Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 05:56 AM

4 posts, read 13,552 times

Advertisements

my dad got stationed there from 84 to 89, my mom was one of the eployees at that mcdonalds will never forget that quake, and that fourth of july snowstorm, @sighs@
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 10:49 PM

1 posts, read 4,565 times
Smile Adak Seabee

Hello to all,
I was stationed on Adak with the Navy Exchange from Oct '84 to Sep '86. I was a Seabee mechanic and worked at the NEX garage. So if you were there during that time and ever took your car to the garage, there's a good chance I may have worked on it. I loved Adak! Didn't realize how much until after I had left. I would love to go back there one day. My wife went all 4 years at Bob Reeves High School. She was there 5 years. That is where we met, and 25 years later, we are still together. I didn't do much fishing or hunting while there, although now that I look bad, I wish I had. You didn't realize just how special Adak was until after you left. I will always cherish my tour on Adak.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:53 AM

1 posts, read 4,431 times
I was stationed in Adak from 1981-1985 assigned to the Fire Dept.. I remember arriving right before Christmas 1981 and wondering what I had done to deserve this. I fell in love with the island and have had fond memories ever since. I always remember the one and only channel AFRTS. They used to have a Filipino band playing who always sang "your ryan ice" (your lying eyes). That still cracks me up.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:29 AM

186 posts, read 263,287 times
Hi guys

SeaBee dependent here. Was on Adak in 79, graduated from Bob Reeve HS. Brother graduated about 3 years later. See if you can get in touch with the reunion people. We have been invited a few times. They had an "All Years" Reunion in Las Vegas, for anyone who graduated from Adak. We were invited a couple of times. Sorry couldn't lay my hands on the info quick.

I work for Fish and Wildlife in Alaska and we actually have a small field station out there. I get news from some of the biologists who go out there. They said Old Roberts Housing (where I lived) is falling down, and it looks like a zombie movie because everything is empty and they took all the cars to the commissary and put them in the parking lot.

I still remember backing my car into Lake Andy (my brother's fault) and tundra stomping, and scarily finding WWII ordnance, taking the dogs out to Finger Bay and Thumb Bay, and doing a core sample of the paint on the "rock" to see how many layers there were for the school newspaper, The Rock Talk. I think I still have a few issues stashed away.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 4,394 times
Mrs. Betty my father was station in Adak from 1988-92. I was a young child at that time, but the good memories had never faded away. A matter of fact, my mom use to work in the Daycare next to the high school (Mrs.Kyser).
I remember hanging out with friends freely with no worries. Playing hide and seek up to the Bering Building down to the Shoppette. I remember my mom organizing talent shows for kids and all night skating party at the center... All though I was a child during the period I lived in Adak, I have some of the greatest memories. There's truly no place like Adak, Alaska.
I'm glad I discovered this forum it really brings back good memories.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:08 PM

202 posts, read 355,978 times
I worked as an electronics guy for the federal govt. I started working at Adak in 1998 when there was still about 20 navy personnel until 2003 when I was transferred to a Bethel I was on my way to Adak on 9/11 and was stuck in Cold Bay.
I saw a lot of changes to what was left of all the infrastructure a huge waste of money so many homes without people. too much of a city without enough people.
dennis

Old 06-12-2012, 10:27 AM

3 posts, read 10,234 times
Monica -- Glad you stayed Navy. I did two tours on Adak, both in the '80s. I'd go back. I retired in '91, now living in Oregon.

Dave

Old 06-12-2012, 10:35 AM

3 posts, read 10,234 times
Hi gtetro -- You mentioned the TV station with one channel. I was part of the crew that ran the station. I was there in '81 and again '86-'88. The big quake was unforgettable. It is truly a beautiful place.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:16 PM

3 posts, read 7,663 times
I was also stationed on Adak from 90-92 at Navy Broadcasting. I have a lot of great memories about the place. I worked part time at the theater and every once in a while we would run a movie nobody would want to see so we could shut down the theater when nobody showed and go fishing at Finger Bay.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:16 AM

275 posts, read 579,602 times
I just ran across a trip report from someone who recently visited Adak. They took a lot of pictures

Adak Trip Report | Alphaeagle.com

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska