Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 08:58 AM

345 posts, read 1,277,358 times

Advertisements

where i'm from in kentucky, lots of signs you cant even read because of all thebullet holes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 09:56 AM

823 posts, read 1,732,677 times
I think we should be thanking those that are shooting signs. It keeps the workers employed at Barnes, Federal, Winchester, and every other bullet and firearms manufacturer. These are your friends and neighbors that help keep the economy going. We should thank them for their effort, and the effort of those that shoot the signs and keep them in business.......................................... .......Nevermind, your right, shooting signs is just stupid.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:33 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
I'm happy to say that in this part of Alaska, all signs are not shot up!

Old 09-11-2008, 01:37 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times
If they are shooting signs they are not shooting each other. It's a small price to pay.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:38 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
This is just another typical liberal troll whose sole purpose is to bash Alaska and Alaskans so they can feel superior. Instead of shooting signs, we should be shooting these liberal freaks.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:50 PM

9 posts, read 28,302 times
Theres quite a few signs here in the Philadelphia suburbs with holes in them.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:36 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
Shoot all the signs, and let God sort 'em out.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:18 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,944,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I saw that sign when we were up there. The irony was priceless and made me laugh; but I don't agree with this sort of vandalism, shooting at metal (especially on the side of the road) is just plain dangerous for everyone involved. When I worked at the hospital in VA, we actually had to treat a guy who shot himself in the thigh via ricochet off a roadsign... would have been funny if his 4yo son wasn't standing right next to him, if it had been just 3 inches to the left that kid would've taken one to the forehead.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:56 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,487,518 times
Default Manley sign

Hey, the pics of that sign at at Manley Hot Springs indicate that at least half those bullet entered from the BACK of the sign. Look at the way the metal is bent, you can see which way it was going when the bullet hit. Now THATS some considerate vandalism, shooting away from the residential neighborhood.

Arizona is the state I recall seeing the most bullet-related vandalism in. It's virtually impossible to find a saguaro cactus without a slew of bullet holes in them. They're tough as nails, but there's no reason to go shooting up the state symbol just because you're bored.

Now as to some specific road signs, well, what do you expect when you put a silhouette of an elk or a moose on a sign? OF COURSE it's gonna get shot at, it's practically a given. They might as well just put a bullseye in the vitals zone and make it replaceable, like an archery target. Save some money in the long run.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:15 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
I saw that sign when we were up there. The irony was priceless and made me laugh; but I don't agree with this sort of vandalism, shooting at metal (especially on the side of the road) is just plain dangerous for everyone involved. When I worked at the hospital in VA, we actually had to treat a guy who shot himself in the thigh via ricochet off a roadsign... would have been funny if his 4yo son wasn't standing right next to him, if it had been just 3 inches to the left that kid would've taken one to the forehead.
You know, I thought the same when I found out about it: it's sort of funny, shooting a no shooting sign (and having that sort of sign in that area alone strikes me as funny), but it's incredibly dangerous shooting things like that. I think there's another picture floating around the net showing another no shooting sign next to the Tanana River, where there's a bench and whatnot, and while the sign isn't shot up in the pic, there were empty cartridge cases everywhere. Down here in my hometown, for years, the welcome sign on the highway had lots of damage from a few shotgun blasts. Scared a lot of out of state tourists apparently and got replaced...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska