U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 07:40 PM

5,964 posts, read 7,212,509 times

Advertisements

Interesting comments from all. Basically all expressed the same sentiments that I feel on the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 07:56 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,824,710 times
Warptman said it perfect a while back, I tried to copy it to here but don't know how...check it out http://www.city-data.com/forum/1094447-post35.html

Old 08-27-2008, 08:15 PM

14,423 posts, read 13,737,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
You mean the Vermonters aren't flat landers? Isn't that like the "Pot" calling the "Kettle" Black, when they are both covered in soot?

Never could figure out why they call West Virgina the "Mountain State" either, seems more like the "Low Hilly State", but what the heck, the Devil is in the Details I suppose....

Mt. McKinley is the one in the middle at over 20,000+ feet, the rest aren't too much smaller...while looking down from 30,000+ feet, and the photo's area is covering an area about the size of Vermont too...
http://spotted.peninsulaclarion.com/images/photos/100026/2008/08/22/gallery/1564503.jpg (broken link)

Mt. McKinley from the Nenana Muni Airport at over 120 miles away at -40 or so... that is like looking over the whole State of Vermont, from the "Flatlands" up north....
http://spotted.peninsulaclarion.com/images/photos/100026/2008/08/22/gallery/1564480.jpg (broken link)

Got to have a sense of humor!
LOL It's usually aimed at people from MA, NJ, NY, CT, etc. who've invaded the state and screwed it up. Alaska does make VT'ers look like flatlanders, I'll grant you that. LOL

Old 08-27-2008, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by starlite9
You mean the Vermonters aren't flat landers? Isn't that like the "Pot" calling the "Kettle" Black, when they are both covered in soot?

Never could figure out why they call West Virgina the "Mountain State" either, seems more like the "Low Hilly State", but what the heck, the Devil is in the Details I suppose....

I've been to West Va. several times and although the mountains are not as high as in Alaska, they are very pretty. West Va. like all of the States has some very pretty parts.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
People come from all over, most will call themselves "Alaskan" shortly after getting here and that is what they are. When a person comes from Ohio and moves to Texas, they still call themselves "From Ohio", or what ever state they are from.

But when most come to Alaska, they change their tune and call themselves "Alaskans". I have been here all my life except for military duty and travel with work, my kids were born and raised here too and I have no problems with new transplants calling themselves "Alaskans" either, or from anywhere else they want to be from.

Just wish the guys that claim to be from elsewhere, would go back to their home state a bit sooner than later if their hearts aren't into Alaska...which often happens. They come here to work, and complain about the cold, the snow, the mosquitos and on and on. All of which have a great appeal to me, um, except the mosquito part, I do whine about them not being on "Milk Cartons" with "Missing" above their pictures...

Being an "Alaskan" is totally a frame of mine, I know people that are born and raised here and take the State and it's natural assets for granted, they have no clue to what they have and aren't worthy of being called anything but losers....
Since I'm originally from Ohio, I consider myself an Ohioan by birth. Having lived in Alaska, winters, ice, snow, cold, fog, fun on the Glenn in the winter, I also consider myself an Alaskan. I've encountered some over the years who have complained about the cold, lack of malls, etc. I always asked them well why did you end up coming here? Many came and had no clue what to expect because they had not done any research. Then over the years I've encountered many who came and loved it right away. I loved Alaska the first time I came here and still do.

We'll be relocating back to South Eastern Ohio "not" because we don't like Alaska, but because I'm tired of being so far away from my family and my husband received an excellent job offer. It will be nice to be an hour or so from family. I'll miss Alaska, the beauty, the mountains and lakes, but sometimes family just comes first.

Last edited by Alaskapat528; 08-27-2008 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: add

Old 08-27-2008, 10:50 PM

8,677 posts, read 10,012,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Since I'm originally from Ohio, I consider myself an Ohioan by birth. Having lived in Alaska, winters, ice, snow, cold, fog, fun on the Glenn in the winter, I also consider myself an Alaskan. I've encountered some over the years who have complained about the cold, lack of malls, etc. I always asked them well why did you end up coming here? Many came and had no clue what to expect because they had not done any research. Then over the years I've encountered many who came and loved it right away. I loved Alaska the first time I came here and still do.

We'll be relocating back to South Eastern Ohio "not" because we don't like Alaska, but because I'm tired of being so far away from my family and my husband received an excellent job offer. It will be nice to be an hour or so from family. I'll miss Alaska, the beauty, the mountains and lakes, but sometimes family just comes first.
We have to do what we have to do and just do it - at least you know where you need to be right now and no one can think any less of you for knowing what you need, cannot imagine the tugging you are feeling...

Old 08-28-2008, 02:13 AM

21,040 posts, read 22,834,495 times
I'm Alaskan!

Old 08-28-2008, 07:33 AM

6,271 posts, read 8,045,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Since I'm originally from Ohio, I consider myself an Ohioan by birth. Having lived in Alaska, winters, ice, snow, cold, fog, fun on the Glenn in the winter, I also consider myself an Alaskan.
I met my wife when I was stationed in Ashtabula, Ohio at the Coast Guard Lifeboat station there. My mother-in-law to be at the time made a statement as we drove though West Virgina at how pretty the mountains were... I said "What mountains" because they are pretty much foothills from what I grew up with in Alaska...

She didn't grasp what I was talking about until she came to Visit in Valdez a few years later when I was stationed there inspecting the Oil Tankers. The plane arrived with low clouds around the Valdez basin, she looked at me and said (with a lot of "Distain") that she didn't see what was so great about the mountains there, they were all "Flat" on top... When I looked up, I realized the clouds were at about the 1,500 foot level against the mountains and to someone who had never seen them, they indeed, looked flat, I just chuckled and let it slide.

The next morning was a clear sky and when she looked out the window and saw the mountains to clear up past the top of the windows, it scared her... I laughed all day... She had never had seen any "mountains" other than for drives to WV or PA, since she grew up in Northeast Ohio and never left it.

The next day a black bear looked into the front room window and she was ready to leave....

My wife after 30 years still tells everyone she is "From Ohio"

Old 08-28-2008, 08:03 PM

16,106 posts, read 16,116,997 times
Interesting question. I have to say I do get a bit tired of people who really haven't been around there at that long who get pretty insistent that they are "Alaskans". It seems that happens more in parts of the state with more transient populations, or more newcomers. Some people need to define themselves, I suppose.

If I tell people I just meet that I'm from Alaska, they invariably ask me what living in Anchorage was like. It gets tiring, so lately I've been avoiding giving out that information. If I tell them I've spent most of my time in rural Alaska, they're surprised because I don't exactly fit whatever stereotype is going on in their minds.

My son is far more of an "Alaskan" than I ever will be, and he's also far more likely than I am to never go back.

I guess I was lucky. My first love was the Cascade Mountain Range, and I never had to watch it be destroyed the way that both outside and inside interests have destroyed a large part of the Tongass.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 08-28-2008 at 08:16 PM..

Old 08-28-2008, 10:37 PM

17,862 posts, read 11,814,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Interesting question. I have to say I do get a bit tired of people who really haven't been around there at that long who get pretty insistent that they are "Alaskans". It seems that happens more in parts of the state with more transient populations, or more newcomers. Some people need to define themselves, I suppose.

If I tell people I just meet that I'm from Alaska, they invariably ask me what living in Anchorage was like. It gets tiring, so lately I've been avoiding giving out that information. If I tell them I've spent most of my time in rural Alaska, they're surprised because I don't exactly fit whatever stereotype is going on in their minds.
If they live in the state all year, even if it is only one year, the state considers them to be an Alaskan resident, as long as they intend to stay. That seems to be a reasonable enough requirement. I may have been born in California, and lived in various states and countries for a while, but Alaska is my home. I agree with starlite9, if you consider Alaska to be your home, you are an Alaskan. Personally, I can think of no place on the planet where I would rather be.

You are missing a great opportunity for entertainment by not telling huge whoppers about Alaska and Alaskan life to ignorant lower-48ers. Maybe starlite9 can give you a few pointers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska