Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 04:06 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,322,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I should ask Floyd if anyone in Barrow still uses whale oil lamps.
Funny you should mention that. I have a little bitty traveling whale oil lamp, holds maybe a quarter cup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 04:11 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
My Dad had one too. We never used it though.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:15 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Barkely, where can I get some holy water? Already have the stolis.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:18 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,322,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
If you get some and freeze it, you could run it all through a blender and have a blueberry snow cone with an attitude.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:28 PM

127 posts, read 346,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyoness View Post
Good luck to the hubby, had one, definately not on the list of the better things I've done in life!
Thanks! He's not very excited about it, but he's been off work for more than 6 months now. He can do very little but move from the bed to his recliner. He's just ready to have something done at this point.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:29 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
Quote:

Any Catholic churches nearby? A friendly priest could do the trick too.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:49 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,944,608 times
My husband is a packrat and can't seem to get rid of "useless" stuff (like used envelopes and promo CD's) and I get on his case about it. I've always been the type of person who got rid of everything unused every 6 months. You should have seen the look his face when I was looking up the dimensions and weight of an entire pallet of toilet paper and cat food. He's just not used to me stockpiling anything, but I'm specifically designing our cabin's attic to store bulk dry goods and other essentials. There is no f-ing way that I'm driving 3+ hours into town in inclement weather just to get cat food or coffee & filters. I want to have at least 3 months worth of essentials on hand at all times, 6 months to a year if I can manage it!

Now, I'm trying to find a pharmacy that will actually dispense a year's worth of our medications... or even 6 months worth... since it's not like we can just toddle off to the corner drugstore once we're there. Might end up having to go through an online pharmacy or something since they seem to have less stupid and inconvenient rules about bulk dispensing medication... I mean, really, how are we going to misuse/abuse an asthma inhaler?! It's not like you can make meth from our meds or get high or overdose with them or anything. It's silly!!

I did find a vitamin shop online that sells our multi's in bulk and my protein shakes in 5 gallon buckets... at substantially discount. Thank goodness! If worse comes to worse, we might lose a bunch of weight during a winter if something goes wrong with the food supply, but at least we won't be malnourished!

Old 09-08-2008, 05:11 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
Quote:
First you get one of those free internet ordinations.

Then you wave your right hand in the air in the sign of the cross, over a container of water. While doing that, mumble in Latin "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti!"

The water has now been sanctified.

Take care not to splash or squirt demon-possessed individuals with this water, since they will howl and complain of it burning them and producing welts. And it's disrespectful - there's been a growing movement dedicated to advocating equal rights for the demon-possessed.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:24 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,943,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stropes View Post
Thanks! He's not very excited about it, but he's been off work for more than 6 months now. He can do very little but move from the bed to his recliner. He's just ready to have something done at this point.
Hurts to think about it Which disc? I had L-5 S-1, fused with a BAK cage, took a while to get back up to speed, but I can even kayak again, I don't let it stop me from anything, just find a different way to do some things. As long as he has a good nerosurgeon he will be ok

Old 09-08-2008, 07:25 PM

127 posts, read 346,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyoness View Post
Hurts to think about it Which disc? I had L-5 S-1, fused with a BAK cage, took a while to get back up to speed, but I can even kayak again, I don't let it stop me from anything, just find a different way to do some things. As long as he has a good nerosurgeon he will be ok
Yep, that's the one! We've heard great things about his doc, and he seems to be a straight-shooter. It's nice to know you are doing so well. I'm sure he'll get along fine, it's just a little daunting to think about it. But I'm sure you know that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska