U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-11-2008, 05:09 PM

11,765 posts, read 17,956,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
I won't argue that we need to find a way off of the hydrocarbon teat but one of the cleanest and safest methods is never mentioned by many of those espousing alternative sources. NUCLEAR POWER.
Nuclear power is hardly clean Satch. There still isn't anywhere to put the spent fuel rods other than in ponds outside the reactors. But nuclear may very well be a good transition source of energy.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 05:54 PM

14,345 posts, read 13,258,563 times
Quote:
Once again, more nonsense from you, imagine that. You have absolutely no clue just how FEW people live in that entire coastal plain area yet you spew that crap. And did it occur to you to inquire as to their opinion of possible drilling?

JuneauEmpire.com: ANWR: Oil and gas: Alaska's industry (http://www.juneauempire.com/anwr/oilandgas.shtml - broken link)

Oops, there goes your argument. Sorry 'bout that.
Hmm, I could of sworn the herd migrates and there's more than one area where people rely on them. Oh yeah, I was right, Arctic Village being an example: Arctic Refuge: Caribou

And as for Kaktovik, I found this through a quick search:

"The essence of the Kaktovik position is that we would support oil exploration and development of the coastal plain provided we are given the authority and the resources to ensure that it is done properly and safely. Without the necessary provisions to ensure this protection, we would not."

http://www.kaktovik.com/perspectives1.html

Quote:
And please don't deign to tell me where to live. I have almost 5 acres that aren't anywhere near an "urban" area so please quit talking out of your posterior, as you are so often wont to do. You simply don't comprehend, and won't until you get here, that my point of view is most assuredly in the majority up here. Prepare yourself for that fact.
And the Wasilla area is nothing like the area in question and you have a much different lifestyle, from all I can gather from your previous posts. Much closer to the lower 48 than Arctic Alaska.

Quote:
Hmm, priorities...

1a. Human beings
1b. Nation
156. Inconvenienced caribou
And you know very well ANWR would at best be an insignificant oil source and by the estimates of those closely involved in studying it, it will lower the price of a barrel of oil maybe 75 cents.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:55 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,930,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Nuclear power is hardly clean Satch. There still isn't anywhere to put the spent fuel rods other than in ponds outside the reactors. But nuclear may very well be a good transition source of energy.
It's extremely clean when looked at from an overall perspective. And it's very efficient. However, the not-in-my-backyard mentality and suits from environmentalists hinder the construction of waste storage facilities.

Also, the technology is available for transmutation of spent fuel in special reactors and this is being actively pursued.
Quote:
And you know very well ANWR would at best be an insignificant oil source and by the estimates of those closely involved in studying it, it will lower the price of a barrel of oil maybe 75 cents.
Drilling in ANWR is merely one facet of an overall strategy of making use of our own plentiful natural resources. I am under no illusion regarding any impact that ANWR alone would have on the current situation. However, increasing domestic supply by exploring all avenues will have a significant impact and strengthen national security in the process.

Quote:
And the Wasilla area is nothing like the area in question and you have a much different lifestyle, from all I can gather from your previous posts. Much closer to the lower 48 than Arctic Alaska.
I haven't the slightest shred of desire to live in northern Alaska. The only people up there are, for the most part, natives and oil company employees. There is plenty of good hunting and fishing right here in the Valley.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:56 PM

109 posts, read 177,128 times
Satch, might I reassure you that several things are in the works, including quite a number of nuclear plants. The permitting and review process for these takes decades and we (thankfully!) have made some really great strides in that area.

Also, take a look into nuclear batteries....they will be along sooner than you think. Along with the solar condenser paint for solar cells, etc etc. All of these have a vital role to play in our future-as well as drilling.

If its going to take ten years to get it on the market, how much more valuable will it be then? All it takes is ONE missile from Iran, and it will be Katie-bar-the-door up here as a matter of national security. The military must needs have fuel, period.

Let's just hope we don't have an EMP capable payload lobbed our way (L48) anytime soon....

Old 07-11-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuValley View Post

Let's just hope we don't have an EMP capable payload lobbed our way (L48) anytime soon....
That's one of my greatest fears. One or two megaton-range bursts in the upper atmosphere would almost destroy the economy.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
It's extremely clean when looked at from an overall perspective. And it's very efficient. However, the not-in-my-backyard mentality and suits from environmentalists hinder the construction of waste storage facilities.
Okay, interesting comment. Would you be okay with it being built in your backyard?

If the waste problem is solved nuclear energy is worth looking into, at least to help until better things can be used. But until then, I'm not so sure. And most American reactors in use right now are backwards/outdated.

Quote:
Drilling in ANWR is merely one facet of an overall strategy of making use of our own plentiful natural resources. I am under no illusion regarding any impact that ANWR alone would have on the current situation, however, increasing domestic supply by exploring all avenues will have a significant impact and strengthen national security in the process.
ANWR is insignificant no matter what. It's simply too little to be helpful. We don't have enough crude oil, plain and simple, to make much difference anymore. If the oil sands/etc. found elsewhere in the U.S. became more practical it might be different but as of right now, developing those has too many problems. Using domestic supplies to solve the problem is a pipe dream at the moment. Better to rein in the speculators, inflation and to put more serious effort into getting off oil.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
I haven't the slightest shred of desire to live in northern Alaska. The only people up there are, for the most part, natives and oil company employees. There is plenty of good hunting and fishing right here in the Valley.
But you have no problem trashing it for your self-gain.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Okay, interesting comment. Would you be okay with it being built in your backyard?

If the waste problem is solved nuclear energy is worth looking into, at least to help until better things can be used. But until then, I'm not so sure. And most American reactors in use right now are backwards/outdated.
Well, any new reactors would be late-3rd generation types which are very safe and efficient.

Advanced Nuclear Power Reactors: WNA

We need to bring many of these online to help smooth any transition to non-hydrocarbon based fuel sources. This means streamlining the bureaucratical process and making sure that frivolous lawsuits from radical environmentalists are promptly rejected.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
But you have no problem trashing it for your self-gain.
Trashing it? You sound like a spokesperson for some nutty group like the Environmental Defense Fund. You are overstating environmental impacts greatly and you know it.

Plus, you conveniently ignore the incredible boost to the economy and job creation that would occur by drilling in ANWR. That would be a massive help to the few thousand people up there that you purport to be so concerned about.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Trashing it? You sound like a spokesperson for some nutty group like the Environmental Defense Fund. You are overstating environmental impacts greatly and you know it.
No, I'm not overstating it. Science backs me up. It doesn't back up the claims that it can be developed without major impact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska