U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 07:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,812 times

Advertisements

10 years on THE ROCK accumulated by 3 tours from 72 to 87. Totally heartbroken when I heard we pulled out. I was an RM at SPECOMM and NAVFAC. Glad to see a familiar name (Al Ray knows me well). Stuck in WV nowadays. Wish you all the best.
Art Mason
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraysrus View Post
I was on Adak at NSGA (SPECOMM) from 1978-1979. My first duty station in the Navy. I often remember back to the times I had. Both good and bad. We had only 1 TV station (AFRTS) and it normally went off the air at 10:00. What do you do with the rest of your time? I miss it now though. I wish I could go back one more time. I can understand why "Lost" the TV show can be a success. The island is calling me back.
Take care everyone,
Al Ray
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 07:11 AM

5 posts, read 9,613 times
Default Photos of Adak, You betcha...

Here is the best source I have found. Adak Alaska Photographic History Lots of links to diff. sources. Most are very good. Many from the '77 era. Happy hunting !!

Old 12-02-2010, 02:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,518 times
Default adak

i was there at navfac 84-86 as a et-3 and we had a blast. would love to go back. would love to hear from old friends too.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,402 times
I was on Adak in 1984-85 at NSGA and remember all the little earthquakes. I was just a teen in the Navy and took alot of pics. Still today if the cloud cover is full and the wind is blowing just right about 40 degrees with alot of moisture in the air, I flash back to Adak like I was still there. I remember help starting the independent church there called Berian Full Gospel Assembly with a pastor named Mike...wish i could get in touch with him and his family. Man I know those baptisms in the Bering Sea had to be cold cold cold. LOL..vanhall@hotmail.com

Old 03-31-2011, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,349 times
Hello all Rosey here, I was on ADAK from 93-96, all most the last one to turn off the lights Was an engine-man working in the power plant spent my entire tour of duty there. To this day I still refer to it as fantasy land, nothing like going halibut fishing in the Bering in the middle of January, playing softball during a blizzard, trying not to get blown away by the wind and of course the true polar bear swim. have 100s and 100s of pictures along with video of a hick to the top of MT on Xmas day 94 along with the video of when the EOD guys blow up the 800 footer.
Am very sad to see the few picture online of what was once a great place. Uncle Sam should have Never given it back

Old 04-21-2011, 01:25 PM

2 posts, read 4,610 times
Hi DannyB,
Were you or someone in family stationed there? I was stationed on the NAS side of the island. Was there for 2 earth quakes, an atomic test (where they evacuated the island. Just me and a shipmate watching an inlet awaiting the rise or fall of the water. We were told to take our vehicle and go to higher ground if the water level changed. It was a great view from the second floor of the supply building. I was TAD to Main Supply from VP-19. I could see our Squadron Hanger on the other side of the flight line. Actually lived on the 2nd floor of the old hanger, down from the Barracks. Those of us who were TAD from the squadron had the previliage of building the walls. Had a group playroom off the hanger deck. To report for duty I would have to walk through our hanger, then trough a second to the
base repair building, where we TAD'ers worked. The hangers were dimley lit and it was a bit un-nurving
to walk through for 2nd shift. Was the hand me down Chevy (1956 + of -), which was constantly fixed up and passed down still there when you were? They usto drag it on the airstrip. How about the burned P2 which was pushed off the runway in 1969. I was there when it happened. The crew lost everything they owned but fortunately no one was hurt. Over my six month tour I never made it to the NS portion of the island. Did get a chanch to visit the WWII quanset huts. Have to admit that I would love to make a trip back to Adak, though I fear much of what I remember might be gone.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:35 PM

2 posts, read 4,610 times
Do you remember the old saying, "Rather be involved with a Polar Bear then a dependent on Adak". LOL Look a few postings down to see more about my tour. Nice bumping into you shipmate.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:43 AM

4 posts, read 10,002 times
Weird Finding: Adak, AK
Okay, So I was just playing around with google earth and found a peciliar city: Adak, Alaska. I searched it and found out a little from other threads here, and it seems that it is a run down village that saw its glory days throughout the 20th century. The Wiki page makes it seem like its just a small town that is still populated. I was wondering if somebody could tell me the truth.. I have no plans of moving there or to Alaska or anything, just that the city has drawn me in and I have been obsessed about it for the past couple days haha. Also, does anybody know of other Alaskan Ghost Towns that are interresting?

Oh, and yesterday I thought I could finally stop thinking about Adak, like its some spooky place with mystery, but when changing the time zone on my computer I saw this and it broke the camels back haha: Very first city listed! AHH!

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/alask...#ixzz1WECUtLVb

the place is actually a former naval base that had shut down in the mid '90s my family and i were stationed there from 84 to 89, talk about the middle of nowhere. never been to a colder place scince, 30 below in the winter and about 30 feet of snow,

Old 08-27-2011, 05:47 AM

my dad got stationed there from 84 to 89, and i was there for the earthquake, thought it was a 7.4? scariest thing i ever went thru, also the coldest place from hell too, i live in north seattle now the people in seattle dont know what snow is

Old 08-27-2011, 05:52 AM

nice, my dad got stationed there from 84 to 89 was there for that quake. damn that was scary, specially for a 11 year old at the time,heheh forgot about the july 4 snowstorm during that parade, @sighs@ miss the old place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska