U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 10:49 AM

4,163 posts, read 5,784,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I think Cheney is a sound shooter. He probably never looked to see what he was shooting at. He just shot because he heard a sound. Dumbazz...
The thing is, there are many out there just like him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 05:20 PM

4,465 posts, read 4,529,913 times
As someone who considered moving to Ak back in the 90's- including an exploratory trip- I don't believe many (numbers-wise, although even small numbers will translate into a % increase in population.) will actually move and stay.

Too much myth v reality.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:12 PM

17,045 posts, read 10,901,516 times
If boat loads of people start coming to Alaska they will learn a whole new definition for PETA - People Encountering Testy Alaskans

Just when you thought all the propaganda about Alaska being a "frozen wasteland" where everyone lives in igloos, and the male to female ratio is 1,000 to 1 would keep the vast majority of people away, the damn media has to come along and spoil our myths.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:04 PM

5,964 posts, read 6,905,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
Trust me on this people of Alaska. Your state is about to get a wave of new citizens it has never seen before. The press coverage you are getting is unbelievable down here. I go to the coffee shop, starbucks, eateries, and everyone is talking about Alaska. It is EVERYWHERE! Many I've spoken with are looking into moving up there. Especially when they hear about getting $3300 per year to reside there! I went to Lowes the other day and three of the workers there had purchased tickets to make an exploratory trip up there to see what type of work they could find. I hope your infrastructure is ready for it. I visited Alaska once many years ago when in the service. Not for me, but with the way they are glamorizing it, LOOK OUT HERE THEY COME!

Down here, it is 24/7 Alaska this and Alaska that and none of it looks too bad in my opinion.
Do Alaskans a favor. Inform these freeloaders that the $3300 included a $1200 energy assistance which is probably a one-time thing. If they are moving there for the PFD they are freeloaders and will not be welcomed. BTW the PFD fund just took a bad hit from investments. Also if they are working at Lowe's and think they will find that kind of employment in Alaska and make it, they might be in for a big surprise. It actually costs more to live in Alaska. I don't think Alaskans are worried about "here they come."

Old 09-16-2008, 08:13 PM

4,465 posts, read 4,529,913 times
I think Americans are interested in Alaska for 3 primary reasons:

1. The corporate media PR blitz for Gov. Palin.

2. The country has gone belly-up, and people want to move..... somewhere.....anywhere they think it's better. Alaska is glamorized tremendously in the lower 48, so....

3. The state benifits mentioned above sound great, and I'll wager not 1 in 100 Americans knows the economic/social reality in Alaska.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:17 PM

11,763 posts, read 17,764,522 times
I want to move to Alaska & play ice golf in Barrow.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:45 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,453,863 times
I lived in Seattle for 22 years, but never made it up to Alaska as a tourist. Left Seattle because I was sick of all the rain. Checking your weather these past few weeks, it looks like you all get your share of clouds and rain too?

I'm enjoying life very much in NC. So far since I've been here, I've experienced a thunder storm so intense, I thought Jesus brought down a 70s strobe light from heaven. A lightening strike actually split a tree 15 ft from my house in half! Then we got a hurricane. No big deal all in all, but still a new experience. People here think the weather is bad when a cloud blows over. They have no idea what they are in for if they do try out Alaska.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:54 PM

3,701 posts, read 5,826,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I want to move to Alaska & play ice golf in Barrow.
Or you could go to Kodiak and play cross country golf up Pillar Mt. I think it's something like a one hole/par 90. In the snow, naturally.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:34 PM

15,920 posts, read 4,554,624 times
You people are absolutely nuts!!!!

In a good way!

Hope to visit in '09

Old 09-16-2008, 09:40 PM

8,672 posts, read 9,632,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
I think Americans are interested in Alaska for 3 primary reasons:

1. The corporate media PR blitz for Gov. Palin.

2. The country has gone belly-up, and people want to move..... somewhere.....anywhere they think it's better. Alaska is glamorized tremendously in the lower 48, so....

3. The state benifits mentioned above sound great, and I'll wager not 1 in 100 Americans knows the economic/social reality in Alaska.
Amen and no clue what reality is......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska