U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 07:29 PM

15 posts, read 26,788 times

Advertisements

You guys are really knowledgeable and might be able to help me with a question. I bought a piece of land sight unseen through the OTC program offered by the State of Alaska. It may not have been a smart thing to do but it already done. The lot is located in the Trapper Creek Glen Subdivision, Lot 1 Blk 21.
Meridian: S Township: 027N Range: 006W Section: 36 Section Acres: 4.
Using a topo map would answer the question, is the land wet and not useable? I have not been able to figure out what site to use to find the piece of land.

Thanks Dixie Lee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 07:39 PM

21,028 posts, read 22,511,102 times
Nice. You will probably be lugging your cabin a mile or more from the road across wet bogs and only be able to get there in the winter.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:43 PM

Oh Well!! It couldn't be any wetter than Louisiana. My home is 28 feet above sea level and I get a break on my insurance. So now I have two wet boggy lots. lol

Old 06-28-2008, 07:54 PM

21,028 posts, read 22,511,102 times
It looks like there are roads already build there.

http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/mlw/lands...len_79_242.pdf

Old 06-28-2008, 07:57 PM

14,393 posts, read 13,516,876 times
Find and read the survey of the subdivision, get coordinates for it, and you could check it on google earth (but the pictures may be old, although it'll give a rough feel for the terrain and you can figure out elevation and such), and on regular topo maps too. Use the township/range/section to find it on a normal government topo map. The state and DNR website(s) can be hard to navigate (the state really needs a better website designer BTW) but I managed to find several maps of the area where I bought before I did so. FWIW, they (the DNR) generally guarantee that there is a buildable site on the lots they sell (I found that in the appraisal report on the subdivision where I bought land, the number was IIRC 1 acre for every 5 acres at least, but the appraisal report for yours may or may not be available for reading). Wetlands nearby doesn't mean yours is wet also. Wetlands are good for, well, trapping you know if by chance it is all wet in the area.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:02 AM

2,491 posts, read 3,938,486 times
I have been in that subdivision. Generally it is only accessable in the winter by snowmobile. You might be able to get in there with a GOOD 4-wheeler if you pick your way. There are quite a few cabins there, most accessed in the winter. There is some good high ground once you get there. You might be right next to Trapper Creek...good fishing if you can get there. Bears too.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:25 PM

124 posts, read 229,121 times
Default NO roads!

Dispite the platted roads, there are none....one of the good points of this area, there are lots of folks in your same boat...some good neighbors. Was there a cabin on it? The electric and roads are many years away.

Topo? the site map is so small it is hard to say about this specific lot.

Good Luck

Old 06-29-2008, 10:42 PM

34 posts, read 88,798 times
Hmm, I heard the gov sold land, never could find the site. Thanks.
Do they do this every year?
Say's I need to be a resident for a year in order to receive the veterans discount, hmm, better move up sooner

Old 06-30-2008, 09:17 AM

Default DNR Site

The State of Alaska

Use this site to find OTC land.

Dixie

Old 06-30-2008, 06:54 PM

17,862 posts, read 11,550,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichor View Post
You guys are really knowledgeable and might be able to help me with a question. I bought a piece of land sight unseen through the OTC program offered by the State of Alaska. It may not have been a smart thing to do but it already done. The lot is located in the Trapper Creek Glen Subdivision, Lot 1 Blk 21.
Meridian: S Township: 027N Range: 006W Section: 36 Section Acres: 4.
Using a topo map would answer the question, is the land wet and not useable? I have not been able to figure out what site to use to find the piece of land.

Thanks Dixie Lee
You might find this site useful: Trapper Creek Glen Homeowners Association

It includes information on the annual dues, subdivision maps, parking and subdivision access information, and more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska