U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Seattle native looking to relocate to Alaska, family issues holding back from moving, half Eskimo, raising family in Alaskan culture

Old 07-23-2008, 09:40 PM

5 posts, read 11,244 times

Advertisements

Anyone still tee-tering on the notion to move up to Alaska? How come?

My move is uncertain...its still just in the idea stage.

I was born and raised in Alaska. I currently live in Seattle after "exploring" the lower 48.

My biggest thing is that I am half eskimo, and would love to raise my children in Alaska.

I have no children...yet.

I would love to share my heritage with my future children. Being eskimo is really rare, compared to other lineages. I would love for them to grow up in the same culture as I did. I would love for them to know all their extended family. (I dont have any family down here).

The only thing that is holding me back is my crazy mother, and brother that live up there.

Crazy is an understatement for them. They both live in Anchorage. I am almost considering moving to some small town bush Alaska town. (I have before) That way I will be "in Alaska", but far away enough from them.

I was originally thinking some small town, with road access, but the realist side of me started to kick in, and realized that roads mean..... access...

Anywho, thats whats stopping me thus far. I just need to find some place where I think I would fit in. (Might be hard, I have pretty much been polluted by the lower 48!)

Why are you still having a hard time relocating? Anything holding you back? Maybe we can help eachother with solutions!

Last edited by AnchorageSeattle; 07-23-2008 at 10:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 11:02 AM

763 posts, read 2,003,231 times
I think I ran into your mother and brother the other day...

Seriously, other than avoiding unpleasant family situations, I don't see how it's much of a debate if you're in Seattle. Anywhere in Alaska is better than Seattle! Come on back home.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:30 AM

5,963 posts, read 10,486,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorageSeattle View Post
Anyone still tee-tering on the notion to move up to Alaska? How come?

My move is uncertain...its still just in the idea stage.

I was born and raised in Alaska. I currently live in Seattle after "exploring" the lower 48.

My biggest thing is that I am half eskimo, and would love to raise my children in Alaska.

I have no children...yet.

I would love to share my heritage with my future children. Being eskimo is really rare, compared to other lineages. I would love for them to grow up in the same culture as I did. I would love for them to know all their extended family. (I dont have any family down here).

The only thing that is holding me back is my crazy mother, and brother that live up there.

Crazy is an understatement for them. They both live in Anchorage. I am almost considering moving to some small town bush Alaska town. (I have before) That way I will be "in Alaska", but far away enough from them.

I was originally thinking some small town, with road access, but the realist side of me started to kick in, and realized that roads mean..... access...

Anywho, thats whats stopping me thus far. I just need to find some place where I think I would fit in. (Might be hard, I have pretty much been polluted by the lower 48!)

Why are you still having a hard time relocating? Anything holding you back? Maybe we can help eachother with solutions!
Just curious what you meant by "being polluted by the lower 48" - I would say whatever and wherever makes you happy is the place to be, as long as you can make a living there. Best of luck in your decision.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:45 PM

45 posts, read 192,919 times
Is there a way you can have a frank chat with your mother and brother - establish boundaries? If they want you back, they might be willing to listen. If not, you don't *have* to tell them you're moving back...

I am seriously debating a move to/around Anchorage. A visit last month cleared up many questions I had, and made me even more eager to job search there. However, the winters are the one issue holding me back. Cold and snow doesn't bother me (I have that now) but I might find the short days difficult. Luckly, I do know that I respond well to SAD lamps. I might be worrying over nothing - I won't know unless I try it, I guess!

Old 07-24-2008, 06:59 PM

21,358 posts, read 32,283,489 times
The darkness is only in your head. Learn to cope with it and you'll have no problem living here year round. I have trouble sleeping in the summer with the long daylight and has to have a pitch black room to sleep.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:06 PM

45 posts, read 192,919 times
(Totally off topic, sorry)
Hey, Warpt, I met one of your new neighbors on my visit last month. A dental hygienist who moved to Bethel about 2-3 months ago. Nice lady! She and I were on the same boat tour of Prince William Sound. I heard all about Bethel... Kept mentioning the liquor situation, though.

Last edited by My2cats1; 07-24-2008 at 07:23 PM..

Old 07-24-2008, 10:11 PM

5 posts, read 11,244 times
Thanks all. I definitely like the idea of boundries. I LOVE the idea of not telling them I even moved up there. HAHA, that would be hilarious. But they would find out sooner or later. I'm practically related to everyone.

Polluted by the lower 48...Lets see. Well I have noticed here in Seattle, A LOT of people are uppity, and "snobbish". Everyone wants to be better than everybody else. I'm sure this is true in a lot of places around the country. Although I never ran into it in Alaska (It probably exists somewhere up there though). Scary thing is I had to stop myself one day because I was telling someone about my new car, and all its features, yada, yada, yada. I had an "oh crap" moment while talking. It didnt feel good to know that I was gloating about my new car to someone with a less than new car. I'm sure now to be more humble.

Honestly, thats all I can think of right now. There is probably other small things. I do feel like my way of thinking has changed since moving....

In Alaska: "This is broken. How can I fix this myself? How can I rig it to work?."

In Seattle: "This is broken. Call an expert right away. They charge $210 an hour, oh well, no spa day this month"

In Alaska: "My clothes are starting to get a little outdated. Oh well, at least I have clothes, and besides no one really notices anyhow."

In Seattle: "I bought this sweater 2 months ago, I need a new one. Why? Because it is from the early fall line, and the winter line is out now."

In Alaska: "I have $300 to spend on clothes, lucky me!"

In Seattle: "$300? Thats like a pair of jeans, and thats it"

Anyway, I could go on forever with those! Haha! I have noticed that I have become more materialistic since moving down here. It was a gradual change. If everyone around you acts like that, then you slowly turn into that. I guess kind of like an accent. You just start to pick it up after a while.

I do realize that materialistic people are everywhere, including Alaska. But there is just A LOT of them here.

I do feel like I need to get away from that kind of lifestyle. Lifes too short to worry about little things. I'm starting the realize that life is about so much more than that.

I think getting back to my roots will help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska