U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 09:54 PM

4,986 posts, read 8,246,685 times

Advertisements

This suject was touched on in the previous thread about the Polar Bears, but I feel this is a perfect example of the media bias that insidiously pervades our society making rational discussion of all our major public issues nearly impossible.

The article in the Anchorage Daily News references another one from the Baltimore Sun quoting a regional scientist for the National Weather Service in Alaska describing how our current cool summer is due to a shift in the weather pattern known as the Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO).

Alaska Newsreader: Alaska Newsreader | adn.com

Further more, after doing a little research of my own, it appears that many climatologists agree that we have just entered the “Cool Phase” of the PDO and we can expect below average temperatures for the next 20 to 30 years!

Ocean Surface Topography from Space-Science

What I find most interesting is that this tiny article is buried in an obscure location in the ADN and hasn’t even been reported in any other major news service that I’m aware of. I discovered it by accident and it seems to be almost like an "oh, by the way" type thing. Had the opposite conditions been in effect – i.e. a warmer than usual summer up here and scientist claiming we had just entered the warm phase of the PDO – I’d be willing to bet dollars-to-donuts this would have been headline news on every major news service in the western world!

I try very hard to not take sides in the political debate about climate change, instead wanting to just focus on the facts, but to me this seems like a blatant example of media bias, something more akin to what you would see in Pravda or in Communist China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 12:19 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,582,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Photographer View Post
This suject was touched on in the previous thread about the Polar Bears, but I feel this is a perfect example of the media bias that insidiously pervades our society making rational discussion of all our major public issues nearly impossible.

The article in the Anchorage Daily News references another one from the Baltimore Sun quoting a regional scientist for the National Weather Service in Alaska describing how our current cool summer is due to a shift in the weather pattern known as the Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO).

Alaska Newsreader: Alaska Newsreader | adn.com

Further more, after doing a little research of my own, it appears that many climatologists agree that we have just entered the “Cool Phase” of the PDO and we can expect below average temperatures for the next 20 to 30 years!

Ocean Surface Topography from Space-Science

What I find most interesting is that this tiny article is buried in an obscure location in the ADN and hasn’t even been reported in any other major news service that I’m aware of. I discovered it by accident and it seems to be almost like an "oh, by the way" type thing. Had the opposite conditions been in effect – i.e. a warmer than usual summer up here and scientist claiming we had just entered the warm phase of the PDO – I’d be willing to bet dollars-to-donuts this would have been headline news on every major news service in the western world!

I try very hard to not take sides in the political debate about climate change, instead wanting to just focus on the facts, but to me this seems like a blatant example of media bias, something more akin to what you would see in Pravda or in Communist China.
Yep, you hit the nail on the head. The so-called mainstream media cannot be trusted.....period. They have forgotten about merely reporting the news and now actively try to influence events by exaggeration, omission, misrepresentation, distortion and outright prevarication.

Global warming is just one aspect of such bias in the media. One merely has to look at their nauseating fawning over Obama if you wish to see it on a daily basis.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:48 AM

15,596 posts, read 34,410,851 times
ADN is a rag. Hardly fit for bird cage liner.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I know. I was saddened to see that an infestation of "progressive" group-think nonsense had penetrated this far north.

Oh well, newspapers natonwide are losing readership in droves and the fools still haven't figured out yet that their obvious bias is a major contributing factor.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:43 AM

7,088 posts, read 12,632,254 times
Sometimes I suspect hubris to be the cause of a lot of this mess. Mankind has not, thus far, been able to accurately predict what the weather will be tomorrow with more than a 50/50 success rate, essentially a coin toss yet now some believe they can predict on geological time frames? A geological time frame is what it took to carve out the Grand Canyon, or for the tectonic plates to move enough to give us the spacing of our planets' land masses, time segments that make millenia seem like the blink of an eye. If they can't tell me reliably that it will, or will not rain next tuesday, why should I believe they can tell me accurately what the trend will be for the next hundred years?

Old 08-13-2008, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Sometimes I suspect hubris to be the cause of a lot of this mess. Mankind has not, thus far, been able to accurately predict what the weather will be tomorrow with more than a 50/50 success rate, essentially a coin toss yet now some believe they can predict on geological time frames? A geological time frame is what it took to carve out the Grand Canyon, or for the tectonic plates to move enough to give us the spacing of our planets' land masses, time segments that make millenia seem like the blink of an eye. If they can't tell me reliably that it will, or will not rain next tuesday, why should I believe they can tell me accurately what the trend will be for the next hundred years?
Excellent point. But darnit, we must impose ridiculous "carbon taxes" on industry, especially the energy, which will immediately be passed on to the consumer. All in order to fight a nonexistent problem with useless remedies.

Honestly, I came to the conclusion after watching Starship Troopers again last night because it's excellent cheesy entertainment to fall asleep to (even though Heinlein's book was very good), stupid people just shouldn't be allowed to vote. If you can't name the three branches of government or at least 2 Supreme Court justices, well, tough poo.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:17 AM

4,986 posts, read 8,246,685 times
What I really find fascinating is what is found in the second article above from JPL. According to them, the previous Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO) “warm phase” was 1977 to 1999. Sound familiar? This corresponds almost exactly to the time period that spawned the current “global warming” media hysteria. And using a little extrapolation that would put the preceding PDO “cool phase” from around 1945 or so to 1976. Again, what was happening during that time? I clearly remember the headlines in the early and mid seventies – constant media hype about global cooling and the coming ice age. Is all this just mere coincidence?

I’m really interested to watch what the trends in Arctic Sea Ice will be over the coming years, though it’s a little early to tell anything yet.

Polar Sea Ice Cap and Snow - Cryosphere Today

Until just recently, this year was on track to end up with less melt than last (though that was a record loss year so it wouldn’t have necessarily indicated a trend reversal). However I understand there was a recent warm Arctic storm that accelerated the loss.

All of this also seems to tie in nicely with what Dr. Akasofu from UAF wrote about the Artic Multi-Decadal Oscillation (ADO) and the North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO), where he seems to indicate that we are at or near the warm phase peaks of these cycles as well:

Akasofu Testimony- written (http://www.iarc.uaf.edu/news/news_shorts/akasofu_4_26_06/written_testimony.php - broken link)

So I guess we’ll just have to wait and see…

Old 08-13-2008, 10:19 AM

11,836 posts, read 24,871,538 times
I was watching the BBC this morning & they were talking about the "bears" of Alaska being the new tree hugger cause celebre.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:20 PM

286 posts, read 1,005,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post

Well, you can wrap fish heads in it, no?

Old 08-13-2008, 12:35 PM

286 posts, read 1,005,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Dusty, respectfully, weather and climatology are two different things. One coarse example. If there were a major volcanic eruption somewhere today, they would be correct in telling us that it would be cooler for the next couple of years, but they still wouldn't be right about tomorrows weather.

Weather prediction is a computation problem for which the data need a much finer scale for the result to be accurate. Not enough weather stations. Not enough good data in. Not enough computing power. Banks and banks of Crays aren't adequate.

My theory is that weather people are really historians.

(just joking weather people, you do all right, and you are getting better all the time)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska