Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 02:43 PM

391 posts, read 1,025,137 times

Advertisements

Lets hope so, Bark. As (I believe) Megensmom stated, there was snow in the White Mountains last night. We had two MEDEVAC birds flying last night (nothing like flying on Friday nights--ugh) and my sister ship was trying to fly up to Table Top Mountain...west of Eagle Summit on the Steese...hit the snow showers and had to turn around.

They came over to where I was at Granite Tors (~15 miles south of Chena Hot Springs) and we only had light snow showers...until about 0100 when it moved in earnest. The point? Winter is BARELY over the horizon, now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 02:59 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,792,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Metal View Post
i do think the state would be fine if it were empty, letting nature do its thing without those exploiting its resources all the time. the way of life isnt that way for everybody, and not everyone there hunts.
There are quite a few people out there that believe that culling the human population would be the best idea for the planet.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:02 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,049,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
There are quite a few people out there that believe that culling the human population would be the best idea for the planet.

Consider your sweet self repped, Barkley.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:01 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,647,538 times
I'd imagine there are many close calls all over the state this time of year that the general public never hears about. All we would hear in the media is a search and rescues or some hunter never being found or being found dead.

Last edited by Rance; 09-17-2008 at 12:34 PM..

Old 09-17-2008, 12:00 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,282,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
That's the idea behind the Darwin Awards. Self-culling people, I mean.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:39 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,647,538 times
One can own all the latest equipment and accessories for camping hunting etc...but if you don't have a little common sense...all the latest and greatest still won't do much good. I had survival classes back in 9th grade. It was a class in school! We were hiked out in the woods, had to build shelters, make fires, scrounge food, set up visual aids for aircraft to help spot us, make and set snares etc...it was fun stuff. And I think it helped most of us prep for real life in Alaska. I'd like to see all the schools in this state provide that option for a class. Even in the bigger towns like Anchorage etc.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:46 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,338,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
They are still greenhorns in my book. They are lucky they didn't get rained on and get hypothermic. This time of year going into the woods with no matches or lighter is enough in itself to get you killed. They are dang lucky.
I completely agree. Their first mistake was to stay the night where they had just field-dressed their moose. Lost or not, any place would have been better than staying there.

They should have also had a GPS with their parked truck marked as a way point. Then it wouldn't matter if it was night or not, they would still be able to find their way back.

Once having decided to stay the night, they should have built some sort of crude shelter and a fire to stay warm and dry. Hypothermia can be deadly in more ways than just losing core body temperature. Just a mild case of hypothermia could have disoriented them both enough to get them really lost.

They were very lucky things worked out for them. I hope they learn from their experience.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:53 PM

471 posts, read 1,320,397 times
Quote:
One can own all the latest equipment and accessories for camping hunting etc...but if you don't have a little common sense...all the latest and greatest still won't do much good. I had survival classes back in 9th grade. It was a class in school! We were hiked out in the woods, had to build shelters, make fires, scrounge food, set up visual aids for aircraft to help spot us, make and set snares etc...it was fun stuff. And I think it helped most of us prep for real life in Alaska. I'd like to see all the schools in this state provide that option for a class. Even in the bigger towns like Anchorage etc.
If were talking about alaska, I would say alot of common sense and alot of survival know-how is needed. Look at Mr. Supertramp. He had a rifle, plant book, a shelter and some basic survival gear and he still bit the dust.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:02 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,792,190 times
Quote:
Excellent idea! +1

Old 09-17-2008, 01:08 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,338,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongazid View Post
If were talking about alaska, I would say alot of common sense and alot of survival know-how is needed. Look at Mr. Supertramp. He had a rifle, plant book, a shelter and some basic survival gear and he still bit the dust.
It does require some knowledge on how to hike and camp in bear country safely, which is in itself nothing more than common sense. Although, if one lives their life in a city, then the sense they require to hike or camp safely in the bush may not be so "common."

It is a lot safer to be a reckless hiker/camper in the lower-48. It doesn't matter where you are in the lower-48, or in which direction you travel, eventually you will encounter a road or some signs of civilization before going very far. That isn't true in Alaska. Other survival axioms that are applicable in the lower-48, don't apply in Alaska. For example, Boy Scouts in the lower-48 are taught that moss always grows on the north side of trees, which can be used to determine direction. That is not true in Alaska. Moss in Alaska grows on ALL sides of the tree.

Before people go into any unfamiliar environment, they should learn something about that environment, and how to take care of themselves in case of an emergency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska