Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe Polar Bears are endangered?
Yes 24 48.00%
No 23 46.00%
Don't know 3 6.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 07:17 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,472,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Then you of course can find an equal number of credible biologists that have done field work on the North Slope that disagree??? No, in fact you can't. As I specified (not quoted), they all agree.

And of course the biologists that I did quote (Ray Cameron being the ringer with his name up front) do happen to be the most highly respected caribou biologists in Alaska. You probably should check out who you are claiming is not correct before making a fool of yourself again.

The biologists that you quote are almost all there at the request of someone that has an angle and forks out large amounts of money in the forms of Grants to say what they want. When something is "Normal", nobody is interested in forking out that kind of money to prove nothing is wrong... As the saying goes, follow the money...

Old 08-07-2008, 07:23 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,160,069 times
Man, I can't believe this thread is still going. We must be in extra inings with this one. Maybe the 15th?

Just kidding all...carry on.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Hot damned, man... you actually know somebody that worked on the DEWLINE. That's kool! (Pardon me, while I giggle and laugh...)

Ask your buddy what is at "1000 Godawful Way, Oliktok Alaska", and if he knows, then he's genuine. (And try finding that in a newspaper article!)
What part of Alaska do you claim to be in? Had you paid any attention to my posts/photos instead of your ranting, you would grasp that I am about a quarter of a mile from the Dew Line site at Oliktok and that is the photo I posted of the boat in the foreground. For someone that claims to live in Barrow, you don't know the topography very well....

Quote:
You, sir, are clueless. You cannot come up with even one short phrase from that entire article that is the same as anything elsewhere.
You have confused me with someone whom cares about your ranting, I do find it entertaining because you are pretty much lost in your own world, where ever it is at.

A day or two ago you claimed the ice came and went in Barrow, to entertain you, here is a short clip that was in the Anchorage Daily News yesterday morning...

Word count: 314

A ship hired by oil companies to study Canadian waters for potential drilling made an unexpected stop Tuesday afternoon when it and two support vessels found themselves temporarily stuck in sea ice near Barrow, according to the U.S. Coast Guard. A tug reported the three vessels became trapped roughly 60 miles north of Point Barrow at about 3 p.m., said a Coast Guard spokesman.

Seems there is some ice left after all...

Old 08-07-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
That you can't even be relied upon to honestly count caribou!

There are usually two different census counts done every year,
and they do not come up with "thousands". Are you telling
me you are right and the ADF&G, using aerial photography, is wrong?

OK you got me, there are only 999 in each group instead of Thousands at a time....

The more you rant, the goofier you get....

Old 08-07-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Bear meat is okay. Brown bears aren't worth eating though. And with polar bear it is important not to eat (or feed to your dog even) the liver, which is loaded with enough vitamin A to be fairly toxic. About a square inch of it for a snack and your skin will bleach and scale. More than that is likely to kill you.

Brown bear is just fine, I like mine smoked and canned. The State law requires hunters to salvage the meat for consumption...

You are right about the Polar Bear part though.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
Man, I can't believe this thread is still going. We must be in extra inings with this one. Maybe the 15th?

Yep, you are prob. right, I have posted enough common sense into the gears that most people don't get to see and are being misled on by the left and maybe they will keep an open mind.

And thanks to guys like Floyd_Davidson, you got to see the darkside!

Enjoyed the "Event"

Thanks for all the positive IM's and posts!

Old 08-07-2008, 09:14 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,505,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Well you are right, but just barely....

This last year they killed a charging polar bear in Ft. Yukon on the Yukon river just north of Fairbanks and he was well fed... That is about a stones throw North of you and five hundred miles south of where they aren't suppose to be... Seems they don't just like the water anymore and are pretty adaptable. When they swim in from the ocean, they roll in the mud to make themselves look brown, then they can sneak up on Caribou, pretty smart verses people wearing florescent orange!
See, that's the thing. When you start taking away the habitat of animals, they either die off or they adapt & it's the adapting that causes problems...not just for humans but for the animals as well. They become more used to humans by foraging, etc., you see this often w/black & brown bears as well & also coyotes. So it becomes a case of man vs. animal...quite frankly, I feel sorry for these animals. It's their habitat that they were in first & humans are encroaching upon it. Then humans blame the wild animals for what they do upon instinct. It's not right, it's greedy & selfish & there has to be a way to live harmoniously w/animals w/out killing them off.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:51 PM

20,243 posts, read 36,884,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
See, that's the thing. When you start taking away the habitat of animals, they either die off or they adapt & it's the adapting that causes problems...not just for humans but for the animals as well. They become more used to humans by foraging, etc., you see this often w/black & brown bears as well & also coyotes. So it becomes a case of man vs. animal...quite frankly, I feel sorry for these animals. It's their habitat that they were in first & humans are encroaching upon it. Then humans blame the wild animals for what they do upon instinct. It's not right, it's greedy & selfish & there has to be a way to live harmoniously w/animals w/out killing them off.
That's so ridiculous Adapting is solving a problem; simple as that. That's possibly how brown bears adapted and turned into polar bears (at least that's the theory scientists have come up with, which sounds much like natural selection. If it was animal against people (or the other way around) all the caribou, moose, bears, deer, and everything else in Alaska would have been exterminated long ago.

Don't you realize that every day you are taking the habitat of some animal, or killing something here and there not only to survive?

-We step on bugs when we walk
-We not only eradicate but kill body mites when we take showers
-We kill ourselves
-We cut trees, grass
-We burn, smoke plants, chew plants, and eat them too.....

Again, bears are not any more endangered than humans are. As the most intelligent creature, we humans are on the top of the chain, and as such "Alaska humans" have no intentions of eradicating nor exterminating polar bears nor any other species.

Last edited by RayinAK; 08-07-2008 at 10:03 PM..

Old 08-07-2008, 09:57 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,505,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
That's so ridiculous Don't you realize that every day you are taking the habitat of some animal, or killing something here and there not only to survive?

-We step on bugs when we walk
-We not only eradicate but kill body mites when we take showers
-We kill ourselves
-We cut trees, grass
-We burn, smoke plants, chew plants, and eat them too.....

Again, bears are not any more endangered than humans are. As the most intelligent creature, we humans are on the top of the chain, and as such "Alaska humans" have no intentions of eradicating nor exterminating polar bears nor any other life species.
Well no, I don't think that's the intention of most people. However, when you decide to build your house in that new subdivision, or plow down those acres of trees for lumber or get rid of that swamp for a stripmall, that's exactly what happens. Most people don't think about that. But I think you already are aware of that.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:36 PM

20,243 posts, read 36,884,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Well no, I don't think that's the intention of most people. However, when you decide to build your house in that new subdivision, or plow down those acres of trees for lumber or get rid of that swamp for a stripmall, that's exactly what happens. Most people don't think about that. But I think you already are aware of that.
Well, I would agree with you in relation to such things in the cities and towns, but out in the areas we have been talking about the polar bears still have a huge land/ice mass to move around,with no people nor towns in sight.

Nobody in Alaska want to exterminate the polar bears, wolves, etc. In fact, it's illegal to hunt polar bears, so hunters from around the world go to Canada. However, that sort of business is highly regulated in Canada. According to an article I read recently, polar bear hunting in Canada brings from $1.7 to $2.3 million into Native communities each year, which provides a big incentive to conserve bears, thus all the rules imposed by the Canadians. It's much like a trapper: if the trapper wants to trap to make a living at it, he does selective trapping, taking the pressure from one area to allow it to rebound. He or she does not want to trap everything in one year and no have more animals to trap the following years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska