U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-30-2008, 06:09 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,374,939 times
Any idiot knows you can type slow, it's how fast you hit the reply button! It makes all the difference!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 06:26 PM

15,786 posts, read 15,105,587 times
Cya later, kari, it's almost time for me to start back to the mountains.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:17 PM

20,982 posts, read 21,698,871 times
Kids play nice!

Old 08-31-2008, 01:30 AM

8,672 posts, read 9,566,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
May not be posting much longer. Hubby will take computer down shortly. So all I suffered a herniated disk couple weeks ago so have had to take it real easy, which was hard with so much to do. Hubby's knee acting up from old football injury. Danggggggg.

So for all of those who believe in the "power of prayer" how about offering up a prayer for us that I can make the trip with NO pain or problems and same for hubby. Thanks so much in advance! This may be off subject, but oh well, sorry.
Pat - have been gone all day with my girls, sorry I missed you and you have mine - have a very safe trip and sure you will be back to us when you arrive...Deb

Old 08-31-2008, 01:58 AM

1,331 posts, read 1,903,063 times
Wow, I don't have the time to read all 16 pages of this thread but just what the hell caused all the battling? I saw Met and Dreamchaser going at it in all-out warfare and just wonder what the heck happened?

Old 08-31-2008, 01:58 AM

Gosh - have been gone all day - and this is out of control - DC8 - you sent me a DM because you feel ganged up on, I think wanted me to pick sides, and I have picked mine - with the "elders"- I was going to respond privately, but now after reading the rest of this - need to do it here... so sad..Point- Do not go after anyone that is an oldy moldie or anything else - do your research - look at other threads and see who has been around. CC is obviously a known friend to Met...Point - do not go after someone who has been here for a long time - I have been here for a short, but been on other boards - You came to Alaska and started a life with your family- for whatever reason,does not matter. You made a statement and let it go - you admitted way back to your words probably being mistaken - fine - do that and let it go - no - you kept at it - like a temper tantrum and wanting to have the last word and win... - You are a baby in terms of years here - you have several women way beyond your years in terms of life experience, myself included.. Now when you look at native culture - which is Alaska, which is native in origin - family is the key - elders rule. You have no idea who has been here how long, why, where....unless they tell you. Most natives will not advertise they have been here, blah, blah, blah. Lower -48 terms - don't mess with mother nature...respect your elders...maybe you did not conform to that mindset because of age... you will not win this battle and will feel outcast, read some about native culture. You can state your opinion, but don't push and don't do what you have done - go back and read the posts - temper tantrum at max... Belly up - apologize - because we all have a lot to learn and can learn the most when we listen...You have your family, your morals teaching your kids, great - good job - but we are all children and the way to learn is open your mind and listen - use your motherly instincts - listen, learn and then teach.. we are all never too young to learn... Native ways, culture, listen...Alaskan - I believe that is the point...

Old 08-31-2008, 03:01 AM

Granny, I didn't PM you about feeling like I was being ganged up on, I PM'd you about the puppies, and said because of how things went that maybe it wasn't a great idea for you to buy one of our pups.
Yes this thread was not me at my best and I have gotten along great with others on other threads. I did not start this argument but no one cares to remember that. Which is just fine. I am better than how I sounded on this thread and yes it was immature of me to respond to her bullying in the way that I did.
If you had looked back you would have seen that I did let it go and Met tried her hardest to keep it going, I wasn't the only one being immature, age or not. I understand what you are saying about the elders and I do agree. I teach those exact principles to my children and did not set the same example. I will try to take more time before responding with my emotions instead of my mind, like I should have. I apologize to everyone who had to read this long going and completely off topic rant from myself and Met. I will not stoop to that level again.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:26 AM

Okay - almost there - Met was not bullying you - you need to go back and read what I said again - that is the process, read, re-read...., Karibear was not bullying you, AlaskaPat was not bullying you, I was not bullying you - we are sisters, daughters, mothers, grandmothers, all is in teaching and learning... Bullying and teaching, STOP - are two different things and the same...All kept at it to teach, STOP, learn, listen and I have a real problem shutting my mouth at times too, I am 52 and still learning...I also have a sick sense of humor and run with it...another story,

"I understand what you are saying about the elders and I do agree. I teach those exact principles to my children and did not set the same example. I will try to take more time before responding with my emotions instead of my mind, like I should have. I apologize to everyone who had to read this long going and completely off topic rant from myself and Met. I will not stoop to that level again,"

Perception of bullying when taken to far by us is in our minds, go back - and you were being taught, all will get along well when we see what happened here, once again sisters, daughters, mothers, grandmothers. There is a time to voice if warranted, other times to let go, and learn...Some have been here and gone through way more than we can imagine, when the time comes they will tell us...we can only go on from here and make it better for us, children, grandchildren and hope we have taught them well.

Last edited by Grannysroost; 08-31-2008 at 03:45 AM..

Old 08-31-2008, 09:38 AM

3,701 posts, read 5,791,638 times
I will say one last thing - this is not a criticism aimed at you, DreamChaser, but I hope you think about it because it will make life easier for you, because this isn't limited to the internet.

It is possible to like someone and disagree with them.
It is possible to like someone, yet not respect them.
It is possible to respect someone while still disliking them.
It is possible to agree with someone one dislikes and/or does not respect.
It is possible to disagree with someone one likes and/or respects.
The trick is to keep it at that level, not to let discussions become emotional rants - no one will ever 'win' a discussion through pure emotion. It's a matter of reading for content and responding to the content, not the perceived emotion.

There are people I've known on line for years who I agree with and respect very much, yet dislike for various reasons.
There are people I've met on line who I've become friends with and stayed in contact with many, many years after we abandoned the groups because the rantings got to be too much. I say 'friends' because even though we've never met in person, it's impossible not to know someone well after being in near daily contact for more than a decade and seeing pictures of their homes, families, and pets.
There are people I've met on line who I've become friends with in 'real life' and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:31 AM

It is possible to like someone and disagree with them.
It is possible to like someone, yet not respect them.
It is possible to respect someone while still disliking them.
It is possible to agree with someone one dislikes and/or does not respect.
It is possible to disagree with someone one likes and/or respects.
The trick is to keep it at that level, not to let discussions become emotional rants - no one will ever 'win' a discussion through pure emotion. It's a matter of reading for content and responding to the content, not the perceived emotion.

You are completely right about this. I definitly agree with you and respect what you are saying. Granny and I have been PM'ing since last night and I agree with what she is saying too. She is very wise!

Tho I did go back and re read it from the beginning I guess I am seeing it differently. I never thought that Granny, Karibear or Pat were bullying me. I did think Met was being somewhat bullyish. Everyone has a different view of things in life, and that's fine.
Met admitted it was personal because of what I said about her friend (who I did not know was her friend). That's why I asked her what her attitude was for, and so it began. That was not teaching, that was trying to get back at me for CC. Like I said before I should never had gone along with it and feel bad that I did.
As I stated I will definitly be thinking more before speaking (typing) and keep on topic cause this got way out of hand and I'm not proud of how it made me look, I know others who have talked to me on here were surprised as well. I always try to set a respected example for my children for they are my entire life, and I would not be proud to have this as an example to them.
Thank you Granny and Kari, I do see and agree with what you are saying and I hope we can all move on to more peaceful threads.
Stephanie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska