U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 03:24 PM

10,479 posts, read 13,534,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
One can own all the latest equipment and accessories for camping hunting etc...but if you don't have a little common sense...all the latest and greatest still won't do much good. I had survival classes back in 9th grade. It was a class in school! We were hiked out in the woods, had to build shelters, make fires, scrounge food, set up visual aids for aircraft to help spot us, make and set snares etc...it was fun stuff. And I think it helped most of us prep for real life in Alaska. I'd like to see all the schools in this state provide that option for a class. Even in the bigger towns like Anchorage etc.
Rance, I once took a wilderness survival class in college. It was one of my favorite classes, we spent a weekend in the Nicolet Forest, hiked in a couple miles, set up our own shelters, cooked our own food, etc. I would like to take more of those classes & also do some sort of retreat. I also have a couple of wilderness survival books, but you know, until you do it you have no idea what it's like. Positive mental attitude & keeping your wits about you goes a long way too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 03:42 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,239,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
One can own all the latest equipment and accessories for camping hunting etc...but if you don't have a little common sense...all the latest and greatest still won't do much good. I had survival classes back in 9th grade. It was a class in school! We were hiked out in the woods, had to build shelters, make fires, scrounge food, set up visual aids for aircraft to help spot us, make and set snares etc...it was fun stuff. And I think it helped most of us prep for real life in Alaska. I'd like to see all the schools in this state provide that option for a class. Even in the bigger towns like Anchorage etc.
They do in Juneau.

http://www.juneauempire.com/stories/...c_safety.shtml

Old 09-17-2008, 03:47 PM

21,358 posts, read 32,370,336 times
About twenty years ago I took Arctic Survival and learned a bunch. We went on a field trip into the woods in winter and got separated into groups and had to build a fire. There was a stolen snowmachine near our group so I thought it would be a good idea and get some gas from it and start a fire with it. Our instructor came over and failed us for cheating on starting a fire. We argued with him and told him that the only reason we'd be out there is that we broke down on the snowmachine and had to use the gas to help start the fire. After he thought about it, he changed his mind and gave us a A in the class.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:21 PM

6,381 posts, read 11,973,451 times
Rather pleasant to see this thread up and running again!

Old 09-17-2008, 10:17 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,239,391 times
starlite, I don't know about you, but I am so tired of seeing newbies who's idea of survival training and awareness is checking for a cell phone signal....

Old 09-18-2008, 10:46 PM

639 posts, read 1,652,712 times
A little off topic here but SOMEONE turned the heat off in my part of AK. It went from cool to foggy nasty hand freezing cold.

Old 09-19-2008, 03:14 AM

1,255 posts, read 1,857,364 times
A close shave. See -

YouTube - Bear Attack Alaskan death wish

Old 09-20-2008, 01:15 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,596,336 times
dont know too much bout moose but got a friend who bear hunts in alaska extreme sports stuff. very dangerous. a bad drop can get you killed in a jiffy.
stay on the truck huck.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:24 PM

639 posts, read 1,652,712 times
I would love to see our school here have some type of survival classes for the older kids. Most kids here either snow machine,ski,or trap and it would be nice to know that they have a little knowledge in case it is ever needed.
My sons want to get into mushing and I have gotten my a book but nothing beats a live person talking to them so they can answer questions.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:35 PM

6,381 posts, read 11,973,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notreesininceland View Post
That is why you at "least" carry a pistol to make some noise to scare them off. If the guy wasn't armed and "Mom" thought he was a threat, he would have been up "S**t Creek" and no paddle... Having a weapon and not needing it is much better than needing it and not having it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or