Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 09:55 PM

329 posts, read 583,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Don't see that I have been defending Young; just clearing up your misconceptions about things like rivers that freeze over.
Indeed. If my misconceptions are your only sticking point, then I politely defer.

Quote:
Your lack of knowledge about Alaska is indeed a variable here. Makes no difference in my life whether the bridges are ever built, but the idea wasn't quite the clutsterf*ck that many in the -48 seem to think it was.
An opinion you're certainly entitled to. Though, again, no one, including yourself has actually been able to make a defense of either bridge besides the vaunted river ice under the proposed "Don Young Way". Until another poster, Glitch I believe, brought it up, I was unaware of the proposed Anchorage bridge. Though my initial number was off (223 million compared to the original 400 which I quoted) I was always talking about Gravina. No one has defended that yet, other than to say "But the tourists need it." Yeah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 10:27 PM

26,476 posts, read 36,301,263 times
Quote:
An opinion you're certainly entitled to. Though, again, no one, including yourself has actually been able to make a defense of either bridge besides the vaunted river ice under the proposed "Don Young Way". Until another poster, Glitch I believe, brought it up, I was unaware of the proposed Anchorage bridge. Though my initial number was off (223 million compared to the original 400 which I quoted) I was always talking about Gravina. No one has defended that yet, other than to say "But the tourists need it." Yeah.
If the tourists "need it", then the tourists can pay for it. Since the majority of them are from the continental United States...federal tax dollars wouldn't be a misuse of funds...it isn't like federal tax money would be going to sustain tobacco crops, for instance.

"Actually unable to make a defense of"....with that phrase you're implying a lack of something that doesn't exist, at least on my part. Why on earth would I "make a defense" of the proposed Gravina bridge? Some of us merely pointed out to you that there was a few more variables at play besides the 50 people living on Gravina Island, such as a major airport. No one I know who lives on Gravina wants a bridge--they're living there precisely because they like their privacy.

Personally--to me, a bridge to Gravina would be just more lower 48 bs. But I also think it'll happen in time.

And the defense of what you're calling the "Don Young Way" was simply a realism that knocked your suggestion about a ferry out of the water.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-07-2008 at 11:54 PM..

Old 07-08-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
If the tourists "need it", then the tourists can pay for it. Since the majority of them are from the continental United States...federal tax dollars wouldn't be a misuse of funds...it isn't like federal tax money would be going to sustain tobacco crops, for instance.
Agreed. But...I don't see anyone from the lower-48 calling for this bridge anymore. And you're right, money for tobacco farmers is absurd, especially back in the day. They're doing ok.

Quote:
"Actually unable to make a defense of"....with that phrase you're implying a lack of something that doesn't exist, at least on my part. Why on earth would I "make a defense" of the proposed Gravina bridge? Some of us merely pointed out to you that there was a few more variables at play besides the 50 people living on Gravina Island, such as a major airport. No one I know who lives on Gravina wants a bridge--they're living there precisely because they like their privacy.
When I made my original attack of Gravina, I was well aware of the Int. airport. It makes no difference as the ferry is cost effective.

Quote:
And the defense of what you're calling the "Don Young Way" was simply a realism that knocked your suggestion about a ferry out of the water.
No, I didn't call it Don Young Way, HE did. And, if there's no ferry, and no bridge, I guess that side will stay undeveloped.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:40 AM

Also, with the Knik arm bridge, Don Porklioni's daughter purchased land which would allow her to profit once the bridge was built. Sounds like a great idea to me.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:43 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,641,516 times
Don't feed the troll people. Don't feed the troll...

Old 07-08-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Don't feed the troll people. Don't feed the troll...
In case you're wondering, I enjoy watermelon, venison and long walks on the beach. I will continue to keep you guys abreast of the trials and tribulations of Don Porklioni, and hopefully his retirement.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:34 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,903,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyorr9 View Post
In case you're wondering, I enjoy watermelon, venison and long walks on the beach. I will continue to keep you guys abreast of the trials and tribulations of Don Porklioni, and hopefully his retirement.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:50 PM

Investigations hang over key Alaska political figures: Alaska News | adn.com
Quote:
Ben Stevens has refused to publicly account for the more than $250,000 in "consulting" fees Veco paid him while he was a state senator. On the witness in the trial of another legislator, former Veco chairman Bill Allen described the money as mainly related to Stevens' work in the Legislature. Allen has pleaded guilty to bribing legislators.
WOOPS! Where did that receipt get too...

Old 07-12-2008, 07:56 AM

Drop Don (Young)

Haha, what a neat website. I like the way they neatly detail everything with the web. Very cool.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:02 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,598,155 times
In the summer of 2000 I was working for Alaska Airlines in Ketchikan. While we were waiting to finish loading the plane one of the airport cops came running by saying something about a "man-down" at the security gate. I ran up stairs with him and we saw one of the older ticket agents trying to do CPR on a guy that was one the floor in the middle of metal detector.

The cop and I took over CPR. It took over 30 minutes to get an ambulance from Ketchikan over to the airport. Less than a mile away. Why? Both airport ferry's were docked and in the process of loading vehicles and passangers. The ferry on the town side had to unload some vehicles in order to get the ambulance on.

Even though we all tried the gentleman didn't make it. I wonder what the outcome would have been if they could have got him help sooner? I wonder how people would feel if that was there relative, parent or child?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska