U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 07-03-2008, 05:48 PM
 
Location: Alaska
2,268 posts, read 1,467,117 times
Reputation: 2039

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I know precisely what it means, which is why I used the terms. Perhaps your confusion arises from your lack of understanding.
Really? That's interesting... So from that and your position I expect your fully conversant with socialist economics which I suspect is what you really mean. So you're conversant with Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Wilhelm von Humboldt, and Immanuel Kant (all of whom had a profound impact on the Founding fathers)? Or just Marx?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I said that lower-48ers have no say in how Alaskans manage Alaska
So you think that the Lower 48 should not prevent Alaska as a State declaring war on say Canada, it's a logical extension of that argument. I don't think that's what you mean, but it is your argument taken to its ridiculous conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Alaska subsidizes the federal projects in other states, but suddenly it becomes a bad thing for Alaska to be treated the same as any other state?
Two points on this one, firstly if Alaska is subsidizing the Lower 48th where's the data? Total tax burden and total Federal spending (except Defense) spent in Alaska. If the Tax Burden of Alaska is greater than the amount spent, then you're subsidizing, otherwise you're being subsidized.
So from 2005 AK Tax received 4,830M AK Federal Funding 9,230M so you received $5.5B from the US treasury in fact 20 out of the last 24 years (1981 to 2005) Federal Funding has been greater than Federal Receipts. See The Tax Foundation - Federal Taxes Paid vs. Federal Spending Received by State, 1981-2005 for the data. It also brings up my other point to0, 7 out of those 24 years Alaska was not #1 in funding per capita so lets turn that around shall we 17 out of 24 years Alaska was #1 in funding per capita; and even then the lowest its been on that was fourth. Jeez I now know where my tax dollars are being spent and I most wholeheartedly support Alaska Being treated as any other state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Now if you want to cut ALL federal funding to all
50 states, I would support such a move.
Couldn't agree more, unfortunately looking at the figures from my last comment, would you reconsider, knowing all of the data now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Thankfully, Alaska has excellent senior representation in Congress with Rep. Don Young and Sen. Stevens. They make certain that Alaska receives equal treatment and will ensure the federal dollars continues to flow into Alaska just like the representatives of every other state is doing for their state.
You got me there... You have the figures to prove it too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-03-2008, 05:50 PM
 
Location: Interior AK
4,728 posts, read 5,359,652 times
Reputation: 3210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
You personally insulted every Alaskan, several times then deliberately lie pretending you didn't mean any disrespect, which is precisely what you intended when you began this thread. Rep. Young has done very well for the state of Alaska, and will continue to do so. Just because you have your facts wrong and know nothing about Alaska or the subject matter you brought up doesn't make Rep. Young irresponsible. Rather it makes you grossly uninformed, like the vast majority of lower-48ers.
Glitch... I've just read through this entire thread, again, and I don't think the OP was being blatantly offensive to anyone until you got defensive and starting personally attacking him. I don't think anyone has the right to tell anyone else how they feel, what they think or what they meant... unless you're a mind-reader. The fact that you took offense (and I understand that this is a very touchy topic for many people), is not the OP's explicit fault.

His intentions could very well have been to stir up trouble, or they could have been to honestly discuss the situation with people more directly involved so he could be better informed. We don't know, because we're not mind-readers (or at least I'm not). But the fact remains that it helps no one and solves nothing to attack anyone just for voicing their opinions... all it does is instigate more verbal violence and rigid thinking. Mud slinging and personal attacks begets mud slinging and personal attacks.

People tend to listen to and absorb what you have to say a lot better if you talk to them with an open mind rather than yell at them and blow them off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2008, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Tha' Holler
329 posts, read 366,885 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Glitch... I've just read through this entire thread, again, and I don't think the OP was being blatantly offensive to anyone until you got defensive and starting personally attacking him. I don't think anyone has the right to tell anyone else how they feel, what they think or what they meant... unless you're a mind-reader. The fact that you took offense (and I understand that this is a very touchy topic for many people), is not the OP's explicit fault.

His intentions could very well have been to stir up trouble, or they could have been to honestly discuss the situation with people more directly involved so he could be better informed. We don't know, because we're not mind-readers (or at least I'm not). But the fact remains that it helps no one and solves nothing to attack anyone just for voicing their opinions... all it does is instigate more verbal violence and rigid thinking. Mud slinging and personal attacks begets mud slinging and personal attacks.

People tend to listen to and absorb what you have to say a lot better if you talk to them with an open mind rather than yell at them and blow them off.
Thank you for the even handed defense. Indeed, I did NOT come here to start trouble. I had read somewhere that as many as 70% of Alaskans had an unfavorable opinion of Representative Young. My contention with him comes (a) because of outrageous pork barrel and (b) scandal after scandal he finds himself imbroiled in. As a Republican, I want no trace of this man in my party. He sullies the term conservative. Indeed, I didn't get defensive, (and never should have) until Glitch and Warptman sayed I didn't matter because I was some arrogant lower-48er. It was an honest surprise to find some who feel the fed dollars are "theirs", like Young does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2008, 06:54 PM
 
Location: Alaska
1,437 posts, read 3,194,214 times
Reputation: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyorr9 View Post
It was an honest surprise to find some who feel the fed dollars are "theirs", like Young does.
you were actualy doing ok till you said that. you blew it kiddo.
Young is not the only politician in D.C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2008, 06:57 PM
 
Location: Alaska
1,437 posts, read 3,194,214 times
Reputation: 882
"Bridge-to-Nowhere Hack gets tax AWARD "

just to let you know, I find your thread title offensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2008, 07:06 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
17,862 posts, read 11,777,534 times
Reputation: 6296
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Glitch... I've just read through this entire thread, again, and I don't think the OP was being blatantly offensive to anyone until you got defensive and starting personally attacking him.
Then you didn't read the original post that began this thread, because he begins with an insult to every Alaskan who supports Don Young. Even the title of the thread is an insult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
I don't think anyone has the right to tell anyone else how they feel, what they think or what they meant... unless you're a mind-reader.
Then you would have a problem with our conspiracy laws. Most people are able to judge the intentions of others by their actions. If they began a conversation by calling people names, it is reasonable to conclude that it was their intention to insult and disrespect those people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
The fact that you took offense (and I understand that this is a very touchy topic for many people), is not the OP's explicit fault.
I see, so when others call people names, it isn't their fault, it is somehow MY fault. This has to be a joke, you can't possibly be serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
People tend to listen to and absorb what you have to say a lot better if you talk to them with an open mind rather than yell at them and blow them off.
I haven't yelled at anyone, and I blew him off because he obviously does not know what he is talking about and regurgitates bogus information as if it were factual. You are criticizing the wrong person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2008, 07:09 PM
 
Location: Tha' Holler
329 posts, read 366,885 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
you were actualy doing ok till you said that. you blew it kiddo.
Young is not the only politician in D.C.
Indeed, he's not the only show in town. However, along with Byrd and Murtha, he shows no shame. I mean, if you're trying to steal my dollars in the night, at least give me a pat on the back or something. I've repeatedly said through this thread that I wanted thoughts about Young specifically from Alaskans. Doesn't mean I came here to start a fight with Alaskans because Don Young is the only hack in congress. But he's very vocal about his hackery. As a nation we're going broke because we spend and borrow on numerous things that don't simply need to be purchased today, and some not ever. Thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2008, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Tha' Holler
329 posts, read 366,885 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
"Bridge-to-Nowhere Hack gets tax AWARD "

just to let you know, I find your thread title offensive.
I'm sorry. I wanted to make sure this would get responses so I made it provocative. Wasn't meant to offend, but I did expect some ruffled feathers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2008, 07:16 PM
 
Location: Tha' Holler
329 posts, read 366,885 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Then you didn't read the original post that began this thread, because he begins with an insult to every Alaskan who supports Don Young. Even the title of the thread is an insult.



Then you would have a problem with our conspiracy laws. Most people are able to judge the intentions of others by their actions. If they began a conversation by calling people names, it is reasonable to conclude that it was their intention to insult and disrespect those people.



I see, so when others call people names, it isn't their fault, it is somehow MY fault. This has to be a joke, you can't possibly be serious.



I haven't yelled at anyone, and I blew him off because he obviously does not know what he is talking about and regurgitates bogus information as if it were factual. You are criticizing the wrong person.
My information is not bogus. Perhaps you feel entitled to federal funds for whatever reason. Perhaps you feel like my calling out Don Young is grounds for a duel. You blew me off because you didn't like what I said, not because I was wrong. Don Young HURTS the Republican party and, along with every other neoconservative, makes it harder to win national elections with the crappy publicity he brings. I titled the post the way I did because I wanted people to actually click the link. What did you want me to say, "Good Natured Civic Leader Awarded for his Fine Service to Alaska, All Americans Should Be Proud"? I wanted you to come inside and discuss this with me in a civilized manner. I mean, I know our education is sorely lacking in the lower-48, especially here in tha' hilllls. But I try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2008, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Bethel, Alaska
21,039 posts, read 22,791,244 times
Reputation: 12304
The only people hurting the republican party are all the current republicans. Bush Jr, Cheney, and Mccain aren't helping either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top