U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 02:39 PM

5,964 posts, read 7,023,295 times
Default The Term "Alaskan"

I work with several people who were born and raised in Alaska. The question came up the other day of folks calling themselves "Alaskans." Their answer was that unless one is born and raised here they are not an Alaskan, but are a Texan, Oklahomian, etc., and are "living in Alaska." I thought that was interesting. I asked if they considered someone who had lived here 20-30 years an Alaskan and one commented that yes, 20 years and nothing less would qualify to call yourself an Alaskan.

Last edited by Alaskapat528; 08-27-2008 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 03:20 PM

763 posts, read 1,508,930 times
Lifelong residents here call me "Alaskan". They say the difference is attitude. I act Alaskan, I've been here a while, therefore I'm Alaskan.

Someone who has been here 30 years and still talks about how much better things are back "home" are not called Alaskan.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:24 PM

4,988 posts, read 5,469,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgusano View Post
Someone who has been here 30 years and still talks about how much better things are back "home" are not called Alaskan.
There are lifelong "Alaskans" in Anchorage who think bears have "rights".

Old 08-27-2008, 03:26 PM

8,672 posts, read 9,777,616 times
Attitude is so right I think, you either feel you belong somewhere or you don't. So many people stay somewhere because either they think they need to, or maybe feel trapped?? Life is too short, either you are content or not in your skin and surroundings

Old 08-27-2008, 03:27 PM

17,704 posts, read 11,282,908 times
I disagree with both definitions. I consider those who were born in Alaska to be Alaskan, regardless where they choose to live. Those who live in Alaska the entire year are also Alaskans, regardless of how many years they lived in Alaska. Those who spend only the summers in Alaska and the rest of the year somewhere else, are not Alaskans (unless they were born in Alaska of course).

Old 08-27-2008, 04:33 PM

463 posts, read 815,904 times
I am just American

Old 08-27-2008, 04:47 PM

6,271 posts, read 7,797,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
I work with several people who were born and raised in Alaska. The question came up the other day of folks calling themselves "Alaskans." Their answer was that unless one is born and raised here they are not an Alaskan, but are a Texan, Oklahomian, etc., and are "living in Alaska." I thought that was interesting. I asked if they considered someone who had lived here 20-30 years an Alaskan and one commented that yes, 20 years and nothing less would qualify to call yourself an Alaskan.
People come from all over, most will call themselves "Alaskan" shortly after getting here and that is what they are. When a person comes from Ohio and moves to Texas, they still call themselves "From Ohio", or what ever state they are from.

But when most come to Alaska, they change their tune and call themselves "Alaskans". I have been here all my life except for military duty and travel with work, my kids were born and raised here too and I have no problems with new transplants calling themselves "Alaskans" either, or from anywhere else they want to be from.

Just wish the guys that claim to be from elsewhere, would go back to their home state a bit sooner than later if their hearts aren't into Alaska...which often happens. They come here to work, and complain about the cold, the snow, the mosquitos and on and on. All of which have a great appeal to me, um, except the mosquito part, I do whine about them not being on "Milk Cartons" with "Missing" above their pictures...

Being an "Alaskan" is totally a frame of mine, I know people that are born and raised here and take the State and it's natural assets for granted, they have no clue to what they have and aren't worthy of being called anything but losers....

Old 08-27-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Photographer View Post
There are lifelong "Alaskans" in Anchorage who think bears have "rights".

They do have the rights, the right to stay in the woods and out of people's yards, or the right to go into people's yards and become a fur hanging on a wall.

Rights are all about choices... You have choices too about having bears in your yard, either move, ignore them or hunt them.... oh yeah, don't be the slowest person on your street, that would make you the "bait"...

Old 08-27-2008, 05:18 PM

14,359 posts, read 13,312,009 times
This reminds me of some of the conversations I'm in or hear in Vermont about flatlanders versus Vermonters, and some of the stuff I've heard in Maine.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
This reminds me of some of the conversations I'm in or hear in Vermont about flatlanders versus Vermonters, and some of the stuff I've heard in Maine.
You mean the Vermonters aren't flat landers? Isn't that like the "Pot" calling the "Kettle" Black, when they are both covered in soot?

Never could figure out why they call West Virgina the "Mountain State" either, seems more like the "Low Hilly State", but what the heck, the Devil is in the Details I suppose....

Mt. McKinley is the one in the middle at over 20,000+ feet, the rest aren't too much smaller...while looking down from 30,000+ feet, and the photo's area is covering an area about the size of Vermont too...
http://spotted.peninsulaclarion.com/images/photos/100026/2008/08/22/gallery/1564503.jpg (broken link)

Mt. McKinley from the Nenana Muni Airport at over 120 miles away at -40 or so... that is like looking over the whole State of Vermont, from the "Flatlands" up north....
http://spotted.peninsulaclarion.com/images/photos/100026/2008/08/22/gallery/1564480.jpg (broken link)

Got to have a sense of humor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska