U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 09:10 AM

3,721 posts, read 3,027,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The pay is higher in AK than many other states but it's for a reason: if you want to live a typical modern lifestyle, your expenses will be high. If you want to grow/supply all your own food, cut wood for heat, etc., that's another matter, but from the sounds of it you aren't that type of person. BTW, since you're British, what's your stance on guns? AK is the wrong state for an anti-gun Brit to move to IMHO. Some common British attitudes would be best left in Britain.
Sounds like you need to leave Alaska and see other places and people. You seem ignorant about a lot things and rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 09:36 AM

15,778 posts, read 20,095,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
Sounds like you need to leave Alaska and see other places and people. You seem ignorant about a lot things and rude.
Hmm, follow the British Expats link earlier on this thread (interesting site BTW) and I think it's yet more evidence of my statements. Check out the "guns, glorious guns" thread there. Then I found a thread about some Brit wanting to move to Canada upset over people hunting there, and one person's insistence people are not part of the environment/shouldn't hunt/farmers shouldn't kill pests/etc. Must of learned from PETA or an imitator. Lots of the attitudes I was referring to. Those sorts are ignorant and try to force their ignorant views on others. Doesn't make a difference though, as it appears the OP is not that sort, and should be just fine. To the original poster: I think a government job may be difficult to get, you could probably get a job with the oil companies though, or a shipping company maybe.

I'm actually in VT right now Raggy dee Ann. I was in AK some months ago hunting down land, but didn't have the finances to make the move yet (nor would moving up in the middle of winter be wise when there isn't even a cabin on the land yet). As far as me being rude, no, just blunt. It's a bit of a New England thing, blunt and honest. No fake "Southern hospitality" or things like that.

I've not been to England myself but I've met many British people here. Some were pretty good people and not at all the type of person I described, but several were. And I plan to never step foot again in Quebec, Canada, either (though other parts of Canada are just fine). You want rudeness, go meet some anti-American French-Canadians, not that they're all like that of course but wow is all I could say about that experience...

Old 08-01-2008, 10:46 AM

3,721 posts, read 3,027,427 times
I already have a picture in my head of you. Kinda guy that shoots for the thrill. Enjoys nothing better than spending hours on end in the woods looking for prey. If you spent more time with well adjusted people you would realise that there are just certain things you don't say while in the company of others. I don't call your retort blunt, more stupid and ignorant.

BTW, your new life in Alaska sounds wonderful...nothing better than being in the wide open spaces amongst nature, although I prefer not to shoot them.

Good luck!

Old 08-01-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
I already have a picture in my head of you. Kinda guy that shoots for the thrill. Enjoys nothing better than spending hours on end in the woods looking for prey. If you spent more time with well adjusted people you would realise that there are just certain things you don't say while in the company of others. I don't call your retort blunt, more stupid and ignorant.
Huh? The time I spend scouting out animals for meat or whatever, is very little out of the time I spend there. I don't get a "thrill" out of shooting animals but there is a lot of satisfaction out of getting that meat. I do target shoot for fun but the cost of that (ammo) eats at the fun. I mostly now just practice enough to stay in practice, so I get a clean kill when I do go hunting...

I won't comment on the rest of what you said.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:46 AM

5,347 posts, read 15,051,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgom View Post
Since my work experience is concentrating on Transprot Planning I was thinking more of job opportunities working for the state/government. Do you know if that is possible? Apart from private companies would it be possible to have a state agency sponsor visa for a foreign national? Based on your experience do you think it's common or rare to see people being sponsored to come and work/live in Alaska?

Regards,

KG
From my experience, I don't think it's likely at the state level. The main reason would be similar experience in Alaskan working conditions. First, people who live and work in Alaska would have the first shot, mainly because of jobs for Alaskans first, but also because they have experience of the conditions here. Next would come job seekers from the lower 48 who have similar experience to conditions here. Lastly would be specialty experience, say you had experience in some, new to the state, form of transportation that the state wanted to pursue. Your best bet would be to get a position in private industry here and then move to a state position if that is your goal.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:22 PM

6 posts, read 66,071 times
Quote:
Hmm, follow the British Expats link earlier on this thread (interesting site BTW) and I think it's yet more evidence of my statements. Check out the "guns, glorious guns" thread there. Then I found a thread about some Brit wanting to move to Canada upset over people hunting there, and one person's insistence people are not part of the environment/shouldn't hunt/farmers shouldn't kill pests/etc. Must of learned from PETA or an imitator. Lots of the attitudes I was referring to. Those sorts are ignorant and try to force their ignorant views on others. Doesn't make a difference though, as it appears the OP is not that sort, and should be just fine. To the original poster: I think a government job may be difficult to get, you could probably get a job with the oil companies though, or a shipping company maybe.

I'm actually in VT right now Raggy dee Ann. I was in AK some months ago hunting down land, but didn't have the finances to make the move yet (nor would moving up in the middle of winter be wise when there isn't even a cabin on the land yet). As far as me being rude, no, just blunt. It's a bit of a New England thing, blunt and honest. No fake "Southern hospitality" or things like that.

I've not been to England myself but I've met many British people here. Some were pretty good people and not at all the type of person I described, but several were. And I plan to never step foot again in Quebec, Canada, either (though other parts of Canada are just fine). You want rudeness, go meet some anti-American French-Canadians, not that they're all like that of course but wow is all I could say about that experience...

Lets hope other nations dont judge Americans based on internet forums ...

Dont confuse direct, honest and frankness with rudeness, there is a difference.

To quote you earlier when the OP originally posted your response:

"The pay is higher in AK than many other states but it's for a reason: if you want to live a typical modern lifestyle, your expenses will be high. If you want to grow/supply all your own food, cut wood for heat, etc., that's another matter, but from the sounds of it you aren't that type of person"

The last line for me shows you to be quite assumptive - that was not an enquiry it was a judgement

Old 08-01-2008, 02:41 PM

4,137 posts, read 7,555,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoat45 View Post

"The pay is higher in AK than many other states but it's for a reason: if you want to live a typical modern lifestyle, your expenses will be high. If you want to grow/supply all your own food, cut wood for heat, etc., that's another matter, but from the sounds of it you aren't that type of person"

The last line for me shows you to be quite assumptive - that was not an enquiry it was a judgement
Hear, hear! Excellent post and I quite agree.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoat45 View Post

Doing what I stated to live self-sufficiently is a full time job, and a person doing so in a big way wouldn't be after a full time/relatively high paying job as the OP unless it was needed due to taxes or health care issues or something of that sort. It wasn't a big assumption that the OP wasn't quite after that extreme level of self-sufficiency like some crazy people like myself are.

And okay, I'll also take into account the laws, polls, first hand experiences with people, etc. Oops, I already did that...Was anything I stated about Britain incorrect?

Old 08-01-2008, 04:49 PM

7,088 posts, read 12,084,457 times
Quote:
Was anything I stated about Britain incorrect?
Uncertain at this juncture, I've only spent a few days in London, ergo, can not profess to be expert on British Culture, mores, or Politics. One thing I have learned over the years, in numerous countries, on several continents,... I can not judge any person by their country of origin, tis called "bigotry" a less formal term would be "prejudice" , nasty stuff that prejudice, the "judice" part of the word means "judgement" the inference is "judging before one has any/all available evidence." Also in your post you state "Southern Hospitality" to be a falsehood, another of your prejudices, OK so you don't like the British, or Southerners, makes me wonder how many other groups don't stack up to your preconcieved biases.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Uncertain at this juncture, I've only spent a few days in London, ergo, can not profess to be expert on British Culture, mores, or Politics. One thing I have learned over the years, in numerous countries, on several continents,... I can not judge any person by their country of origin, tis called "bigotry" a less formal term would be "prejudice" , nasty stuff that prejudice, the "judice" part of the word means "judgement" the inference is "judging before one has any/all available evidence." Also in your post you state "Southern Hospitality" to be a falsehood, another of your prejudices, OK so you don't like the British, or Southerners, makes me wonder how many other groups don't stack up to your preconcieved biases.
There are always exceptions as I implied in my post. I don't dislike the British really. But to say Britain isn't quite an anti-gun place would be hard, and to say that's not the result of popular opinion would also be hard. I made my statements earlier because I take my rights quite seriously and while I welcome immigrants who will also appreciate the freedoms here (and I know some, I'm still good friends with a few people I met in college who are immigrants, one English, one Argentine, one Ukrainian) and who don't try to force their views on us. However, as far as I'm concerned, those who would come and, for example, get behind the anti-gun movement or something else dangerous to liberty, they're not welcomed by me. I've met some of them, a couple of whom are quite active politically, in bad ways, trying to take away our rights. I wish they'd never come here, and that's my honest opinion. They're always (or at least were last time I saw them, I avoid them when I can) whining about America and wanting it to be like where they're from.

As for "Southern hospitality," I have nothing against Southerners (half my family is in the South, and some of my ancestors fought for the Confederacy, but I could never take the hot weather for long) but I've seen where people have been quite "polite" and all to people's faces as "Southern hospitality" while talking about them behind their backs. I'd prefer blunt honesty (which some would take as rude) over fake hospitality anyday. If it were genuine that's another matter but it's all too often not. The common statement by Southerners I've heard is that New Englanders (like myself) are cold and unfriendly/rude. We ain't, we (speaking for myself and those I know) just don't pretend to be friends with total strangers we don't know yet or those we dislike.

Now back on topic, as I said in an earlier post, I think the original poster would be quite fine here. But as I (and another) mentioned, look at jobs with private companies for now not government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska