Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2008, 02:11 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times

Advertisements

With as cloudy as it has been, I was happy just to see the moon the last few nights, and DC - you were exactly right, was beautiful and refreshing to see the sun glisten and sparkle in the moonlight!!! Mind you - this is coming from someone who does not really like snow, but this fall had been anticipating the snow for a some fall "outside" cleaning...totally new concept in my brain (anticipating snow), may be a little of the slow down and enjoy what is given...now for the sun farts!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 02:49 PM

959 posts, read 2,360,306 times
Default For Met or other SE dwellers...

Have you EVER seen lights on POW?? I have tried and tried...and never seen 'em. Too much damn cloud cover, normally, I realize--but is there hope for lights on a clear winter's night here??

Old 10-17-2008, 10:11 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
It's crisp and clear here in Kuparuk tonight...but the forcast is very low for th elights tonight. Figures...

Old 10-18-2008, 11:37 AM

4,137 posts, read 9,100,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamChasers8 View Post
I'm sorry if I sounded like I didn't know what caused it...I was just meaning it was my bad luck why everytime it's clear there are no lights out. But when it's cloudy there is suppose to be lots going on. Just my luck kind of a thing
Here's hoping for some sun farts...LOL
Ooooooooo....my mistake I didn't intend to come across as a 'know-it-all'! Last night would've been utterly sublime for the Lights...with the moon coming up over the mountains and clear, starry skies. I still haven't found the attachment for the tripod, Stephanie, but am keeping an eyeball out for it.
Yes...hope for grand sun farts!!

Old 10-19-2008, 11:37 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,216,070 times
It's alright hun, I know you know it all when it comes to these lights ...especially compared to me. Besides others reading this who might not have known all of that do now...so it wasn't a waste

I'm counting on you for pictures, no pressure, well actually lots, but really maybe just a little...oh hell with it, you take great shots of everything I'm sure the lights would be no different!!!

Old 10-19-2008, 11:38 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,216,070 times
HUH that is sooo cool I just looked at the last time you of your post and then mine...spooky

Old 10-23-2008, 03:15 AM

Meh...I am slacking. Night before last the Orionid meteor shower occurred and it was spectacular - for those who could witness it. There are faint ribbons of Lights outside of Fairbanks this night, the Poker Flats webcam is down but another that I subscribe to is running. I am keeping the fingers crossed that the skies will clear on Hallowe'en.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:35 PM

87 posts, read 179,427 times
I have a question, and forgive my lack of knowledge...
(I know that always scares 'em)

I have been looking at the UAF activity page , which states the activity is low. I am confused by the commentary, which indicates that the lights can still be seen "quietly" around certain areas of the Interior.

My question is this, if I am in the area and the activity is listed as QUIET, what are the chances that I will still be able to see the lights from Chena Hot Springs?

Thanks for humoring an excited tourist!

Old 10-23-2008, 11:47 PM

Quiet means simply that there may/may not be an Aurorae display, but it may simply be a mere band of light, perhaps not strong in visibility, perhaps not very distinct....and at times only visible via a camera.
Active displays are the ones that are (usually) vivid, perhaps more than the common green or white colour, more movement - ribbons, dancing, banners, etc.

But I have read at times a forecast of quiet displays only to have the sky erupt.

It's likely that you may have a 'quiet' display in that location...whereas that in all likelihood, a quiet display means (for me in the Mat-Su valley area) that I will have to look harder on the low northern horizon and freeze my arse off for a glimpse

Good luck and enjoy regardless.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:53 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,998,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandLady View Post
Quiet means simply that there may/may not be an Aurorae display, but it may simply be a mere band of light, perhaps not strong in visibility, perhaps not very distinct....and at times only visible via a camera.
Active displays are the ones that are (usually) vivid, perhaps more than the common green or white colour, more movement - ribbons, dancing, banners, etc.

But I have read at times a forecast of quiet displays only to have the sky erupt.

It's likely that you may have a 'quiet' display in that location...whereas that in all likelihood, a quiet display means (for me in the Mat-Su valley area) that I will have to look harder on the low northern horizon and freeze my arse off for a glimpse

Good luck and enjoy regardless.
Damnit Corinda, my name is Gary, in case you folks didn't realize it, when are we going to see a nice display? I don't know about you my friend, but I love it more and more each day living here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska