U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-30-2007, 03:51 PM

669 posts, read 2,287,047 times

Advertisements

I know I'm not the brightest bulb but what's the climate in Alaska exactly? It's truly dark like night for 6 months, then constant daylight for 6 months? I think that's what I heard but I just find it so odd to think of people living in that. Can anyone shed some light?

BTW, according to the graphs here, it's not even THAT cold, I mean, there are colder places. Going by Anchorage here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 11:25 PM

3,774 posts, read 7,627,108 times
It depends on where in Alaska you're at. Today in Anchorage, it was 40 outside. Noplace is dark for six months. Having said that, the sun sets up in Barrow or Prudhoe in November and just rose again around the 16th of this month. They have 86 or so days of darkness, and in summer have an equivalent of 90 or so days, and nights of sunlight.

The state is so large that it extends the distance, north to south, of Florida to Wisconsin, and east to west from Florida to mid-Nevada (at least!) Climate and weather are different in areas as close as 100 miles. Anchorage could be in the 20's and Fairbanks can be -60. Fairbanks goes up to the 90's in summer, and in Anchorage, we're hard pressed to reach 80. Barrow might get up to 60 (on a REAL good day).

Here in Anchorage, our shortest day has about 5 hours of daylight, and on June 21st, we have about 19 hours. Anchorage in winter can and has gone into the minus 20's and 30's, but on the average, we stay in the teens to twenty's. A chinook like this week's can raise temps to the 50's in mid-winter. It all depends. Remember, it takes 16 hours of driving to get from Anchorage to Deadhorse. Add 5 hours to get from Homer. That's north to south in the main body of the state, but doesn't count the panhandle. Ketchikan is closer to Seattle than it is to Anchorage by about 2 hours of flying time. BIG state.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:18 AM

669 posts, read 2,287,047 times
Sounds awesome. Sounds like perfect kind of winter, and all that! Alaska looks like a neat place.

It has extremely low taxes from what I can tell. Is that a nice perk?

Old 01-31-2007, 07:28 AM

3,774 posts, read 7,627,108 times
Yes and no. Cost of living is about 25% higher than outside, due to the requirement of flying or shipping in everything. It's even higher in the bush.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:20 AM

2,739 posts, read 5,552,804 times
Relatively speaking, it does not get really cold anywhere in south-eastern Alaska, or along the south-central coast near the ocean. For example, right now it's Feb 5th and about 25 degrees here in Seward. (that would be ABOVE zero, not below!) So, from the SE panhandle to the tip of the Kenai Peninsula is what I call the "banana belt". The cold weather starts when you move north or inland...it's probably 25 below as I write this up north somewhere. Even just driving from here to Anchorage the temperature will drop by 10 degrees this time of year. Try doing a Google search of "weather" followed by whatever city in Alaska....you'll find a wide variation in temps.
The 6 months of dark followed by 6 months of light you've heard about is not like a flip of a switch, and bingo: it's light all the time. It's a very gradual change, slowly, day by day. In December I'll drive to work in the dark, and then drive back home in the dark, because there's only like 6 hours of sunlight. But in June it doesn't get really dark at all...the sun will set like midnight, and then be back up at 3 in the morning! I don't care for the long hours of darkness, but I do like the summer light. Hope this helps. Picture is of Seward, on tip of Kenai Peninsula, with Ressurrection Bay in foreground, and Mt Marathon in back of city. Nice in the summer, but lots of rain in Sept-Oct. Hope this helps.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/KL7EU/Seward.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-05-2007, 11:45 AM

98 posts, read 317,190 times
From westernmost island to easternmost point, Alaska stretches as far as San Francisco to Jacksonville, FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska