the two of you would hit it off very well. She came here as a young woman from a rural part of Korea, couldn't speak English and knew nothing at all about America or Barrow. She was scared to death! A local guy whose name is Wesley, whose last name I don't know, had been in Korea with the US Army in the 60's, and had learned enough Korean to be able to teach her some basic English! Wesley is in his 60's now, and a classic "drunk", but even if he gives Mrs. Kim a hard time now and then, he's always welcome back!

Old 02-20-2009, 08:51 PM

Default Searching for Andy Brower........

There were many of the native kids that use to come into the restaurant after school with my son Vic..So instead of feeding my son only , sometimes I would have maybe 8 little people to feed, but loved everyone of them . There was also a little girl, called margie.She use to use copanhagen...she was maybe 7 years old then . Always had that in her back pocket of her jeans . Her & her brother was living with an OLD grandpa...He had to be in his 80's way back then...makes you wonder what ever happen to them .
Then I want to tell you about a very funny incident in my place .The coldest part of winter , one of the Itta's came in , under the influence & ordered a huge breatfast. After he ate he got up & headed for the door...I walked up behind him & grabbed the top of his parka to stop him , & he just put his arms behind him & walked right out of his coat ...& left . With the parka in my hand . I knew it wouldn't be long till he came back & paid for his meal. Sure enough ..less than 10 min. the bill was paid & he got his coat back..You gotta love 'em ....Bless them all. Thanks , Sam

Old 03-06-2009, 08:01 PM

Floyd, I have only 3 pages on this site , on follow ups... If there are anymore can you tell me how to find them , so I can see what the replies are on the updates ? Lotties last name was Ahkivgah.....I had to ask my son , as he use to go with her in Barrow...Thanks , Savanna (Sam & Lees)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska