Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 05:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by megensmom View Post
We live off the grid with 3 kids and 126 miles from Fairbanks. We don't really do without but we do things differently and we are careful about our usage. Such as TV isn't left on all day,lights are turned off if aren't using them,etc. We have a Honda generator an EU2000i and I reccommend this line to everyone. We get 10+hours run time from 1 gallon of gas and it is a clean running gen. so you can use it with a computer,etc.
I would be happy to share how we do it if you would like. Now I'm not a brain when it comes to Alt. energy but I did do some reading and I have been living a few months in the area where off-grid living is a way of life and have gotten some good tips.
Could you give me more info about your generator set-up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 06:21 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,435,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
No offense, but you've got to be kidding me.
LOL...come on Satch. Where is Hollywood located? Hmmmmm...no offense to the OP but anything any actor or actress has to say is immediately tuned out by me.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:35 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,435,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinet View Post
Artichomesteader,

You have a nice website. I couldnt register though. I will try again later.

I am on the same line of thought so I find your website interesting.

Well, where I became vegetarian it was a rare thing. This was 30 yrs ago. I think people become vegetarian for many reasons. The culture has changed a lot since that time. It is not longer a rare thing anymore.

I would die before eating something dead. I just cannot handle it.

I can eat cabbage, celery, broccoli,leeks, potato, beets, beans, rice, pasta, seaweeds, cereals, apples, pears, peaches, pruns, nuts, mushrooms, etc etc etc

You can store many of these vegetables for a long time particularly in Alaska. I would need to shop once a month.

Needless to say, I will have my own garden.
I mean no offense to you, however, have you considered living in the mountains of California? In all honesty not real sure you'd like being off the grid in AK.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:29 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,736,965 times
Many actors in Hollywood are vegetarians long time ago and you know Hollywood is a trend setter for lasting social changes.
Most of the actors are also "Scientologist" does that mean they are setting the lasting social change trend to that too??? duhhh you really believe this??? if so I got some land for you....

Old 03-06-2009, 10:50 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times
Although I don't live "Off the Grid" at the house, my cabin is way off the grid and is set up like your house.

Putting in a sand point well this summer, will use a "pitcher pump" that will bring water up by pumping the handle. The water level is about twenty five feet down.

Outhouse is used for the bathroom, really neat verses leaning up against a tree... Blue foam at -40 for the seat is really neat... instant warmth...

Cabin is wired for 110 VAC, I have a battery bank that is charged with solar panels, if in the event that I use more than is being supplied from solar, I use a gas generator to give additional charging, but rarely use it and it saves hauling fuel and the additional costs of bringing it in.

Heat is by wood stove, although I have been thinking of putting in a 12 VDC Toyo cabin heater that runs off #1 heating oil. It uses very little fuel and the wood stove can be used primarily and when the wood gets low, the heater will kick on in the early morning so I can sleep in.

With a booster/repeater, I can use my cell phone in the cabin, even though it is about fifty miles to the tower. In other places a satellite phone would be required.

To live there year round, it would be pretty easy. I have to fly in during the summer and haul the heavy stuff during the winter after the rivers have frozen over. The ground is good for planting, I cleared off an area for the runway, but there is plenty of room for a garden if needed. If hunting for food was an issue, there is animals of all types in the area, since the property is just North of Denali National Park, it is pretty much the way it was hundreds of years ago.

I have a lot of friends that live farther out off the grid, and they have no real problems doing so, other than sometimes you want a candy bar and it is not going to happen without an adventure in travel.... which sometimes can consume those that have never done been without before, to want and can't have... It is something you have to live in the wild to really appreciate.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:35 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,105,653 times
I am still willing to cabin sit, Mark

Old 03-07-2009, 01:13 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandLady View Post
I am still willing to cabin sit, Mark

LOL, me too... Hate this, have to work now and then stuff to pay for the toys.......

We just got about two feet of snow, which would have been great to break trail to the cabin in, but last night the winds picked up to 40 knots or so and drifts are everywhere, which means out in the flats it will be a real pain with all the snow drifts.

Took me six hours of plowing with the fourwheeler to get the driveway cleared, normally it takes only about two hours. Went out to clean the snow off the plane, but the wind blew it off, and the road to the airport was drifted closed, had to check the plane out with binoculars.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:15 AM

4,137 posts, read 9,105,653 times
No...no machine as of yet. That will probably wait until Autumn or so. Husband just acquired a boat (doing things a bit backwards).

Nearly 3 feet on the grounds now...what fun is this, I say?

Old 03-20-2012, 12:43 AM

339 posts, read 588,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
The easiest way to live off the grid is to forgo power and plumbing.

Heat with wood. Light with kerosene. Use an outhouse.

If you are not willing to do that, you can still live off the grid but then it costs a lot of money and time.
Don't like outhouses much so I looking at composting toilets.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:59 AM

339 posts, read 588,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
I mean no offense to you, however, have you considered living in the mountains of California? In all honesty not real sure you'd like being off the grid in AK.
I currently live in the NCa mntns and we are BIG on hunting and fishing. Nothing against vegetarians, my son was one for 5 years, but I will say they are not well tolerated here. Our largest income here is from the "flat-land" hunters and fishermen that flock up here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska