Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 11:47 AM

50 posts, read 174,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by -W1LL View Post
thanks for all the info especially on the current status or Alaska I hear it is turning a little more gray than white,
thanks will.
I am glad you took it as it was ment but I am not sure what you mean by "gray"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 07:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,472 times
Smile P.S. about Alaska Russians

P.S. Maybe you already know this but I'm surprised that no one mentioned in the above thread that when they are talking about the Russian villages they are talking about the Old Believers and not the main stream old USSR/Russia city and country Russians. Most of the Russian villages in this part of Alaska are communities that are part of a network of small villages around the world that left Russia years ago for Religious beliefs and have evolved into their own culture. I've even met Old believers who were part of the Russian village but had grown up in a simmilar village in Brazil. Although not as old fashioned, some have compared to the Amish and other groups that have chosen to be secluded. Of course there are not the same restrictions on machinary, etc just focused on religions, personal values, work, and personal ethics. Some villages are nice and some are rough with all of the steriotypical problems. Some villages are very strict and some are more progressive and have joined activities with the closest city.

In other parts of Alaska we have villages with Russian influence that came from the Russians who came to trap fur, etc. (prior to the US buying Alaska) Totally different feel and often mixed with our native populations.

The third group of Russians is the group that joined many of our "cities" like Anchorage when main travel became easier in the 90's between Russian and the US/Alaska. Although ususaly no-one would know except for the accent and and a few cultural differences.

I also agree with Erica to start in a small town like Homer, Seward, Soldotna, Kenai etc and branch out from there. Something with at least a grocery store like Safeway, Fredmeyers, Carrs, or Eagle to get you started. I like the fact that you are going to try to rent first and that gets you familiar with the area.

Born and raised in AK. =)

Old 07-15-2008, 08:18 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
I agree with Erika, start slow. We came up a year ago from MN, were going to buy before, but didn't - Thank you!!! We moved six times in six months including our trip up here, including living in the 5th wheel in November, which we obviously survived. DH works for a trucking company in Kenai, which brought us up here. I work at home, but if had to go back into the mainstream would definitely choose a town like Soldotna or Kenai for work, as well as for school. We bought our house in January, are only 2 miles out of town, but in the trees and are good with that for now,would have liked more acreage, but have natural gas and room to add on if we want, just out of city limits. I don't care where you go, there are going to be drugs and crime of some sort, but have not seen anything here like in a bigger city in the -48. You even have to watch what you rent while you wait (where we hit our problems), as not everything is what it is said to be. We also had dogs and had to deal with them. I tried homeschooling the granddaughter we have living with us because of our moves and the one vehicle situation at the time, and now she is going to need to repeat her grade. She was just not made for homeschool. Just keep a level head and don't get too excited all at one time and you will do fine!!!!

Old 07-22-2008, 11:46 AM

10 posts, read 46,323 times
Grannysroost

thanks for the advice the schooling is very important but I feel that from the beginning of time we learned from our parents so hopefully that will work for us we plan on homeschooling in JR high depending on what our daughter wants and how she is doing in school.

when I say gray I mean you only see so much of people but when the doors shut so does that person, Honest people and community is what we are looking for.
but we are also looking for privacy I think thats y i like the russians they either hate u or love you either way they'll let you know.

UNFORTUNATELY our rental fell through in Homer and we might not make it up there before winter, we will be halfway up there though, we found a great place in Montana Great, Falls. I love the sound of it and look of it on the internet and we are only 10 min out of town on 15 acres so its more acreage than we have now and not too far I like the fact that we are closer to Alaska so hopefully next year when we have or newborn we will be visiting homer and looking for the best spot to live.

Thanks to all for the Great INFO. Will

Old 05-14-2009, 01:28 PM

5 posts, read 8,573 times
If you want to avoid druggies, steer clear of Anchor Point. There are drugs in every community, but AP is a hot-spot. Nikolaevsk is out on a long gravel road....tough to get to and not much out there.
Homer is a mecca for artists. Your glass would probably sell well here in the numerous local shops.
If you want to work with a really great realty company, call Chris @ Story Real Estate. He's the absolute best and we would not work with anyone else. His website is: [url]www.soldonhomer.com[/url]

Old 05-14-2009, 01:35 PM

5 posts, read 8,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -W1LL [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/374231-info-help-moving-los-angeles-homer-post4465106.html#post4465106"]http://pics3.city-data.com/forum/ima...s/viewpost.gif[/URL]
thanks for all the info especially on the current status or Alaska I hear it is turning a little more gray than white,
thanks will.

I am glad you took it as it was ment but I am not sure what you mean by "gray"?

My guess is that he was making reference to the volcanic ash turning everything gray

Old 05-14-2009, 06:09 PM

hello again
Well we never made it up to AK, moved around in great falls a couple times its great here fun winters in fact it still is winter we got almost 24" last week in 2 days.

I still feel we will be moving up to or around homer when we do move.

by gray I was forecasting the eruption LOL.

I was getting the impression some people up there in certain areas were
BS like they wear a mask of kindness.
As long as I don't live in a subdivision or apt Bldg.
I will be happy in the woods

Old 06-19-2010, 07:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,564 times
Default nfo help-moving Los Angeles to HOMER AK!

People may doubt what you say...but they will believe what you do...

Old 06-19-2010, 10:07 AM

robert smith wow man, well said.!. your name has alot of history with me where ya from.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska