U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 04:13 PM

104 posts, read 326,748 times
I couldn't see myself living someplace where I'm not at the top of the food chain. What do you guys do, walk around with an elephant gun strapped to your back in case a grizzly decides it wants to eat you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 04:22 PM

410 posts, read 623,655 times
That S&W .500 is out of my control range. I know my .45's like the back of my hand. Still, I'm rethinking and heading over to check out a couple of different .44 Mag Revolvers.

I'm narrowing it down to the 3 or 4 inch models. The 6 inch is gonna be to slow coming out quick. Again, only for a back up and emergency situation. I'm going to have to work my forearms and wrist's a little more and start blowing out 50 or more rounds each morning to get used to it. Even muffed and plugged that's gonna ring my left over bells. My 2 inch M29 is not the ticket.

Trying out the Ruger, S&W's, Colt. Never held a Taurus and know only what is printed.

Wife gets a Win 870 Nitro, I've got one in mind but not sure about the shoulder stock and cheek piece. Might be too many corners and edges for the bush. Take the fancy sight off. Modify the gun a little bit, it may work for her.
Attached Thumbnails
Another bear attack within two weeks-cqcnitro.jpg  

Old 08-11-2008, 04:34 PM

4,988 posts, read 5,178,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer818 View Post
That S&W .500 is out of my control range. I know my .45's like the back of my hand. Still, I'm rethinking and heading over to check out a couple of different .44 Mag Revolvers...
You might want to look into the .460 S&W Mag. The chambering allows the flexibility of loading 454 casull and even 45 long colt for practice without pounding your hands into bloody stumps. Then just "load for bear" with full power 460's when out in the field!

Old 08-11-2008, 04:50 PM

104 posts, read 326,748 times
Firing an Elephant Gun

Do you think one of these would work?

Old 08-11-2008, 04:50 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,018,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer818 View Post
My 2 inch M29 is not the ticket.
It just might be. "Carry a lot, shoot little". It is handy and light.

I also am addicted to the .45 (I think we're talking about John Moses Browning's famous weapon), and still think 7 rounds of 230 grain hardball can end any fight. But against a brownie I'm in no hurry to test that theory.

Make sure for her 870 you get the full shoulder stock. Much more control.
And maintain proper garbage discipline at your house. No sense inviting them to a free buffet. Ketch is crawling with black bears. They're thick as ticks there.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:02 PM

4,988 posts, read 5,178,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian21 View Post
I couldn't see myself living someplace where I'm not at the top of the food chain. What do you guys do, walk around with an elephant gun strapped to your back in case a grizzly decides it wants to eat you?
Bear attacks get all the headlines, but as with so many other things in life, the risks are relative. You’re probably 1000 times at more risk of getting killed in traffic on the way to any given destination, than mauled by a bear once there. Still, precautions are always prudent, just like other parts of the country that need to worry about other forms of dangerous wildlife as well, such as rattle snakes, alligators, etc.

Having said all that, at least Alaskan’s firearms rights are still largely intact, unlike most of the lower 48, allowing citizens the ability to pretty much carry what they want, whenever and wherever they feel necessary (within certain limits of course).

Old 08-11-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Photographer View Post
You might want to look into the .460 S&W Mag. The chambering allows the flexibility of loading 454 casull and even 45 long colt for practice without pounding your hands into bloody stumps. Then just "load for bear" with full power 460's when out in the field!
Thanks, but my 870 Nitro will be the first one I reach for. Just don't have any good recovery on them hand cannons. I know one well placed round would do it, but I'm shooting til he drops dead and he'd better be dead at 15ft. Short tubed .44 Mag Magna Ported and good grips, loaded up heavy still hurts after a quick six. Don't mean to sound arrogant, I learned to shoot my .45's and .44 with no sights. Up close they just get in the way, another thing to focus on. Never snagged coming out either.

I'm still thinking over a couple of the 3 or 4 inch .44 Mag models and going to fire a couple. We'll see how they feel.

I'll do what it takes to avoid an encounter. Been in Black bear country enough to know how to. I carry a Coaches whistle. Brown and Grizz country? Pucker factor at 10 till I learn em. Dog's at my side, slung 870 Nitro with slugs.

I've always found that being prepared helps to avoid loosing yer cool and doing something stupid, ending up dead and for dinner. Realizing that I'm in the bear's backyard helps too.

The list, the dang list. Every time I check it, I find I've left something out.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:58 PM

14,242 posts, read 12,595,833 times
Quote:
You'd be surprised, you're not necessarily at the top in the lower 48. Know what mountain lions can do?

Old 08-11-2008, 06:09 PM

4,165 posts, read 5,659,672 times
Quote:
No, I hike around constantly aware of my surroundings, with a pistol at my side, bells on my shillelagh for added noise...and a hell of a lot of respect for Nature as she deserves.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
It just might be. "Carry a lot, shoot little". It is handy and light.

I also am addicted to the .45 (I think we're talking about John Moses Browning's famous weapon), and still think 7 rounds of 230 grain hardball can end any fight. But against a brownie I'm in no hurry to test that theory.

Make sure for her 870 you get the full shoulder stock. Much more control.
And maintain proper garbage discipline at your house. No sense inviting them to a free buffet. Ketch is crawling with black bears. They're thick as ticks there.
Yes that be the one. Addicted is putting it lightly. I however, put one up the tube, **** it and lock it, holster it out the door. And in 41 years I have NEVER had an ACCIDENTAL DISCHARGE with any firearm. They were all intentional and well placed.

Wife's got a good head on her shoulders and knows how to handle her coach shotty very well. The nitro in the picture has the force absorbing stock I want to try out and see if it's worth a farthing. If not, she gets a wood stock fitted to her.

The last thing I will try and save money on is a tool that could end up saving our lives. Function and reliability over flash. Lots of practice with live rounds til it's second nature.

Crawling with Blackies. Great, I had planned on some chickens for eggs. How do mallards do up there? I do like my eggs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska