Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 03:27 PM

15 posts, read 41,512 times

Advertisements

I was in your beautiful state the last two weeks of May and the weather was great. In Anchorage it was warm and sunny. I have enclosed a copy of a, true, short story I wrote many years ago about my beloved Alaska.

I awoke early that morning it was the third week of December 1978. I remember the day so vividly now, as it pours from my mind, like it was just yesterday. My eyes now begin to fill with tears as I reminisce. The cabin we had built with our hands and hearts sat on the bank of the Deshka River in Willow, Alaska, just south of the Susitna Mountain Range, with a wisp of snow always visible. Oh! How God had blessed this land with blue, blue skies and a snowy white blanket of purity.

It was still dark as I started to make breakfast for my husband and two daughters. Deshka was six months old, named after the river I loved so much, and my darling April was three, named for the most beautiful time of the year. We ate hardy knowing the long journey we would soon encounter would require a great deal of strength and dexterity. As I looked out the window I could see the glory of the morning rising from the east. I could barely make out the outline of several moose moving slowly down the frozen river. The cabin was warm and the aroma of fresh baked bread filled every nook. I placed another log in the pot belly stove and sparks began to float through the air, skyward through the flue. I would tell the girls that the sparks from the fire were really fairies, being released from this world, ascending to the next.

As we departed the cabin, I looked back and the warmth seemed to be calling me home. I quickly looked away, holding onto that one last glance. The four of us got on our duel track Arctic Cat Snow Machine being the largest and most powerful machine for that day, and prepared for the harsh wilds of Alaska. I could smell the fire from the pot belly stove for many miles. We were all excited to be going into Anchorage to spend Christmas with Uncle Pat and Aunt Susie.

I had seen this trail from an aerial view several years earlier but had never seen it from my current perspective. Trees had fallen throughout the years and we had to remove them with the chain saw we had brought with us. I expected a few trees but to my utter amazement the fallen trees on the trail was no where in sight. The journey to Willow, where our vehicle was parked, was fifteen miles away but we only had three hours of daylight let. The journey seemed like a fruitless task and we could see no way of getting out of the dilemma, for it was too late to turn back.

As the day passed it became colder and I could see the pain of the cold taking its toll on my children, which made my stomach twist in sickness. My adrenaline began to flow, as I realized we were in a life or death situation. The sun would soon be setting and the chance of getting out of the wilderness seemed unachievable. My husband and I worked harder in silence knowing the pain the other felt.

We continued to work, suddenly I could see the shore of the Matanuska-Susitan River, the last feat in our journey. This river was one of a kind, as swift as it was wide. I stood on the bank of the river holding my two daughters, knowing we were in for a snow storm. I hoped I was not passing my feeling of fear to my daughters, through the tone of my voice and quivering of my hands

I got back on the Arctic Cat holding my daughters closer, to protect them from the cold wind. The snow began to fall lightly. As the minutes passed it seemed like an eternity and the snow began to fall in comparison to a torrent rain. The sun had set and darkness prevailed. My sense of direction was tangled in my mind and I had no idea which way we were traveling. The Arctic Cat came to a sudden halt as it broke through the ice and the slush touched my boot. I got off the Arctic Cat and my husband and I tried to pull the snow machine out of the hole in the ice that seemed to getting bigger, and was soon going to swallow up our only means of transportation. The Arctic Cat would not budge no matter how hard we tried to pull it out of the icy hole. I fell back into the snow and my tears began to freeze on my face. At this precise moment in time, I made a covenant with the creator, knowing I had to give up something I loved and cherished. I was asking for the ultimate gift, the life of my children. A feeling of warmth and peace came over me as the snow covered our bodies. Out of the silence came the sound of barking dogs, I sat up and surge of energy shot through me. We found the strength to free the machine from the icy waters and headed toward the sound of the barking dogs, and safety.

The last ember in the pot belly stove flickered and its last fairy departed this world December 1978. Ice crystals began to enter every crack in the cabin until warmth no longer remained. I never again laid eyes on my beloved cabin, it became and will remain the ice palace of my mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 03:40 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,846,302 times
Ichor - heart-touching story, so glad you all were safe. May I ask why you didn't go back, where did you go?

Old 07-28-2008, 11:15 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,447,554 times
I would like to complain about Rance's complaint that too many people are complaining these days.

Oh, and "Kicks are for Kids" silly warptman.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:44 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,821,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I would like to complain about Rance's complaint that too many people are complaining these days.
Kwitchurbellyakin!

Old 07-29-2008, 12:32 PM

655 posts, read 916,429 times
Complaining? I hear the sun is out today. Best get out there as I hear the rest of the week is supposed to be back to the old grind. I checked the forecast, it states abut 3/4 of a day of sun, then rain and clouds all week.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:53 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,821,950 times
I'm fixing to board the jet to Anchortown. Hoping for some nice photographic weather on the drive south. And my garden should be good and watered. So yes I need some sun! Might be too hot tho!

Old 07-29-2008, 07:31 PM

457 posts, read 1,016,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
About time, don't you think? Will be huge for Alaska's economic growth and stability. Too bad I already moved. haha. Should bode well for your real estate market up there and provide some good paying jobs. But I still say too bad it rans all summer and you freeze all winter.

Congradulations! Now back to my round of golf.........
He'll be back!!!!

Old 07-29-2008, 08:38 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,947,412 times
I heard the sun was out too. Was it warm?

Old 07-29-2008, 09:04 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,447,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I heard the sun was out too. Was it warm?
Yep. The third quasi-sunny day this summer that got warmer than 65°F since May in the Mat-Su Valley. Mark it on your calendar.

Personally, I blame those living on the Kenai Peninsula for hogging our sunshine.

Quote:
If you take a look at tonight's weather map, you will see that we don't have one. So try to picture last night's weather map in your mind. You will remember that the weather was dominated by a large Canadian low, which should not be confused with a Mexican high.

Tonight's forecast will be dark. Continued dark throughout the night, turning into widely scattered light by morning. --- George Carlin, in the role of "The Hippy Dippy Weatherman."

Old 07-29-2008, 09:08 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,846,302 times
It was warm, not sure how warm, but had to turn the AC on in truck cause the kids were screaming it was too hot!!! Haven't done that one in a long time - had to find the button
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska