Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 08:05 PM

10 posts, read 52,092 times

Advertisements

My Sister and her husband want to vacation this winter at the Bettles Lodge- They are looking for a remote, beautiful spot. Has anyone actually been up there? Does it meet those qualifications Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 08:43 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
I've never been there but it looks like a very cool place to spend some time.
Bettles Lodge

Old 09-02-2008, 10:36 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskyup View Post
My Sister and her husband want to vacation this winter at the Bettles Lodge- They are looking for a remote, beautiful spot. Has anyone actually been up there? Does it meet those qualifications Thx
It is a nice lodge, there isn't much there. I landed there a few times for fuel but mostly the National Park had a office there that burnt down a few years back, but haven't been there since to see if they rebuilt it but I assume they did.

They do have dog sled tours out of there that take you on day or overnight trips to a string of cabins. Pretty neat if you don't know much about mushing and want to get a taste of it, or even if you do. The Northern Lights are really pretty that far North on the night sky too.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:03 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
TripAdvisor.com is a good traveler's resource: real reports from real travelers. This is the page for Bettles Lodge:
Bettles Lodge (Bettles, AK) - Lodge Reviews - TripAdvisor

Old 09-05-2008, 09:19 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,951 times
I lived in Bettles for a few years...a LONG time back. So I can't comment on the current condition of Bettles Lodge. I'm sure the lodge itself has been rebuilt.

But I wouldn't call the Bettles area beautiful. If you are looking for remote, it is that, but with a good airstrip. The only reason I can see for Bettles even existing is the airstrip.

As I remember the current Bettles was settled because of the good runway. I'm not sure but it may have been part of the lend/lease program with Russia in WW2.

If you are looking for beautiful winter excursions into the Gates of the Arctic Park then Bettles might be the place. But you have to get outside of Bettles for the beauty.

PS...read Allforcats link on Bettles Lodge. Apparently a lot of people go there to see the Aurora. It's a great place for that. One of my most memorable experiences was stepping out of my cabin one evening when the whole sky was lit up. It was about -30 and they were showing "Sound of Music" in the community hall. I stood out there as long as I could listening to the music and watching the lights dance from horizon to horizon.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,350 times
I recommend avoiding Bettles Lodge - they are way over-priced for what you get. The people are not very nice....and the food was not that good. I did meet the folks across the street at Spirit Lights Lodge, and they were very nice. Spirit Lights was much more resonably priced, and the food was delicious !! Bettles was a great place to see the northern lights !!! Some of the best in the world. Just don't stay at Bettles Lodge...

Old 10-05-2008, 12:39 AM

Here is a site on the airport that may or may not help most people that aren't pilots, but there is some info there.

AirNav: PABT - Bettles Airport

Last time I stopped at the Bettle's Lodge for fuel and coffee, the people were pretty friendly, always have been, don't know what would have changed...

Here is the Lodge's website...

Bettles Lodge

Old 10-05-2008, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurer12345 View Post
I recommend avoiding Bettles Lodge - they are way over-priced for what you get. The people are not very nice....and the food was not that good. I did meet the folks across the street at Spirit Lights Lodge, and they were very nice. Spirit Lights was much more resonably priced, and the food was delicious !! Bettles was a great place to see the northern lights !!! Some of the best in the world. Just don't stay at Bettles Lodge...

What street was that?

Old 10-05-2008, 01:56 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
What street was that?

I've been trying to figure that out too. Must mean behind the lodge. The lodge is right on the airport as I remember and facing the airport. there is a street of sorts that runs quite a ways behind the lodge from Evansville to the old FAA housing area.

Been a LONG time since I was there.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
I've been trying to figure that out too. Must mean behind the lodge. The lodge is right on the airport as I remember and facing the airport. there is a street of sorts that runs quite a ways behind the lodge from Evansville to the old FAA housing area.

Been a LONG time since I was there.
Just sounded like a sour apple post verses a comment.

Yep, when I taxi my plane up to the front of the Lodge, you are coming off the active runway, not been turned into a street that I know of...

Had a guy in town here at the coffee shop the other day, saying he was from Wasilla, was passing though and he knew Palin personally and started trashing her.

I asked him if they had winterized the big fountain in Wasilla for the winter and got the "Soap" out of it from the kids putting it in to make bubbles, and he said yeah on both...

Wasilla don't have a fountain....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska