Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 7,108 times

Advertisements

My family is moving to Delta Junction and we need to find a house or apartment for rent that will take two kids and pets. If anyone in Delta Junction knows of anything that would fit our family I would appreciate a response. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2007, 01:20 PM

15 posts, read 59,857 times
We Found our rental house on the Delta News web: http://www.deltanewsweb.com/index.php
It is a friendly small town, but it is a chore to get supplies. The local grocery has the basics, but the run out of things sometimes.
Hope this helps
C

Old 03-24-2007, 08:06 PM

91 posts, read 422,574 times
When will you be moving to Delta Junction?
There will be a 2400 sq.ft house with 3 bedroom and 2 full baths with a 2 car garage and a little over an acre of property as well as pet friendly opening up near the end of Sept this year. Right here in Delta Junction

Old 03-28-2007, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 7,056 times
Delta Lodging will be opening up next month. 907-322-4979.
Low rates and a wide range of options available.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:39 AM

1 posts, read 6,843 times
Question base housing?

do any of you know anything about base housing at ft. greely? we are thinking about taking a job offer, but need to know more about the cost of living there. i figure the base would be cheaper. any help or tips would be appreciated.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:05 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,228,708 times
Not great housing but not a dump either. Stayed as a sub contractor for 2 days in housing area.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:31 PM

7 posts, read 45,339 times
I am considering moving to Fort Greely also and am as lost as everyone else as to weather to drive, what housing is available when I arrive, Buy a car there if I fly in you know just about everything and would like to have some idea before accepting the job

Old 01-17-2009, 10:43 PM

58 posts, read 169,348 times
if your military than there is housing on post for no charge- starting in april housing will be privatized (basically a private company will run housing- they're still working out the contract with the government so i can't tell u exactly how things will change at that time) contract workers pay rent in order to live on post. there are a couple of realtors in delta. durham realty and mt. hayes realty i know of off hand. courtney durham at durham realty is very nice!! if you're military but don't have time to scout out houses i'd just plan on living on post. the houses are pretty old, but ok. if u work either military or contract work on post you can shop at the px and commissary where things are cheaper than off post. send me a message of more questions if u think of any.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 5,879 times
Hello all i am new here and hopefully getting a job for thr govt at ft greely as a fireman.. I live in el paso texas and know its gonna be a drastic move ,but im willing to take the job if its offered!.. I have a diesel truck and have heard that i might have to do something to the motor to keep it from freezing? Can anyone help with this or give me some insight on it? How much is fuel? Also as i read from a previous post i guess housing is gonna be hard to find i am single and have no pets im just me...i know its a 3 day drive from el paso texas. Anyways hope to hear from someone!! Zeke

Old 03-16-2009, 12:06 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zekestr308 View Post
Hello all i am new here and hopefully getting a job for thr govt at ft greely as a fireman.. I live in el paso texas and know its gonna be a drastic move ,but im willing to take the job if its offered!.. I have a diesel truck and have heard that i might have to do something to the motor to keep it from freezing? Can anyone help with this or give me some insight on it? How much is fuel? Also as i read from a previous post i guess housing is gonna be hard to find i am single and have no pets im just me...i know its a 3 day drive from el paso texas. Anyways hope to hear from someone!! Zeke
It is 3,740 miles from El Paso, Texas, to Fort Greely, Alaska. Assuming you drove 10 hours per day, you would have to average 124.67 mph in order to make the drive in three days. If I were you, I would add in a few more days to your trip schedule.

Wait until you get to Alaska before winterizing your vehicle. Winterizing a vehicle means installing one or more of the following:
  • An oil pan heater;
  • A block heater; and/or
  • A battery blanket.
Deisel vehicles also take a bit longer to warm up, and a lot of people will block most of the air going through the front grill to keep the engine warmer during the winter. Also, switching to a lighter weight oil during the winter will keep the oil from freezing and turning into sludge when it gets really cold.

If at all possible, in a perfect world, you want to keep your vehicle inside a heated garage. If that is not possible, be sure to keep your vehicle plugged in when not in use. On some days, when the temperatures drop below -50°F, even that will not be enough.

Deisel fuel is currently about $2.46/gallon in Fairbanks. It will be slightly more in Delta Junction or Fort Greely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: