U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-02-2008, 05:23 PM

286 posts, read 757,743 times
Changing the subject momentarily, Starlite, I for one think it would be great to see some photos of the sea action and port action that you describe. Any chance you can take a camera around with you? Would make a great contribution in the alaska photos section. The real Alaska. Not the tour boat Alaska.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 05:46 PM

6,272 posts, read 7,766,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallon View Post
Changing the subject momentarily, Starlite, I for one think it would be great to see some photos of the sea action and port action that you describe. Any chance you can take a camera around with you? Would make a great contribution in the alaska photos section. The real Alaska. Not the tour boat Alaska.
I will post a few here, but they come out as "Thumbnails" and you need to click on them to make them bigger.

These photos are of Dutch Harbor and Unalaska areas. Unalaska is a "town" next to Dutch, but doesn't get the same attention as Dutch. During WWII, there were some 40,000+- U.S. Troops stationed there and an extensive bunker system with gun emplacements all over the island.

Will post more a bit later, have to go do some welding for a new furnace...
Attached Thumbnails
The Term "Alaskan"-looking-down-dutch-harbor.jpg   The Term "Alaskan"-unalaska-town-dutch-harbor.jpg   The Term "Alaskan"-wwii-gun-emplacements-dutch-harbor.jpg   The Term "Alaskan"-looking-north-dutch-harbor.jpg   The Term "Alaskan"-looking-west-dutch-where-whales-come  

The Term "Alaskan"-gun-emplacement-overlooking-north.jpg  

Last edited by starlite9; 09-02-2008 at 06:01 PM..

Old 09-02-2008, 05:59 PM

6,272 posts, read 7,766,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
I've already explained why I had to leave, not that it apparently sank in. And if you can figure out any way I could possibly survive on an income of less than 1,000/month anywhere in AK, a place where I wouldn't need to drive since I'm also legally blind, please let me know.
There is a lot of "Pioneer Homes" in almost every town in Alaska of some kind, they allow people to live there on a min. budget and have kitchens. In my town (of only 300 people or so) there is also a senior center that also cooks meals for the elders and costs pennys for a good meal at least once a day. The also have a "Seniors" bus that takes them to Fairbanks and other places. That is the norm for almost all Alaskan towns in one form or another, if you are "Legally Blind", then you would qualify for such places without being the proper age.

You can get by on a thousand dollars a month fairly easily as well as anywhere else if you ask people for the info...

Old 09-02-2008, 07:04 PM

3,701 posts, read 5,891,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
There is a lot of "Pioneer Homes" in almost every town in Alaska of some kind, they allow people to live there on a min. budget and have kitchens. In my town (of only 300 people or so) there is also a senior center that also cooks meals for the elders and costs pennys for a good meal at least once a day. The also have a "Seniors" bus that takes them to Fairbanks and other places. That is the norm for almost all Alaskan towns in one form or another, if you are "Legally Blind", then you would qualify for such places without being the proper age.

You can get by on a thousand dollars a month fairly easily as well as anywhere else if you ask people for the info...
I've been to the senior center in Anch, and I know what the one in Kodiak is like. It made me crazy living in a trailer park with close neighbors, any kind of apartment would drive me to suicide. Besides which, I want land for a garden - which I now have, and no way am I going to give up my dogs or my bird, which I would also have to do. I am an independent type of person, and absolutely do NOT want to have to depend on others for anything. Asking for help once in awhile is one thing, depending entirely on others is another thing entirely. That's one of the reasons I did well in Alaska. Now, do you get that?

When I say 'get by' I mean a place with land, at least an acre but preferably more, within walking distance of wherever I need to go, whether it's grocery shopping or to a doctor or a hardware store. I want to cook for myself, I don't want some institutional garbage that's inedible. I went once to the senior center where I live now, which also serves meals, and everyone else there was a minimum of 20 years older than me, most of them older than that - not a fun visit at all, believe me. No way am I that far gone. When the time comes that I have to live in a home of any kind, that's the time I check out while I'm still able.

Do you get THAT?

Old 09-02-2008, 07:12 PM

8,672 posts, read 9,748,552 times
Tried to rep,but wouldn't work yet "spread around"...I agree with you totally - would rather go off in woods than deal with most do, that is not life as we know it... good post Karibear!!!

Old 09-02-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
I will post a few here, but they come out as "Thumbnails" and you need to click on them to make them bigger.

These photos are of Dutch Harbor and Unalaska areas. Unalaska is a "town" next to Dutch, but doesn't get the same attention as Dutch. During WWII, there were some 40,000+- U.S. Troops stationed there and an extensive bunker system with gun emplacements all over the island.

Thanks for those. I hope you can make these a regular contribution in the photo thread. A working man's Alaska.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:16 PM

8,672 posts, read 9,748,552 times
Quote:

More please - tired of the "crab show" as granddaughter put it, do you have pics of dock with boats, would be fun!!!

Old 09-02-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
More please - tired of the "crab show" as granddaughter put it, do you have pics of dock with boats, would be fun!!!

I'd like to see the working man's perspective. Handling the lines, sacks of flour on the shoulders, swabbing the decks, approaching the docks on out of the way towns. All the good stuff. Start working on your portfolio for the National Geographic.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:35 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,123,909 times
for the life of me i can't seem to find where starlite has really offended anyone. Am I just totally clueless here? Am I dense or something?
He seems to just shoot straight, and straight from the heart. What's wrong with that?

(tried to rep you again but it won't let me....I hate this silly rep point popularity contest crap...)

Old 09-02-2008, 08:41 PM

25 posts, read 39,359 times
every time I try and give anyone rep, it says "you cannot give reputation to the same post twice...." I haven't given rep on the same post twice, so why is it not letting me give it out? Or is there just a rep giving epidemic that is going on and its not working for anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska