U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 02:35 PM

5,963 posts, read 10,321,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
OMG - you took the words right out of my mouth - my thoughts exactly when saw this was giving the benefit of the doubt....and great spelling - just like the nut - Maybe he should do a Planter's commercial -feel like a nut
Well sometimes I "feel" like a nut and sometimes I don't, but do most times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 02:36 PM

5,963 posts, read 10,321,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
by like mini nyc i mean like, like manhattan.

and it looks flat because nome is on a plateau above other mountains. sorry, I should've been clearer.
Nothing like NYC, trust me, it is the complete opposite. NYC has skyscrapers and buildings galore, and people and traffic galore!

Old 12-01-2008, 02:58 PM

149 posts, read 309,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
oh hi lonetraveler. I'll try to answer as best I can.

wat is ur opinion on nome - itz liek a mini new york city but more hectic.

wat is it like living there - it rainz allot in the winter. snowz allot in mid summar. sometimes they get tornadoze from sighbrrria.

how far is it from mountains - Itz in the mountainz.

And watch out for the gnomes walking around at night.

haha, i laughed at that

Old 12-02-2008, 02:31 AM

345 posts, read 1,095,591 times
I would not bury anyone in that nome graveyard. Its completely gornw up. Most civil war graveyards are better kept out in the woods than the Nome cemetery is. They ride 4 wheelers through it as a shortcut to get into town and it has abandoned "Porter Potties" laying around it. Lots of the graves are just knocked over and the old cribs are scattered around. I found that some of the graves arent even on the cemetery parcel. So please dont bury your dad there who ever said they were.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:05 PM

7 posts, read 15,293 times
Nome is off of the flat hills from the mountains. Climb Anvil and you can see mountains. It is flat = sea level. The housing is very close. There is an area "Icy View" about 2 miles from town with another housing development. There are some roads that lead out of town, to the mine, to a different village. But there is no way to drive from Nome to anywhere in the interior (*Fairbanks) or Anchorage. The winter is cold, wet, & windy similar to the midwest with the wet cold. Nothing like Fairbanks. Just like anywhere in Alaska - dark & cold winters, light & mild summers. The people are very friendly, and reminds me of a small town from the midwest. People wave to one another, and it is NEVER hard to find a helping hand. Be prepared to see Musk Ox, Caribou, and bears. The wildlife is amazing! Please do your own research on it, because it seems that many people would like to only lead you astray. Good Luck!

Old 09-17-2012, 03:00 PM

11 posts, read 15,059 times
such good answers on this forum thought il ask a question..

i want to come to nome but not live there just to pan for a little gold for fun i no u are not going to make thousands unless u have the right gear and know people it not what u know its who u know these days. when is the gold season start? can u dregg during the winter? any any one know any dreggers that might want another crew member next year? thaks

Old 09-18-2012, 04:03 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,307 posts, read 11,558,054 times
One of the TV cable channels has an occasional show about the people digging for gold around the Nome beaches. I think a lot of the land is owned by the GPAA ....... let me see if I can pull out a link from back there .......... GPAA Alaska Gold Expedition At Cripple River Camp

Well there ya have it, an 8 week gold prospecting vacation in Nome. If you're lucky you might find enough to pay for it all!

Old 09-18-2012, 08:07 PM

6,707 posts, read 11,392,615 times
I'm not going to dredge in the winter. That's for the younger guys.

Bering Sea Gold : Discovery Channel

Old 09-19-2012, 02:54 PM

4,718 posts, read 8,521,165 times
I am with you in that one Stiffnecked, watched that under the ice show and it is not for me either.

The dredge in the summer that they use the loader on is more my style. I cannot sati would ever rule out suction diving, but that seems like a lot more work for not as big a pay out. Granted I have zero plans to go to nome...

Old 09-19-2012, 03:25 PM

11 posts, read 15,059 times
hi thanks for that they want to much money thou. thinnk il just come for a holiday. just wanted to know more about nome..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska