U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-29-2008, 01:24 AM
 
11,771 posts, read 18,389,448 times
Reputation: 2674

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Anchorage and the Matanuska valley are full of people wearing bunny boots to walk three blocks for a latte, and that type seems to be the first to loudly proclaim that they are ALASKAN.

I never see that from long term residents. They may drink lattes and wear bunny boots but they aren't in you face about being an Alaskan.
Met have you seen how many espresso stands there are in the Valley & near Homer these days? I don't think anyone has to walk three blocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-29-2008, 01:27 AM
 
Location: Alaska
1,007 posts, read 1,425,165 times
Reputation: 266
Actually I have seen a ton more all over Washington state
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2008, 01:31 AM
 
16,106 posts, read 16,101,185 times
Reputation: 7148
Quote:
Actually I have seen a ton more all over Washington state
Let me take a wild guess....that just might be because Washington state is substantially more populated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2008, 08:46 AM
 
Location: Over the Rainbow...
5,964 posts, read 7,206,598 times
Reputation: 3065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
We have to do what we have to do and just do it - at least you know where you need to be right now and no one can think any less of you for knowing what you need, cannot imagine the tugging you are feeling...
Oh yes I have and am still feeling the "tuggins." We leave Sunday and I keep asking myself "well it's great to be going to be near your family, so why do you keep crying off and on." My one sister has a terminal illness and I'll be able to see her alot more often. She lives in Conn., but that is only about an hour's plane ride away from where I'll be or if you drive, about 11 hours. My other sister in Ohio, along with my son, nieces and nephews are thrilled we are coming. I don't want to think about when we actually leave Alaska and enter into Canada. Thinking about that starts the tears again. I do feel in my heart we are doing the right thing but my heart still aches. Gotta go to Hatcher Pass today since it has always been the top of my favorite places. Yeah, Alaska, I do love ya.

Last edited by Alaskapat528; 08-29-2008 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2008, 12:16 PM
 
Location: Alaska
1,007 posts, read 1,425,165 times
Reputation: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Let me take a wild guess....that just might be because Washington state is substantially more populated.
I meant in the same area size around the Anchorage/Mat-Su area. I was referring to Whatcom county...is that ok with you? Or do you not approve with anything I say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2008, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Interior alaska
6,271 posts, read 8,038,124 times
Reputation: 3194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Oh yes I have and am still feeling the "tuggins." We leave Sunday and I keep asking myself "well it's great to be going to be near your family, so why do you keep crying off and on." My one sister has a terminal illness and I'll be able to see her alot more often. She lives in Conn., but that is only about an hour's plane ride away from where I'll be or if you drive, about 11 hours. My other sister in Ohio, along with my son, nieces and nephews are thrilled we are coming. I don't want to think about when we actually leave Alaska and enter into Canada. Thinking about that starts the tears again. I do feel in my heart we are doing the right thing but my heart still aches. Gotta go to Hatcher Pass today since it has always been the top of my favorite places. Yeah, Alaska, I do love ya.
You sound as "Alaskan" as they get, sounds like your heart will always be here.... Have a safe trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2008, 01:10 PM
 
1,332 posts, read 1,823,610 times
Reputation: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Oh yes I have and am still feeling the "tuggins." We leave Sunday and I keep asking myself "well it's great to be going to be near your family, so why do you keep crying off and on." My one sister has a terminal illness and I'll be able to see her alot more often. She lives in Conn., but that is only about an hour's plane ride away from where I'll be or if you drive, about 11 hours. My other sister in Ohio, along with my son, nieces and nephews are thrilled we are coming. I don't want to think about when we actually leave Alaska and enter into Canada. Thinking about that starts the tears again. I do feel in my heart we are doing the right thing but my heart still aches. Gotta go to Hatcher Pass today since it has always been the top of my favorite places. Yeah, Alaska, I do love ya.
Have a safe trip Pat. Give me a shout if you come thru here on your way down & we'll grab a cup of coffee or something!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2008, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Over the Rainbow...
5,964 posts, read 7,206,598 times
Reputation: 3065
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyoness View Post
Have a safe trip Pat. Give me a shout if you come thru here on your way down & we'll grab a cup of coffee or something!
Will do Lyoness. Thanks. We have some friends who were supposed to drive up to Alaska early September to visit. Needless to say, they were dissapointed that we're leaving. They had been worried about the Alcan cause they've never done it before so I told them well wait until next year and take the cruise.

Last edited by Alaskapat528; 08-29-2008 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2008, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Over the Rainbow...
5,964 posts, read 7,206,598 times
Reputation: 3065
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
You sound as "Alaskan" as they get, sounds like your heart will always be here.... Have a safe trip!
Yep I'll be leaving a part of me here in Alaska. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2008, 01:16 PM
 
16,106 posts, read 16,101,185 times
Reputation: 7148
When are you leaving? Will you be passing through Oregon at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:32 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top