U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 02:33 PM

4 posts, read 42,463 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the shout! Congratulations on your career. Email me and I'll send you a few pics others have shared with me. loda5ga@gmail.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 5,050 times
Hey Danny, I was on Adak 70-71 USMC. Loved the place, wild time up there. Trying to make it back. Maybe next jun-jul, if flight $ come down a little more $1,200.00 now, from Anchorage. Gonna visit friends in Anchorage and that's the cost from Anchorage...
Check ou this link to myspace MySpace.com - Herman - 58 - Male - PAW PAW, Illinois - www.myspace.com/adak_alaska_70_71 . Have a good one..
Roger

Old 12-21-2007, 07:16 AM

1 posts, read 4,977 times
I was stationed at the Naval Security Group from 1984 to 1986 and was there when the McDonalds went up. I remember being pregnant and going "into town" as we called it for some french fries. I loved the time that I spent there and most importantly the wild life that lives there. We even had a place to get away, one of the huts from WWII, a little home away from home. I hope that life on the island is still much the same!

Old 12-26-2007, 10:15 PM

5,798 posts, read 13,755,013 times
I lived in Adak from 1963-1965 when my Dad was stationed there in the Navy. My little brother was born there in 1964. I was only 3-4 years old, but remember sliding down a big tundra hill on cardboard, and being pulled behind a jeep on a snow sled. I also remember waiting on a dock of some kind for a boat that brought milk I think. These are vague childhood memories.

My Mom has a bunch of old picture slides of Adak. One of me holding a huge lobster. My brother still has an old sign that says Amchitka Airport - I think. My Dad brought it with him when we left for some reason.

I don't think I want to move there, but I enjoy the few memories I have.
Steve

Old 12-28-2007, 12:23 PM

2 posts, read 7,766 times
I spent 3 and a half years on Adak, as a Hospital Corpsman. from mid-87 to the beginning of '91. HAd a great time there, and really miss the fishing and hunting!!
Sure would like to learn more about the possibility of moving back out there one of these days!~~~~

Old 12-28-2007, 02:13 PM

6,090 posts, read 10,489,130 times
You could try this link for Adak pictures.

http://www.dced.state.ak.us/dca/phot....cfm?comm=Adak

Old 05-28-2008, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,805 times
Default adak 1977-78

hey Danny

I was a member of the Christian group in the barketts. on the hill lots of fun.

please check out my pictures of adak at:

[URL="http://www.craigandrebekah.com"]CRAIG AND REBEKAH’S FREELANCE PHOTOGRAPHY[/URL]

thanks

SW3 craig r. hall <><

Last edited by craighall1000; 05-28-2008 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: left out "of adak"

Old 05-28-2008, 02:26 PM

5,277 posts, read 9,897,121 times
I love hearing stories of Adak. ALthough I have never been there, when I was in the Navy I often heard sailors exchanging stories of their time in Adak, and I have never heard anyone say they hated their time there.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:04 PM

6,075 posts, read 3,545,487 times
(this is Crossfire's wife)
I was in Adak '86-'88 at the NAVFAC There certainly was no experience like it! I was way too young and did not appreciate it for what it was - - - too much time spent running through the tunnels in the barracks to the MAR Bar across the street!

Here's what I remember:
Beer in the vending machines in the barracks.
The pizza shop where EVERY pizza had some pineapple on it, want it or not.
Condition "alpha" when the wind advisory went out to secure lawn furniture, garbage cans and small animals.
Hefty bags of fresh crabs caught by a chief with a boat there :
Beer batter fried salmon chunks made in big woks full of oil.
BBQing outside and the 40 mph wind carrying the tin foil away.
Having a "stand off" at the dumpster with a bald eagle over my garbage (I let them win)
The Adak National Forest.
The "dinosaur" cage
The "mo" compound. What was down there anyway!?
War games where the seal teams would land and take our busses full of navy folks hostage.
The Marines, so dang serious.
Having a "day sleeper" sign on my door after working 2-2-2 80's at the Navfac.

My hubby and I are planning a move to Juneau soon, never thought I'd be making it back. I joke with him I KNOW I'll be okay in Juneau if I did Adak
Great to hear from everyone!
Dawn

Old 06-09-2008, 06:21 PM

1 posts, read 4,765 times
Default Adak 84-86

I was a RM2 at the ASWOC on Adak, from 84 to 86.
I did ten years in the Navy and this was the best two years of the ten.
I really did have a blast there. From the earth quakes, to the hangovers, to walking to work in a Bravo Condition, I miss it dearly. I shot over 200 rolls of film there. Unfortunately, I had an ex wife who destroyed a sea chest with all of my Navy stuff in it. So it goes.................
That said, I am very greatful for the internet and all of you who have posted pics from your time there on what I've found to be a number of sites on the web on Adak.
Thanks for letting me relive it a bit.
Ken Lovejoy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska