Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2008, 08:18 AM

25 posts, read 61,919 times

Advertisements

So....why is all of this arguing being done out in the open? If you people have issue with one another, why not just do it in private? I am suprised that nobody has locked this thread yet. I came to this post looking for an answer to what I thought was a great topic being that I am hoping to become an "Alaskan" sometime in the near future, and now I am being subjected to all of this bickering because one person had issue with something that they felt was an insult. So far, my impression of everyone on this forum has been pretty favorable and I honestly would love to keep it that way. I will say this, I envy all of you who are already in Alaska or who have gotten a chance to experience it. I mean, I love Michigan and all, but I am one of the people that once winter rolls around and we get a foot of snow overnight, I will stand at the door and say "that's it?" I just cannot WAIT to get my chance to move there and I honestly would love to get to know all of you in person at the next CD get-together. So please, lets be civil with one another again and let sleeping dogs lie. Can we hug and be friends again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 08:44 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncwest View Post
So....why is all of this arguing being done out in the open? If you people have issue with one another, why not just do it in private? I am suprised that nobody has locked this thread yet. I came to this post looking for an answer to what I thought was a great topic being that I am hoping to become an "Alaskan" sometime in the near future, and now I am being subjected to all of this bickering because one person had issue with something that they felt was an insult. So far, my impression of everyone on this forum has been pretty favorable and I honestly would love to keep it that way. I will say this, I envy all of you who are already in Alaska or who have gotten a chance to experience it. I mean, I love Michigan and all, but I am one of the people that once winter rolls around and we get a foot of snow overnight, I will stand at the door and say "that's it?" I just cannot WAIT to get my chance to move there and I honestly would love to get to know all of you in person at the next CD get-together. So please, lets be civil with one another again and let sleeping dogs lie. Can we hug and be friends again?

People disagree, that's the way it is. This entire post was regarding people calling themselves "Alaskans." Actually you will be a Michiganite "living" in Alaska should you move here. The forums on Alaska have lots of answers for you, just poke around.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
I'm sorry I never meant this post to cause conflict. I do know from talking with Met in the Forums she's still got some Alaskan in her . And it doesn't matter, we are ALL people regardless where we come from. But it is true that when newcomers "immediately" call themselves an Alaskan, it is somewhat phoney. Not bashing anyone here. I've never felt the need to broadcast to anyone that I'm an Alaskan. I love Alaska, but by birth I am an Ohioan also and proudly admit that. Sometimes it appears that by calling so much attention to the "calling one self an Alaskan" that there is something to prove. There is nothing to prove; it makes none of us any better then anyone from any of the lower 48 States. Yeah some of the Lower 48 States really suck, however, no place is perfect. I've seen the crime grow up here and the influx of people to the point it makes me really sad. And I say influx of people because it is changing the face of Alaska.

Just my last few days of work there was ongoing chatter about what born in Alaska folks considered true Alaskans. And, Met, I know what you mean about your tea set but it takes a woman to understand those things; seems men don't get sentimental over keep-sakes. I know my husband sure doesn't.
I understand that people disagree, but even you have shown concern that this topic is getting out of hand. I'm just saying that we should all get along. Sorry if my "lets not argue with each other" attitude is unwelcome, just trying to keep the peace.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:06 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
But then again I also have a husband who stuck around to raise this family with me. I have alot more love in my house with a big family, more love than you would ever know.
This is a pretty tacky little thing to say but then I would expect nothing less from you.

I don't have to justify my son's father to the likes of you. He was a pretty great guy though.

Quote:
So....why is all of this arguing being done out in the open? If you people have issue with one another, why not just do it in private?
I can tell you why this is being done out in the open. It's because I'm sick and tired of seeing people leave this board because they've been attacked by startlite or because they are tired of seeing others be attacked by the old fool. It's time someone took stand about it.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:08 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Quote:
I understand that people disagree, but even you have shown concern that this topic is getting out of hand. I'm just saying that we should all get along. Sorry if my "lets not argue with each other" attitude is unwelcome, just trying to keep the peace.
No problem. A newcomer basically started in with someone whose been around quite a while and got nasty about it. And you are more then welcome!

Old 08-30-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Floyd fell apart because he couldn't grasp facts in photos when he saw them. The Polar Bears, Caribou and the like are doing just fine in Alaska and he couldn't handle that fact.... If he threw a tantrum and left, so be it, I am willing to discuss anything about Alaska with anyone, but I won't be swayed with information that is agenda driven, and not totally factual.
Actually, I think it's probably that he simply got fed up with your droning, and realized what a delusional old jerk you are. At least he was able to hold up his end of that "conversation" without trying to allege that you live on the east coast.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:19 AM

I love Alaska.

Pat, I will be a Michigander "living" in Alaska. And yes, I would like to slap whoever decided that Michigander sounded like a good call. I don't even call myself that, I just say "I'm from Michigan". Michigander....sheesh.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:19 AM

By the way, I see that dreamer8 couldn't answer my question about the so called threat. Another fabrication, it seems.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Dream, I have to comment to this. Your posting about the husband who stuck around - none of us know and it is none of anyone's business why Met is single. Maybe she didn't want her husband to stick around and booted his butt out. My first marriage didn't work and I raised my son alone and with the way my life turned out it was good that I only had one child to take care of. I was fortunate that I had my mother to baby-sit him while I worked. I wasn't able to be a stay-at-home mom. I've worked all my life and I was single a long time before remarrying and had sworn I'd never get married again. I was very content being single all those years.

If people like having alot of kids that's fine but marriage and lots of kids is not for everyone and that doesn't mean someone doesn't have lots of love. That remark was uncalled for. None of us know what the future holds and it was just wrong for you to say something like that to Met. My grandmother use to tell us to always remember that "Pride goeth before a fall" whenever we got a bit too smug. So what I'm saying is "get off your high horse." It's great you are happy but don't be too smug because someone else's life is different then your's; it doesn't mean they are not happy or loved. To each his own.
Thanks, Pat. We just wanted different things from life, that's all. We're still very good friends and see each other on a regular basis. Thanks to you too, karibear; you are so right.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:36 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,320,318 times
Quote:
oboy. You're young, aren't you? This thread has been relatively civil. Go to Google groups and check the archives for some of the older newsgroups, about ten years back. There were some serious rants and personal attacks and flamewars that went on for months, one notorious one that went on for over a year, until the other members of the ng took the 2 main participants to court. Pure vitriol. There was a guy on some of the dog groups, rec.pets.dogs.breeds, rpd.training, and so on, who made a habit of constantly telling people to commit suicide, and telling them in graphic detail just how to do it. He was constantly being booted off ISP's and having to open new accounts with different servers.

This particular thread hasn't come anywhere near the point where it would be locked, I've seen a few that were, and it wasn't because of personal attacks, it was because people were so vehement in defending their own points of view - a "My way or the Highway" kind of thing. Besides, it would be boring if everyone agreed all the time, that's why these are called 'discussions'. Some do get more heated than others, but for the most part, people agree to disagree and go on from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska