Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 07:34 AM

4,361 posts, read 6,528,616 times

Advertisements

I do NOT compare the two guys, Les and Bear nor thier shows. Les Stroud is the comlete player here and Bear is the entertainer. I believe that the average viewer may not be able to tell the difference but most of us that are observant will in deed see the difference.

Les does an amazing job - considering what he goes through, carrying all the camera equiptment, setting up the shots - re-doing everything to ensure it's been caught on camera. Many of the envronments he's gone through are hardly camera friendly, it's amazing that he gets what he does out there.

Bear on the other hand has a camera crew at all times, is never alone AND doesn't even "rough it" like Les does. Grylls is even "stupid" in my eyes for the idiotic things he does to prove he's man enough and demonstrate his Survivor Skills. Basically I don't think he holds a candle to Les Stroud.

Les in each week actually does challenge the dangers of existing out in the wilderness. Bear, well he's enteraining you. Why else do that Jump out of the airplane every time? It's not like the camera crew is doing it too. Just plain dumb.

Les Stroud demonstrates true survival skills, produces and films his show and teaches everyone something. His job is so tough he can't keep up the same sort of production schedule that Bear and his producers do.

None of Grylls demonstrations do any good to anyone actually caught out where he's claiming he is. His actions will likely get someone killed or badly hurt. On the other hand Les Stroud can lay claim to educating to the point where he could actually have an effect on someone finding themselve caught in a survival situtation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 08:18 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times
I love Les... he shows that survival can really suck and things don't always go the way you planned. When he screws up - like sticking his face in the huge wasp holes in that canyon wall - he comes right out and says that was really stupid and he knows better. He also shows when he's not successful -- like almost starving in AK and having to eat that 4-day old eagle-kill fish, setting his shelter on fire... etc! Les approaches things from a perspective of "don't get yourself killed".

Bear is an annoying tit. The only thing entertaining about his show is when he screws up... like trying to steal honey from a bee hive wedged in a rock face in Death Valley. Has the dude never heard of the africanized "killer" bee problem?! So they sting his face, he has to get his camera man to pull the stinger out of his forehead, and he spends the rest of the show with his face puffed up like a sumo wrestler whining about anaphylactic shock. PRICELESS! But he never once said that poking at bees/wasps in the wilderness is really a bad idea in a survival situation. Bear comes from a perspective of "let's be cool in the wild". It's the whole famous last words of the Darwin Award Winners "Dude, check this out!"

Old 08-14-2008, 08:32 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
I watched his show the other night where he was in the Chugach mountains. The moron climbed down a waterfall all slippery with moss...when clearly in the background he could have walked down a much easier course. Climbing in that cold water would make a man's limbs numb in an instant and should have led to his untimely death.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:35 AM

When hubby and I were watching the "Alaska Experiment" show, we kept asking ourselves..."Why don't these people split up and get more done?" It so doesn't take 3 people to cut wood, or two people to go get water! These people had no sense of urgency and timing... dinking around cutting a retardedly large amount of firewood until the salmon stopped running and they had no protein. DUH!! They only crew I felt the least bit of sympathy for was the couple stuck in the wall tent on the coast... they at least tried to build a cache and traps, etc. Of course, they didn't realize that you can reprocess cans that didn't seal the first time, so they ran out of protein.

I think for intelligent people, shows like this illustrate what NOT to do, and what things you need to research and getting training on if you decide to go. Unfortunately, you have to wonder how many intelligent people there are in the world, ya know?!

Old 08-14-2008, 08:59 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
When hubby and I were watching the "Alaska Experiment" show, we kept asking ourselves..."Why don't these people split up and get more done?" It so doesn't take 3 people to cut wood, or two people to go get water!
Too busy arguing about where to put their shoes, or who's sleeping where, or "she keeps touching me"...

Old 08-14-2008, 09:12 AM

Or crying about how hard it is, either for them or their loved one... I swear I wanted to smack that one eco-hiker chick who was constantly teary-eyed about how hard this was on her (out of shape) husband. Well, duh, lady! Did you think that living in the boonies in Alaska was going to be a cakewalk?! Should have thought of that beforehand! Funniest thing was, after all was said and done, he actually did better than most of the folks! I can understand being concerned and worried about the health and safety of your sweetie, but going all blubbery about it certainly doesn't help matters. It's a fact of life you have to deal with, so get over it!

Old 08-14-2008, 09:45 AM

7 posts, read 55,559 times
Ya, that "Ak experiment" show was so lame! Those two sisters were a real piece of work- brats- and if I had spoken to my elders the way they spoke to their dad, I would have been slapped into the next millenium! LOL!

I read where Les Stroud bought around 150 acres in bush Canada recently and is totally setting up his place off-grid. Good for him!

Old 08-14-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing Crow View Post
Ya, that "Ak experiment" show was so lame! Those two sisters were a real piece of work- brats- and if I had spoken to my elders the way they spoke to their dad, I would have been slapped into the next millenium! LOL!
No doubt - if I'd talked to my father that way, I'd be wearing my face on the back of my head! Hell, I even wanted to slap them silly most of the time. I find it telling that they were the heaviest going in and had lost the least amount of weight by the end... because daddy kept them fed and did most of the chores, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing Crow View Post
I read where Les Stroud bought around 150 acres in bush Canada recently and is totally setting up his place off-grid. Good for him!
Yeah, I just watched his show "Off the Grid" where he and the family are working on their remote Canadian property. I wish it was a longer show (like a series) and went into more detail on things like power generation and water filtration (and costs!), but there was lots of good info in it anyway.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:12 AM

105 posts, read 478,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
Here's a site dedicated to exposing the fraudulant show "Man vs Wild" sponsored by the Discovery Channel.

Main Page - BearWiki

Now, I for one like adventure just like anyone, but The Discovery Channel, with all these "Alaska" shows, which are heavily sponsored by the cruise industry, are actually hurting Alaskans more than helping.
It seems we are now a theme park, a protected place filled with little yogi's and boo-boo's just waiting to be petted and photographed.
Now get this straight. I'm NOT bashing tourists and visitors.
I'm just a little tired of all the people, full of dreams and good intentions, showing up in the new "land of milk and honey" looking for that dream job on a crab boat or that wonderful cabin in the wild, totally clueless and un prepared for the reality facing them.I'm starting to ramble a bit, but I think my point is clear....I hope...
*Sigh* What about all those times that crazy Brit jumped into freezing water? Treading water in a frozen lake and then pulling himself out(I've seen him do this at least 5 or 6 times). I'm sure those were all staged too. Wow, someone saw him wearing a harness while going down a 200 ft waterfall. If you've ever done any climbing you'd know that's the only smart way to go down a 200 ft cliff. Especially if it's a waterfall with wet rocks.

Are the animals most likely staged? Yeah, probably. Do I give a damn? No.
Man vs Wild is a good show. I can't ever recall another show where I saw a guy jump into frozen lakes, parachute out of a helicopter onto a mountain or ride a log down whitewater rapids. If you want to bash that stupid crabbing show go right ahead. Its horrible and I don't know how it stays on the air. I love the Brit's show though and I hope it stays on the air for a long while.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian21 View Post
I can't ever recall another show where I saw a guy jump into frozen lakes, parachute out of a helicopter onto a mountain or ride a log down whitewater rapids.
Ummmm, that's probably because it a really friggin' good way to kill yourself

If they marketed it as an adventure show, then I don't think it would raise as many complaints; but since they market it as a survival show, the guy is doing everything wrong. #1 rule of survival is not to do anything so stupid that you get yourself killed... which includes doing dangerous crap when you don't absolutely have to.

Is Bear's show good for entertainment and adventure? Sure... especially if you appreciate irony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska