Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2008, 12:03 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,648,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Who knows? We don't even know why the price of oil dropped $9.00 today. Some believe that increased oil supply with drop fuel prices, while others don't. Place me in the group who believes in the former. I believe that we should not stand still while all those around us (the US) drill for oil to sell. In fact, more drilling it's good for the AK's economy than not. If we can drill in ANWR with todays technologies and done responsibly, why not?
Ray, you have to listen, but you also have to think about these things. Don't just listen for easy answers... think about whether they are right!

Yes, increasing the oil supply would lower the price. Lets see... a 70 cents per barrel decrease, from $120.0o to $119.30 per barrel is going to affect you in what way???? (Answer: none.)

Since we know positively that we cannot drill in ANWR without a very negative impact (since that has never been done anywhere on the North Slope yet), it makes no sense to say we have the technology to be responsible. All of the evidence says we do not.

But, yes drilling is good for Alaska's economy. I see no problem with the fact that 95% of the North Slope is open to oil exploration, and we are in fact drilling now, and have been for years. Adding ANWR to the places we drill simply is not going to have any signficant impact on Alaska's economy. It is a pipe dream that there is another Prudhoe Bay sized field there (the USGS specifically says that isn't likely).

Quote:
This subject is much like "human-caused global warming" to some while the other side sees things differently. It does not mean, however, that one should try to silence the other side. After all, these are only opinions.
But we do need to insist on honesty, because making decisions based of false statements and emotional diatribes does not produce the desired results.

Claiming that drilling in ANWR will reduce the price of gasoline, as you did, might make your little heart flutter because it has emotional impact on fools... but it would be abject stupidity if policy makers followed up on it! And you would suffer the consequences of such false economy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 12:57 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,998,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
You've shoveled that particular bit of excriment several times now. Yes, there are people such as you that actually do believe it. But there necessarily has to be somebody on the low side of the Bell Curve.

The 1002 Area of ANWR is not "barren", it is not a "wasteland", and winter is never anything like 9 months of the year.

Have you ever been to Alaska, at all? (Oh, I just noticed... you've lived in Wasilla, CA for how long now?)
Floyd, after a 10 month stint in that hellhole of California, I moved here. Previous to that, I spent the rest of my life in Pennsylvania, most recently on a 13 acre farm that my wife and I owned. One of the reasons that we really wanted to move here is that the wife and I are conservatives, as if you didn't already pick up on that, and we can't stand the wave of "progressive" idiocy sweeping the lower 48. Alaska seemed to be one of the few last bastions of common sense.

I apologize for the belligerent tone, I really do, but I disagree with you completely on this issue. So be it.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:19 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,648,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
but I disagree with you completely on this issue. So be it.
Of course you disagree. You don't know where you are or what you are doing; everything you know about Alaska was learned somewhere else from non-Alaskans, and it all has to fit your silly ideology.

And then you had the nerve to tell someone from Outside that your opinion, based on lies and distortions and ignorance and ideology, has more value than theirs! Boy, I sure hope to tell you we disagree.

As I've tried to point out, you can find anything you want in the way of biased distortions passed off as truth on the Internet but that doesn't make a word of it even close to accurate. Citing sources that quote the likes of Frank Murkowski as an expert on the environmental impact of oil exploration is buffoonery.

Do some honest research. Learn facts. Stop trying to support your goofball ideological perceptions and try finding real solutions for problems so that people can actually benefit from the decisions made. And keep in mind that simple solutions for complex problems might make good sound bites for right wing politicians, but they are simple minded candy not valid ways to solve problems.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:44 AM

967 posts, read 2,994,643 times
What a great thread! Some of the most articulate, well written posts out there.

Yea, yea... another "lower 48'er" chiming in here with some observations.

1- regardless of where we drill, gas prices aren't coming down to anything close to what they were even a year ago. Why should they? We all grumble and bi*ch about it, but we pay it. Oil dropped $9/barrel yesterday, anyone see 10 cents come off the price at the pump? Nope. Now what happens when it goes UP $9... yeah, the attendant hustles right out there and tacks on another dime. And we pay it.

2- For the tree-huggin', dirt-eating druids: That's great you want to "save" ANWR. When the price of heating oil is unaffordable, what do you suspect folks will do? They're going to start burning wood. Yep, time to cut down some serious timber to stay warm. Hmmm, now if we cut down a good swath of trees, maybe we can actually get some global warming going.. oh, sorry "climate change". I guess it was too difficult convincing the sheeple of "warming" when they're shoveling out of 2 feet of snow every week. So good job saving the tundra. Now who's going to save the trees?

3- Who do you suppose funds the Eco-nut's? Most look like they can't afford a bar of soap (and smell like it too). Big international oil, that's who. Keep the people bickering over tree's and caribou and nothing will be accomplished. Same thing happens with coal and wind turbines.

When we get cold enough, when we get hungry enough, we'll remember that the 2nd Amendment isn't there so we can shoot game. It's there to keep an out-of-control government in check.

I love your state, and if I could convince my wife to move there I would be there in a second. I could just whack her with a stout hickory limb, but then who would cook me dinner?

Old 07-09-2008, 06:25 AM

1,869 posts, read 4,022,098 times
I heard (unsure how true) that a big way for the US to lower use of oil is to stop or cut down drastically buying bottled water. Don't forget, the oil that we get from other countries is also used to make plastic. Has anyone else heard about this?

Old 07-09-2008, 10:24 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoymonkey View Post
I heard (unsure how true) that a big way for the US to lower use of oil is to stop or cut down drastically buying bottled water. Don't forget, the oil that we get from other countries is also used to make plastic. Has anyone else heard about this?
This makes logical sense... plastic is made (mostly) from fossil oil. Some plastics are necessary, but we go through a lot of plastic in unnecessary ways like tiny bottles of water, soda, and just plain packaging. Currently, most places recycle only #1 & #2 plastic, but many things are still made with #3-#7. Also plastic doesn't normally recycle in state - i.e. you can make another of the same thing from it like glass - go it basically gets downgraded with every reuse. Many plastics are now being developed that are vegetable or animal-based, so that's a start. Packaging is the most wasteful because it doesn't really serve a useful purpose, unlike a water bottle.

Reducing this waste, expense, and consumption of resources is pretty easy too and has minimal impact on lifestyle: 1) buy bigger bottles/bags/containers, 2) consider glass or metal for storage, 3) reuse your plastic containers instead of throwing them away, 4) recycle the plastic container when it's reached the end of it's useful life, and 5) stop buying things that packaged in plastic to let businesses know that you don't want to pay extra for something that is just going to be thrown away (besides those unopenable blister carton are a pain anyway!).

Now, I have no idea (nor care) what the exact figures are regarding plastic and oil; but it does make logical sense that if you use less you don't need to buy as much. I don't think that reducing plastics is going to help the gasoline situation much though, since plastic is usually made with a different grade of crude oil than gasoline is refined from. But it could reduce another area where we are purchasing oil. If we don't use as much, we don't have to pay for as much.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:07 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
Not only does the American public pay for the increased prices at the pump (whether the price of a barrel of oil goes up or not) but they also accept the reasons for price increases for other goods/services all across the board. Now, I understand there is a logical connection between fuel and food (transporting costs etc). I get that. And some of these price increases are bonafide, but I get the feeling that everyone is just jumping on the bandwagon now and pointing the finger at whatever. Gas/oil suddenly costs more because of plastics. Electricy is projected to increase 15% over the next year because of oil increases (not sure I quite understand this). Just seems to spur alot of excuses for price increases. Why would rental car companies need to increase their rates? I don't get that. But it must be part and parcel of the same insane reasoning I heard as to why congressmen aren't more connected to their respective communities. It's the airlines' fault don't you know? There was a time when flights weren't so readily available during the weekends or evenings, but now, a DC type can get in and out of town whenever, so you see, it's the airlines' fault that he/she isn't at home more. Follow this logic around and it' will lead back to your oil price increases, and everything else remotely or not remotely connected. It's all smoke and mirrors, fluffy kittens and cotton candy theology.

Time for a beer.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:53 PM

967 posts, read 2,994,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Not only does the American public pay for the increased prices at the pump (whether the price of a barrel of oil goes up or not) but they also accept the reasons for price increases for other goods/services all across the board. Now, I understand there is a logical connection between fuel and food (transporting costs etc). I get that. And some of these price increases are bonafide, but I get the feeling that everyone is just jumping on the bandwagon now and pointing the finger at whatever. Gas/oil suddenly costs more because of plastics. Electricy is projected to increase 15% over the next year because of oil increases (not sure I quite understand this). Just seems to spur alot of excuses for price increases. Why would rental car companies need to increase their rates? I don't get that. But it must be part and parcel of the same insane reasoning I heard as to why congressmen aren't more connected to their respective communities. It's the airlines' fault don't you know? There was a time when flights weren't so readily available during the weekends or evenings, but now, a DC type can get in and out of town whenever, so you see, it's the airlines' fault that he/she isn't at home more. Follow this logic around and it' will lead back to your oil price increases, and everything else remotely or not remotely connected. It's all smoke and mirrors, fluffy kittens and cotton candy theology.

Time for a beer.
You'll need another if you want to talk about the deflated fiat Dollar and it's effect on prices.

Things are looking pretty bleak, time to head to the hills!

Old 07-09-2008, 01:04 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Lightbulb 3 Ways to Lower Gas Prices

1) At highway speeds, over 50% of your engine power goes to overcoming aerodynamic drag. Try not to add to the drag by carrying things on top of your vehicle. A loaded roof rack can decrease a car's fuel economy by 5%. Even driving with empty ski racks wastes gas. Don't ride with your windows open on the highway; this also disturbs the outside airflow and creates extra drag.

2) Keep your tires properly inflated. Underinflated tires require more energy to roll, which not only wastes fuel but wears the tires faster. According to the EPA, one tire that's underinflated by only two psi will result in a 1% increase in fuel consumption. Underinflated tires can also build up excess heat, which can lead to tire failure. Check tire pressures monthly when the tires are cold. The recommended tire pressures are found on a label inside the car--usually in a doorjamb or inside the glove-box lid.

3) An engine runs most inefficiently when it's cold. It not only uses more fuel during this period, but also creates the dirtiest emissions and suffers the most wear. Avoid lots of short, separate trips--and unnecessary cold starts--by combining as many errands as possible into one trip.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:32 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
You'll need another if you want to talk about the deflated fiat Dollar and it's effect on prices.

Things are looking pretty bleak, time to head to the hills!
Yeah...and aren't the prices of hops going up for that beer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska