Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 09:14 PM

13 posts, read 58,911 times

Advertisements

DannyB

Here is a link that you might like:

NSGDept Adak, Alaska, at NAVCOMMSTA Adak; and, NSGA Adak, Alaska - intro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 08:51 PM

2 posts, read 9,723 times
Default Any Washington State former Adakians?

I lived on Adak from 1968-1977 (graduated from Adak High in 1975). Several of us former Adakians who live in Washington State get together every 2 months for lunch in the Bremerton/Tacoma area. We'd like to find more and ask them to join us. If you're in WA State, contact me: [EMAIL="simsgirl50@comcast.net"]simsgirl50@comcast.net[/EMAIL]
Robin Sims Fisher

Old 08-20-2008, 11:16 PM

1 posts, read 7,436 times
Talking Reconnect with Adak friends...

Planning a reunion. Join the party at [url]www.myspace.com/adakalaska[/url]

Old 08-22-2008, 09:20 PM

13 posts, read 49,746 times
there are four people out there now.
Count them, one, two, three, four@!

Old 04-01-2009, 10:26 PM

1 posts, read 7,039 times
I lived on Adak from 1984 to 1986. My daughter graduate from Bob Reeve High School in 1985, 20 in her class. I was on Adak in May of 1986 when we had a earthquate 6.7...I will never forget that day. I worked at the Military Childcare Center...Ms. Betty to anyone out there who remember me. Oscar the sea otter would come up to the city dock ( smile) and try to get in the boats of the fishermen. I remember the 4th of July Parade and having to wait for the sun to go down to set off the fireworks. The Adak forest with trees that never grew. Razorback mountain with snow on it, year round...and the earthquakes came and went quite frequently. I have sat on the beach and watched the sun go down and it glitter across the Bering Sea. I will never forget ADAK. I have so many pictures. The pet cemetary, where your pet had a fine resting place. Fishing at Finger Bay..Parties at Lake Andy boat house..and just watching the salmons swimming up stream. We had a T-Shirt that read...Adak is not the end of the World, but you can see it from here". To all my Adak friends of get to see this ...HELLO! Ms. Betty Stewart

Old 04-02-2009, 02:54 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,363,128 times
Hi Ms Betty! I didn't have kids at the time but I was on Adak 86-88 and I believe I was there for the 6.7 quake. I remember waiting to find out if they'd evacuate, because the cut-off reading was 7 for evacuations. I had my "cash stream" card ready for some R and R, but all was safe.....and on Adak we stayed
That was 20 years ago - and after raising our kids in PA we have since moved back to AK. I knew my experience there prepared me well for life in Southcentral Ak.
Good to hear from ya!
Dawn

Old 04-07-2009, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 7,036 times
I was on Adak at NSGA (SPECOMM) from 1978-1979. My first duty station in the Navy. I often remember back to the times I had. Both good and bad. We had only 1 TV station (AFRTS) and it normally went off the air at 10:00. What do you do with the rest of your time? I miss it now though. I wish I could go back one more time. I can understand why "Lost" the TV show can be a success. The island is calling me back.
Take care everyone,
Al Ray

Old 05-14-2009, 08:09 AM

1 posts, read 6,911 times
OH MY GOD. I just found this page. I was on Adak at NSGA 20 dept. 86-87 and i was there for the 6.7 earthquake. was on the island only 30 days when it happened...what a ride that was! all other ones i ridden werent even close to that one. I remember the day Mcdonalds opened! my god what a treat that was......hunting and fishing was the best time i ever had......except partying with my seabee and jarhead pals out in the huts......

Old 05-14-2009, 07:01 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,363,128 times
"I'm just a SeaBee from Ynemie........."
I had a cassette of that song by some local guys at the time, from what i remember it almost bought them brig time
Can't remember the words, but do remember it being worth it!
Dawn

Old 08-10-2009, 02:44 PM

87 posts, read 491,309 times
I was on Adak from 84 - 86 stationed at the NAVFAC as an OTAC.

Miss Betty, both of my kids went to the center. My son was 6 and my daughter was 4 in 1984. The schools were great and there was always so much for kids to do there. My daughter went to the reading lab twice a week at 4, the year before she was even "officially" in school. She was so proud to be able ride the bus like the big kids.

I remember so many good times and a couple not so good.

Snow during the 4th of July parade is a highlight, as was the Marines "hitting the beach" and then hitting the McDonalds following their "invasion".

We were there when McDonalds opened. My wife was among the first group of assistant manager's.

The swimming pool and roller skating in the Bering building are fond memories, as are the forest and the pet cemetary.

Eagles and otters and even the ravens bring back smiles.

Sledding with my kids on Moffett - and the occasional Williwaw - the birthplace of the winds.

The earthquake that several people have mentioned occured on May 7, 1986. It wasn't a 6.7 though. At the time it was called a 7.7. It was later upgraded to a 8.0, but eventually the USGS settled on calling it a 7.9.

I was in the NAVFAC during the quake, down near the end of the hall that contained the training office. In fact, I was walking from training to QA when it started. I remember standing under a large concrete overhead beam along with a couple other folks and watching as several overhead lights and ceiling panels came down.

Largest Earthquakes in the United States

Following the earthquake pretty much everyone was evacuated up to Bering hill. And I recall that after the all-clear, we went home and found that the Adak earthquake was the lead story on the evening news for all the broadcast networks as well as CNN.

Last edited by Oberon476; 08-10-2009 at 02:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska