U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 999 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I was stationed on Adak Jul 77-Jul 78 as an RM2 at Sweepers Cove. Since I was 21 and had only been married 1 month when I arrived, and my husband was not with me, it was not the best of assignments. But, I did find many things to love about it. Walking from the single barracks down to the garbage dump and finding myself in the middle of the Eagle feeding grounds, watching the Otters using rocks from the cove floor to break into the crustaceans (so very cute), seeing the Adak National Forrest (all 40 or so trees about 5' tall), and most of all the 2 am dimming of the sun. It was a big change from my first duty station on Guam, both had only two seasons (Guam wet/dry and Adak All day or All night. Still a great memory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 04:38 PM

1 posts, read 721 times
Hi All,
NavSta Adak was my first duty station after I joined the Navy in late '68. Was on Adak from Nov. 69 to Nov. 70 and then again May 70 to Nov 70. Was an Aviation Elect. Tech. maintaining radar systems on the old P-2 and P-3 sub hunter aircraft. Really loved the place! The only barracks available then was up on Bearing hill. No swimming pool then. Just a small theater and EM club. I was only an E-3 at the time. Us low ranked guys had to unload the freighter that brought in all the supplies to the island. Hated it! lol 2 - 3 nights of freezing down on the docks. A couple buddies and I had one of the old WW2 huts while we were there. There were left over piles of coal all over the hills and would us the coal to heat our hut. Even at that time there was still a lot of old WW2 stuff around the island. Retired from the Navy in 89 and always wanted to go back but never got the chance. Really sad to see the shape the place is in now......

Old 04-09-2016, 11:51 PM

1 posts, read 524 times
Default Adak 1965-1968

My Dad was stationed in Adak @65-68 when he was in the Navy. I have fond memories of Adak. It was safe for kids to play. We would slide down the tundra slope using cardboard, went fishing at the streams, and build a clubhouse using driftwood we found on the rocky beaches. The sun did not set till close to midnight during the summer. If there were bad storms expected during the winters, everyone was sent to a shelter. However, I don't recall too many bad storms requiring evacuation. I recall the strong williwaws, which you can hear "screaming" during the nights.

My siblings and I went to the elementary school in a gray bus driven by a sailor. The elementary school and the high school were in one building. Our teachers were civilians; some brought their families and their kids went to school with us. During the winters, we would have PE (trampoline, dodge ball, gymnastics) in the indoor gym. On weekends, we went to a building that had a theatre to watch free movies, a small convenience store to buy our 5 cent candy bars for the movies, a bowling alley, a hobby shop, a ceramic shop, a burger joint, and pinball machines. There was only one TV channel and one radio station, both operated by the Navy. (No DVDs, no videos, no Internet, no game stations). We lived in a duplex housing, fully furnished, with a shared laundry room and shared garages separating the two homes. Our front and back yards were lawns of jagged stones instead of green grass. Trees did not grow in Adak. There were 2-4 feet pine trees in Adak Forest, which never grew during our 3 years in Adak. Items in the PX were very limited so mom ordered our clothing, sewing materials, and birthday and Xmas gifts from the Sears or Penneys catalog. To alleviate boredom, Mom sewed and made ceramics. During the cold winters, my siblings and I played "combat" or "voyage to the bottom of the sea" or any imaginary play-acting to keep us occupied. The Navy did not pay enough to servicemen during those days. One summer, mom worked on a king crab boat that docked in the bay. My dad worked part time on Friday and/or Saturday nights as a bartender at the military club. My siblings and I would massage his back and legs the following day; and Dad would pay us from his tips. When we had enough saved, we rode our bikes to a small PX near the housing to buy toys, games, puzzles, or books. Yes, life was simple and beautiful in Adak, nothing compared to our next naval station.... Alameda. RIP, Dad, and thank you for the wonderful and educational journeys throughout your naval career.

Last edited by Binghimhiv; 04-10-2016 at 12:09 AM..

Old 11-16-2016, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 330 times
Wink Old Timer NAS Adak

Man, things must have changed after I left the "ROCK". I was there from December 1964 to June 1967
I was a crew member ( plain captain ) on P2V Adak 135560 and bored a lot of holes in the sky. From taking stuff to Amchitks for "A" Bomb test to playing with the Russian fishing boats (NOT). Have changed runways several times before we were able to take off ( wind changed so much ) Remember the mountain at the end of the runway.
Did many P3 engine test in the test cell out behind the middle hanger.
Loved the dolly varden fishing at Lake Andrew and the beer drinking/poker playing in the secluded quancet huts with a borrowed generator from special and the beer packed in the snow but don't miss the cold and snow at all.
I had a 1954 mercury that had a title about as thick as a sears catalogue (changed hands so much) that I bought for $50 bucks and sold for $50 bucks when I left ( it had two shift levers in the floor, one for reverse and 1st gear, the other lever for 2nd and 3rd.
NO Mc nothing when I was there, not even any family housing, just snow cold and wind.

Old 11-17-2016, 01:47 AM

55 posts, read 22,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Adak is going through a rebirth right now. My company has just signed an aggreement to manage it.

The oil companies are needing a staging point for arctic oil exploration and Shell will be demobing there this fall and other companies are getting ramped up for Arctic exploration as well. Dutch Harbor doesn't have the room.

The edge of the world is going to get a lot busier!
I don't know if starlite is still here, so this is a necropost, but: what is it like now? Does anyone here live there currently? or know the status of the rebirth?

Old 11-17-2016, 06:42 AM

5,766 posts, read 13,570,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecil pearson View Post
Man, things must have changed after I left the "ROCK". I was there from December 1964 to June 1967
I was a crew member ( plain captain ) on P2V Adak 135560 and bored a lot of holes in the sky. From taking stuff to Amchitks for "A" Bomb test to playing with the Russian fishing boats (NOT). Have changed runways several times before we were able to take off ( wind changed so much ) Remember the mountain at the end of the runway.
Did many P3 engine test in the test cell out behind the middle hanger.
Loved the dolly varden fishing at Lake Andrew and the beer drinking/poker playing in the secluded quancet huts with a borrowed generator from special and the beer packed in the snow but don't miss the cold and snow at all.
I had a 1954 mercury that had a title about as thick as a sears catalogue (changed hands so much) that I bought for $50 bucks and sold for $50 bucks when I left ( it had two shift levers in the floor, one for reverse and 1st gear, the other lever for 2nd and 3rd.
NO Mc nothing when I was there, not even any family housing, just snow cold and wind.
Did you know any of the air traffic controllers? My Dad was stationed there '63 to '66. My my little brother was born there '65. My earliest childhood memories are from Adak. We left when I was 4 years old, to San Diego and much better weather!

PS - I have this weird desire to go visit Adak. Why? I don't know.

Old 11-25-2016, 05:47 PM

1 posts, read 233 times
Default Afrts oic

Does anyone on this blog remember the first name of the Officer in Charge of AFRTS detachment in 1984-1985 timeframe? His last name was Cole. I believe he was an LTjg.

Old 04-14-2017, 06:22 PM

1 posts, read 72 times
Howard Olson
worked on the new housing in 1986-87, 500 homes-two seasons--crazy weather to say the less--it was hard to believe after all the new homes a few other buildings the navy closed the base--took lots of picture around Adak -and now it's around$2700.00 to fly out there.-have friends in Sand Point--also worked on a few homes there also. Loved Alaska, 20 years in Anchorage.

Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM

2,878 posts, read 854,225 times
When our squadron (VR-8) in Moffett Field CA dissolved in 1967, a good friend of mine (J D Thomas AK3 ) got orders to Adak Alaska.

J D was from Copper Hill TN and a great guy !
I got orders to VA-128 Whidbey Island WA and we lost track of each other.

Old Today, 08:53 PM

767 posts, read 281,262 times
Last time I was there was 2004, the housing and other buildings were definitely suffering the weather and inactivity.
It's like a ghost town, lot's of empty buildings and empty roads. Pretty cool though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska