Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2008, 09:39 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncwest View Post
I love Alaska.

Pat, I will be a Michigander "living" in Alaska. And yes, I would like to slap whoever decided that Michigander sounded like a good call. I don't even call myself that, I just say "I'm from Michigan". Michigander....sheesh.
Well slap me and call me Charlie cause I was the one who called you a Michiganite I believe LOL. Taking a break here from packing, so muccchhh to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I love Alaska.

Pat, I will be a Michigander "living" in Alaska. And yes, I would like to slap whoever decided that Michigander sounded like a good call. I don't even call myself that, I just say "I'm from Michigan". Michigander....sheesh.
BTW, you will find that alot of the "real" people in Alaska have no problem whatsoever speaking their mind.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Thanks, Pat. We just wanted different things from life, that's all. We're still very good friends and see each other on a regular basis. Thanks to you too, karibear; you are so right.
You are very welcome Met. That remarked just burned me up here. She was way out of line. I had not said much but was getting really fed-up with some of the "know it all" comments made in other posts. My son's father was killed in a motorcycle accident when my son was 11-years old. At that point we had talked about getting back together - fate, huh?

Old 08-30-2008, 09:45 AM

May not be posting much longer. Hubby will take computer down shortly. So all I suffered a herniated disk couple weeks ago so have had to take it real easy, which was hard with so much to do. Hubby's knee acting up from old football injury. Danggggggg.

So for all of those who believe in the "power of prayer" how about offering up a prayer for us that I can make the trip with NO pain or problems and same for hubby. Thanks so much in advance! This may be off subject, but oh well, sorry.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:47 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,320,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
May not be posting much longer. Hubby will take computer down shortly. So all I suffered a herniated disk couple weeks ago so have had to take it real easy, which was hard with so much to do. Hubby's knee acting up from old football injury. Danggggggg.

So for all of those who believe in the "power of prayer" how about offering up a prayer for us that I can make the trip with NO pain or problems and same for hubby. Thanks so much in advance! This may be off subject, but oh well, sorry.
You got it.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:56 AM

25 posts, read 61,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
oboy. You're young, aren't you?

I am 27 years old. If that makes me too young to know what arguing sounds like, then I guess I don't have anything to say. I don't need to do any google searches on old forum posts or anything, if I want to hear a real good argument all I have to do is go to my parents house for an hour. You would think that after 31 years of marriage you wouldn't hear people talk like that to each other....yikes.

Pat, I wasn't saying that YOU need to be slapped for calling me a Michiganite, I was saying that the person who invented the term "Michigander" needed to be slapped. I am all about people saying what is on their minds, I am one of the most outspoken people that I know. I enjoy this forum very much and while I do enjoy a good debate, I think things can only go south when people start taking direct shots at other people and make things personal.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:42 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,320,318 times
Quote:
I am 27 years old. If that makes me too young to know what arguing sounds like, then I guess I don't have anything to say. I don't need to do any google searches on old forum posts or anything, if I want to hear a real good argument all I have to do is go to my parents house for an hour. You would think that after 31 years of marriage you wouldn't hear people talk like that to each other....yikes.

Pat, I wasn't saying that YOU need to be slapped for calling me a Michiganite, I was saying that the person who invented the term "Michigander" needed to be slapped. I am all about people saying what is on their minds, I am one of the most outspoken people that I know. I enjoy this forum very much and while I do enjoy a good debate, I think things can only go south when people start taking direct shots at other people and make things personal.
No, I grew up in the same kind of household, and I'm a whole lot older than you. What I meant was that you were probably too young to remember the early days of newsgroups on usenet. That was a no-holds-barred kind of thing. I looked lately a few times at some of the ngs I used to take part in, but it just wasn't worth sifting through hundreds of ranting posts to find one or two that actually had something worth saying. I very much prefer these moderated forums, even though I don't agree with a lot of what I see posted in some of them - for instance, the ones that include the places where I grew up and where I spent the past 8 years, before moving again. Some of the people don't attack anything or anyone, they just plain whine, and that's boring at best. Things are going to get more heated everywhere as the election approaches, but the worst of it will be on the Politics forum, and frequently the mods will tell whoever is arguing to take it there. If it persists, they'll probably lock some threads and the participants will have to go there, or give up.

Once you get to AK, you'll see the same kind of thing. People will apparently be at each other's throats going for the jugular, but once that particular argument is over for the time being, they'll agree to disagree and life goes on. And quite often, the people who seem to be most at odds with each other are the first ones to show up and lend a hand if there's need.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:

I know I was just being a smarta**. . I think you'd like Alaska and do just fine.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
You got it.
Thanks Kari. What State do you now live in?

Old 08-30-2008, 10:48 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,801,965 times
Alaska resident is a legal term, "Alaskan" is is state of mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska