U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2008, 05:36 AM

15,596 posts, read 34,586,242 times

Advertisements

She inhaled. I like her.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 12:05 PM

823 posts, read 1,487,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
Hey Susie,

If you think the "ethic comittee" needs to just "get it done", think again.

The original due date of their report was the first of November, about four days prior to the general election. Keep in mind that this date was determined long ago, way before she was tapped for the VP nominee. At the time there was no pressure for a deadline, and you can assume that that date was determined by practical considerations about how long the committee would need, not political ones.

The dirty politics gets involved when the "due date" of that report got MOVED UP BY A MONTH, by one of Palins Democratic enemies in the legislature. Do you mean to tell me that they suddenly discovered somehow that they didn't actually need the extra month to conduct the investigation? It's the most transparent kind of politically motivated BS, the democrats here in AK are under pressure to deliver some dirt in plenty of time for the Obamatrons to use it against Sara and McCain.

In fact, when Palin agreed to cooperate with the committee it was in the spirit of cooperation and to bolster her reputation as a reformer. BY STATE LAW, allegations against the governor are required to be initially investigated by an impartial administrative review. Only after that is completed should an investigation be referred to an independant committee if it's found to be warranted.

There's a reason for that, and it's called dirty politics. The "corruption" card is played so routinely against political enemies in state politics (and often with cause, I might add) that a system is needed to weed out the obviously spurious and purely vindictive allegations without wasting time and resources on committees that are obviously unneeded. With the number of toes Palins's stepped on in her various ethics reform measures and general house-cleaning, she's got plenty of grudges against her in the legislature. You can bet that she's not going to get a "pass" from the bi-partisan investigative committes unless it's warranted.

Allegations that she's "stonewalling" the investigation are popular material for Obama camp press releases, but don't reflect the truth (surprise, surprise) The reality is that she doesn't HAVE to cooperate at this point since they effectively skipped the initial review. The fact that she's finally hired her own lawyer reflects the much higher profile of the matter, now that she's tapped for the VP slot.. By law, she could (and probably should) tell them to go by the book and complete the administrative review first. That she's cooperating AT ALL indicates that she isn't too worried about the allegations, unless the results of the investigation is tainted by high-stakes pressure from outside the state.

Yes, it's unfortunate for the legion of Obama flame-bloggers that the committees work won't be done yesterday. Too bad. Get over it. I'm sure that they'll invent something else to pin on her, they are after all a highly inventive bunch, particularly when it comes to inventing the "truth".
From the Grill God:
If I could rep. you again I would. Great Job.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:08 PM

21,358 posts, read 32,337,542 times
Rotor has his moments, he's on a ego trip now

Old 09-11-2008, 12:16 PM

25 posts, read 53,642 times
rotor in '08?

Old 09-11-2008, 12:53 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,251,658 times
Why such ire regarding my concern about Palin's ethics? Like thousands of voters who actually give a rat's a$$ about who they vote for, I did research McCain's VP choice. Her flip-floping from one platform to the next did not impress me. The information about her question on how to censor what books should be in a library scared the hell out of me. And her indiscrimate use of her position to remove people from their positions in her community and state because they didn't agree with her, did not set well with me either. I was a McCain supporter before he chose her. OK, I can put aside her platform switching as 'well that's just politics and everyone does it' but having an open investigation into her ethics makes my blood run cold. I'm not alone in wanting her to push this forward and get it done. If the Republican party loses, and it would be by a very small margin, I would blame this issue for the lose. I appreciate your response to my question. Unfortunately the 'facts' don't support your assertion that the Democrates are behind the 'stall'.

Because I have concerns regarding Palin as VP doesn't make me a Democrat, a Communist, etc. Sorry, I can't be pigeon holed. But, what I'm not is a lemming. ;-)

'Susie'

Palin's stall: Opinion | adn.com (http://www.adn.com/opinion/story/516641.html - broken link)
Quote:
Palin's lawyer has asked the Legislature to drop its investigation. He had the governor file an ethics complaint against herself, in a bid to turn the entire matter over to the state Personnel Board, which would hire an independent investigator.
Stalling the Troopergate investigation? - First Read - msnbc.com
Quote:
The senator -- Democrat Hollis French -- says Frank Bailey's decision not to testify will slow down the "Troopergate" investigation into the current candidate.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:25 PM

16,177 posts, read 27,485,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Than why are they trying to pray away the gay if they don't think that their way of life is better than theirs? You might pray for someone if you're so inclined who's going through a hard time in life but to pray for people simply because they aren't living the traditional conservative lifestyle is a mutation of the Christian religion.

Betty Bowers' Ex-Gay Ministry BASH: Baptists Are Saving Homosexuals!
Assuming that their actions indicate that "their way of life is better is better than theirs," it's still nice that these folks can pray for homosexuals to turn into Christians. This way they can have more members, and there is nothing wrong with that. What would be wrong is for these church members is to pray for the death of all homosexuals.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:00 PM

3,714 posts, read 8,123,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Assuming that their actions indicate that "their way of life is better is better than theirs," it's still nice that these folks can pray for homosexuals to turn into Christians. This way they can have more members, and there is nothing wrong with that. What would be wrong is for these church members is to pray for the death of all homosexuals.
You missed the point. They aren't praying for the gays to turn to Christianity, they are praying for them to become heterosexuals. In other words, "Pray away the gay."

Old 09-11-2008, 03:36 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,473,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I've been reading some unflattering articles about racial slurs that have come out of sarah palin's mouth. one of the "sources" said that ALL white alaskans talk like this. is this true?
i've only know one alaskan in my life and he was nothing like that.
Sarah Palin's own first dude is Yupik. That makes her kids Yupik. Ya, I think it is safe to say she is racist. Give me a freakin break already! Oh and by the way, it is Alaskan Natives, not "Eskimo" they find that term sort of offensive. Shows how much you know. I cannot believe the crap and lies the left is coming out with to try and slander this fine American Woman. It never ends. Hang in there Sarah, you'll have the last laugh soon enough!

Old 09-11-2008, 07:46 PM

20,461 posts, read 26,589,898 times
Good job on NATO, SP.

Yawn.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:02 PM

2,544 posts, read 3,456,451 times
Default I'm gonna pray that gray right outta my hair

I don't care where you go, you are going to find mostly good, kind hearted people and a handful of racist, sexist or whateverist joiks. The fact is, in everyday life, most people actually don't care at all whether you're black, white, brown, green, or lavender. There are always that handful, though.

As, for the church praying away the gay, I think they're barking up the wrong tree. That said, I hope God's light does shine on gays, and everyone else for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska