U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-31-2008, 10:47 AM

1,331 posts, read 1,929,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Do you realize that every time you post an article which entirely consists of Argumentum Ad Hominem you advertize the fact that nothing you have to say is credible?

You called me names. You called everyone else names.

You had no facts, no logic, and no credibility in that article.
Floyd, it's your arrogant and presumptive manner of speaking, along with your disjointed and factually incorrect arguments, which incurs the frustration that translates to my posting. You are entitled to your positions, no matter how misguided and devoid of common sense.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:17 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,139,376 times
Well...it appear that poor old CS has returned......quite disappointing that he came back to spew additional crappolla and waste our time some more.

So....you work, I'm surprised you're employable

BTW......busting your Republican Ted Stevens make perfect sense !

Come back later, if you can find your way, and we'll be able to show you his FBI mug shot picture

Old 07-31-2008, 12:00 PM

3,538 posts, read 4,357,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
Floyd, it's your arrogant and presumptive manner of speaking, along with your disjointed and factually incorrect arguments, which incurs the frustration that translates to my posting. You are entitled to your positions, no matter how misguided and devoid of common sense.
Why would you resort to Argumentum Ad Hominem if my posts (as opposed to your own) actually where what you say there? At least this time you left out the name calling... and all you are left with is another logical fallacy, Victory By Proclamation.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
No, I haven't disappeared Captain Crackpot, I have this little thing called "work" I have to do. Something that DC-types apparently only have a passing familiarity with. Why don't you go find some other forum to pollute with your nonsensical rantings? This an Alaska forum.
There is also another bit of an angle to this "Captain Crunch" that probably should be pointed out. He is using a "famous" pseudonym.

John T. Draper, aka Captain Crunch, is a person with a history in the telecommunications industry. For many years any mention of his name on the Internet would result in someone letting him know about the discussion, and he would show up with a comment. I don't know if he is still alive, or not. But regardless, someone who isn't Draper that calls himself "Captain Crunch" is not genuine.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:23 PM

14,872 posts, read 24,722,876 times
My brother lives right next door to Teds place in Girdwood. The media has been in front of his house for a week taking pictures. I think it was ADN reporter stated something about his full basemant. he has no basement in that house. Anyway...my Mom was up there the other day, and sent my 2 nieces over to Teds to eat sandwhiches and bask in the sun on his deck. She told them to get in all the pictures! And the reporters would play hell trying to get one without them in it. Then...they have lot's of bears in town this year...so the girls would jump and and shout theres the bear...and the reporters would run to their cars! I guess it was hilarious! My Mom...gotta lover her!

Old 07-31-2008, 12:29 PM

659 posts, read 204,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
My brother lives right next door to Teds place in Girdwood. The media has been in front of his house for a week taking pictures. I think it was ADN reporter stated something about his full basemant. he has no basement in that house. Anyway...my Mom was up there the other day, and sent my 2 nieces over to Teds to eat sandwhiches and bask in the sun on his deck. She told them to get in all the pictures! And the reporters would play hell trying to get one without them in it. Then...they have lot's of bears in town this year...so the girls would jump and and shout theres the bear...and the reporters would run to their cars! I guess it was hilarious! My Mom...gotta lover her!

LMAO on this one! That is hilarious! Some city slicker from NY probably wet his pants hearing "BEAR"

I have a huge furry bear suit if anyone up there would like to borrow it.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:58 PM

Floyd ......you no doubt lost poor old CS

Thats way over his head

Old 07-31-2008, 01:08 PM

Floyd.....Thanks for the history lesson and I'm not Mr Draper

But....now I know a bit about him...he has some great accomplishments I see and yes, it appears he still with us

Kinda looks like he could easily be an Alaskan...!

John Draper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r239/ODforums/JohnDraper.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-31-2008, 01:20 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,839,048 times
nice timing

Old 07-31-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
Kinda looks like he could easily be an Alaskan...!
He looks like a typical technical employee of a long distance telephone company (and incidentally, so do I...).

The Wikipedia article is fairly good, but this particular statement
is false and should be corrected:

Quote:
The expense of sustaining the unbilled phone calls, the redesign of the line protocols and the accelerated equipment replacement due to the blue box is difficult to calculate, or even to separate from something as complex and dynamic as the telephone long-distance network, but it is generally acknowledged to be a huge sum.
It is, as they hint, difficult to ascribe that to the Bluebox of Mr. Draper. And regardless, to whatever extent he caused it or not, it did not cost the Bell System a huge sum, but rather resulted in the generation millions of dollars over the following decades.

The system that existed in the 1960's when Draper was exploring the Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) originated with analog (mechanical) switching systems. It was replaced by something known as Common Channel Interoffice Signaling System (CCIS), which is currently implemented as Signaling System 7 (SS7), or the 7th version of CCIS.

The previous system (used up until the 1970's) tied up interoffice trunks while a long distance call was being set up, thus losing any ability to generate revenue with that trunk during call setup time. The CCIS system, however, doesn't actually connect a link between two telephones until both parties are offhook. Non-revenue generating time between calls for high usage trunks went from many seconds to milliseconds! That's money in the bank.

What Draper did made good newspaper copy because it was fascinating, but what brought on changes to the telephone system wasn't concern about Bluebox fraud so much as it was how to make more money from better trunk utilization.

On the topic of making LD calls that are not recorded or billed, there is (for Alaskans) an even more hilarious tale! Until SS7 was put into effect in the early 1990's each long distance call was recorded by exactly one and only one toll switch, and the company that owned it was required to share their data with other companies if a call connected to them. That way if Alascom, for example, recorded a call that originated in Anchorage and terminated in Seattle, Alascom would provide AT&T with call data to let them know how much time their trunk was used, so that they could bill Alascom for it. Sounds workable, eh?

Except Alascom itself (from its in house PBX's) had their own private trunks into their toll switching system, and they did not record any call data for those trunks (an "oversight" that was illegal). Hence if you worked for a major company in Alaska that had a PBX, your long distance trunks would have toll charges and AT&T would get paid if you called Seattle. Alascom's trunks did not, and we could call anywhere in the world and use anybody's trunks, and never get a bill.

I was one of the first people in Alaska to access the Internet (and probably the first Alaskan posting to Usenet). I was using a dialup modem on an Alascom PBX line and called Chicago almost every morning.

Then they put in SS7, and the data was automatically passed to everyone. Alascom had to record it because no data on an LD call was a big red flag. (And management literally came unglued when they saw the long distance bills that a typical toll testboard could generate each month.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska